Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I completely understand. And with most actors/actresses, I would just respect the opinion. It's just unique with RC, as I usually only read universal praise in regards to her, and I've always had a level of respect for her because I've felt that she gave it her all 100% of the time, on a show (GH) where half the actors barely even show up.

• Members

Calm yourself. I was simply saying that I understand this entire thread is about opinions, and if it had been most others I would just say "Oh I disagree, but I respect their opinion." RC is just a unique case, in MY opinion. No disrespect intended. Let's simmer down!

• Members

The 80s version of GH was not my favorite era for that soap.

I never liked Kim McCullough as a child actress and I did not like her any better after she grew up. The only exception I'll make is that I thought she was wonderful in the Stone's death story. That was still one of the best stories GH ever aired.

I'm not sure KMc is overhyped in general, but apparently Cartini think she's popular enough that viewers care whether she's dead or alive. I think the actress is boring and so is her character, so blah.

• Members

<p>

</p>

<p>I got slapped the other day for naming Deidre Hall as one of the worst on Days. There are many &quot;sacred cows&quot;, it's just a matter of who wants to take a poster to task at any moment.</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

• Members

I wasn't trying to take anyone to task. I was simply saying it was a unique situation. There have been others named here that I don't agree with - Robin Christopher is just one that I was confused by. I didn't think it would cause so much hoopla..sheesh.

• Members

I'm not sure what the essnece of the character was supposed to be. The main reason Lucky had interest before Liz was because he was Luke Jr. He aped Geary's mannerisms to a tee, and was the typical cute kid.

When the show decided to once and for all obliterate the Lucky/Liz relationship once JJ returned, he spent years doing nothing but weeping, and hanging out with a cipher with a bad Irish accent. The character was some type of Job figure, and a selfish deadbeat. I don't remember this being anything like what Lucky was during the years the soap press hyped him most and he was supposed to be the great legacy of the Luke and Laura love story.

As for Robin Christopher, she is a very unique actress, with very unique needs in the writing. She was a cold fish on AW - a bizarre choice to replace the vibrant Alicia Coppola. On OLTL, she stuck out like a sore thumb. On GH, she had her moments with certain actors and when the show really tried. Unfortunately, both she and the show seemed to stop caring long before she was gone.

AMC was *her* show, even if she supposedly never wanted to go back. AMC was home to many reserved, ice-and-fire actresses, like Julia Barr and Kate Collins. It's a shame that she was instead shipped around the rest of the daytime lineup like a lost package.

• Members

The essence of Lucky was based on his inhabiting the spirit of his parents, Luke and Laura, as that was clear from the moment that JJ stepped into the role as an 11 year old. The writing was strong enough for him to eventually stand alone as an individual character in his own right - a challenge that JJ accepted and excelled at depicting. The fact that his portrayal is lauded over the two weak ones and that he was able to overcome Guza's terrible storylines is a testament to his talent and understanding of his character.

And no, Robin Christopher isn't unique - she's simply a dull actress who is serviceable at best. The fact that she has failed to make an impression with what should be a legacy character (whether it'd be Chandler-born or Quartermaine-born) pretty much drives that home.

• Members

IMO it's more about the type of acting which gets praise from critics. Screaming and crying will often do it. I was mostly unmoved by the fits because I just felt like they all blended together, and took away from scenes. For instance, the scene where he raged at Laura for the rape, I saw an actor having a fit. It reminds me of Tom Pelphrey, who got praise for the same thing. Greg Vaughan isn't a great actor but when he had moments, I was more moved by them than anything Jonathan Jackson did.

I don't think anyone could overcome Guza's writing. I think that when JJ returned people were happy because of their memories of the past, but I don't think a lot of viewers were happy with the return (and apparently JJ wasn't either).

• Members

I was sometimes surprised by GV's acting. He wasn't always good, but he certainly had his moments. He had the quality of seeming like a nice guy which is rare on GH. I just realized how odd it was to say that, but I believe it's true.

Purely on a superficial note, he was total eye candy.

• Members

GV was held back for a number of reasons. He was only ever given one story in his tenure and he nailed it. During the Black and White Ball and the immediate aftermath, he was fabulous to watch - presenting as the kind of guy I'd certainly want support from in a family crisis.

Was he brilliant? Nope, not particularly. But who knows what might have been possible if the writer had been interested in him.

And I think that can be said for just about anyone. For me personally, the correlation between "over-hyped" and "over-exposed" is completely obvious. Soaps like their Stars, but that doesn't mean they can actually do the job well.

Archived