Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're my soul sister wub.png ! I feel exactly the same way!

As someone mentioned, her "coldness", that was one of my favorite aspects of her, her main character "Skye", was exactly that an Ice Princess. And when she had emotional moments, it made it all the more heartwrenching, cause you weren't used to seeing that in her character. I just feel like she always gave her all, even when the material was lackluster Okay, I'm done gushing, sorry tongue.png

On JJ, I never really understood the dislike for him. Yes, he cried alot and sniffled. But I feel like he always sold his material. Among the younger actors, I never felt like he was "coasting", something Maurice, Steven, Anthony,etc always do.

• Members

All three are playing characters pretty much retconned to suit the actors.

Miller isn't playing Billy. He's playing himself.

Just because he was good on one soap doesn't mean he automatically will be on another.

Any number of good soap actors have failed on other soaps.

Take Stephen Nichols for example. Awesome on DOOL, ok on GH & a disaster on Y&R.

On Y&R Miller has yet to bring anything worthwhile to the character or play anything that isn't specifically written for him.

He also hasn't made any of his million pairings work.

JJ is a good actor but without Geary & especially Genie Francis he's mediocre.

David Tom is a much better actor than JJ (except on OLTL).

• Members

I too feel Billy Miller is playing himself from the slang he throws in to some of the scenes, to Billy's overall "Oh well" type personality. And I hate watch peoplepeople play themselves because it's not really acting and the characters come off as annoying.

Yeah but GH has had quite a few blah in the looks department people who can't act.

• Members

Lol that's what I said. At this point one or two hair models could just play reoccuring.Everyone is average to lower in the looks department. The last woman I found stunning was Annie and she's long gone and while she was on she was underused and mostly understyled. And the last man who I thought was hot was a one scene dayplayer.

• Members

Other than Sean Blakemore (and who knows if he'll ever be back), you all are right about no hot GH men on the show. Someone mentioned AI and, well, she sure blew the majority of the women on the show out the water in the looks department (another reason why I believe that she wasn't given enough airtime).

The closest thing that this show has to a good looking guy on the show right now with any type of charisma is the guy that plays Johnny. Yet, his character has replaced Jax as the one that gets Sonny's sloppy seconds. How dreadful.

• Members

I'm trying to remember if I have ever seen him connect to any of his screen partners, maybe Sharon Case and Bergman once upon a time. It's funny how Amelia gets so much flack. She's the one who has carried that atrocious Villy since it's inception.

What I will say about Muhrey is at least he seems invested in what he's doing which is more than I can say for the rest over on that show.

• Members

I dislike Heinle's Victoria, which is odd because I have liked AH in other roles.

She plays Victoria like she's clinically depressed, too much of a departure for a character who used to be tough enough to go toe-to-toe with Victor and win more often than she lost.

I don't think being paired with Billy Miller's narcissistic version of Billy Abbott has done AH any favors.

• Members

You're very right and that does affect who tunes in as well. I'm still young so I remember the days not too long ago of opening an issue of Teen People magazine and seeing the hot men of summer photoshoots and they would have one with the hot soapmen in there 20s. Can't lie the hot men are what helped draw us to some of the soaps because we saw these hot older men in love scenes. I knew soaps from having sat through them for years via my babysitter but I didn't take my own interest in following them closely until we started noticing the men, and we had our favorite female characters we liked to root for and admired their looks.

• Members

GV was effective, but that was it. He was extremely likable as the emasculated loser version of Lucky. He had no dramatic power to his scenes and it was shown when he confronted Laison when they lied to him about Jake's paternity, compare that scene to the work Jackson did when he found out Nikoleth slept together and there is no comparison to which one was the better actor in the reveal. JJ tore Becky apart and then then picked her bones with his teeth, that's how overwhelmingly powerful his scene work was.

I completely agree. The only explanation I can think of for his immense dislike on this board is that the Liz fans are salty because JJ massacred their sacred heroine on the 25th of January, 2010. I don't care though, because his work speaks for itself. This scene below is probably one of my favorite scenes in the history of GH/soaps because Lucky finally rips her apart for all of her lies and duplicity. Further clips are shown on Youtube and it's just beautifully deserved soap carnage that I can't get enough of. I would write odes to the writers responsible for the dialogue if I could because it's just that well performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIMY_NyhuU

Basically.

I actually think Nichols has been great. It's the writing that is often the problem. I don't blame him at all for the awful way Tucker has been treated under MAB.

That's fair, but again I ask if that's really his fault persay. This incarnation of Billy is a nightmare of a character to play well and we can disagree but I really don't think that is necessarily BM's fault. He plays Billy as he is written, as a narcissistic, self-absorbed, immature, addict who can't get his act together for anything. He is a perpetual screw up who doesn't really want to change. I would say that is extremely difficult to make likable under any circumstances especially in the hero mold that they have tried to carve out for him. If nothing else I think BM is the epitome of that in the role. He is giving a performance that is exactly who Billy is, if nothing else.

True. I don't like anyone on that cast for the most part.

Perfectly apt description.

Great description as well, but I don't really think that specifically is Miller's fault. This is exactly what Shaffer and MAB want him to be and I think he is just delivering it to them.

• Members

Oh please people can not like JJ on his own merits. Sounds like sour grapes from fol,s who can't handle that not everyone thinks JJ is the soap messiah. I ror one cannot stand Liz so my dislike of JJs Lucky has absolutely nothing to do with her.

As for those powerful scenes, it was some of the most blatant woman hating writing Guza has ever produced. Liz gets lambasted while shocking Nilolas his brother skates by. I didn't see anything groundbreaking in that on the again crying and shrieking that occurred.

• Members

I thought GV did fine with his confrontation of Liason I don't always need the overdramatic ripping apart of a person over their actions. I didn't care to see JJ's Lucky do it to Liz because it reminded me of Nik and Sonny's whore tirades the year before.Which I laughed when people tried to call those powerful too. And I hate Liz and was happy when Rebecca told her off.

Oh and another problem I have with some of Billy Miller's performances is that I know he loves booze, he's stated several times he lvoes to drink and he has had a bar building business for years, but I shoudn't be able to tell that you're hungover or high or whatever during your scenes, and there were quite a few of them last year where it was obvious.

Archived