Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Members

Yeah Vanessa's looks played a bigger part than anything for her sucess outside of soaps. Eva doesnt even like to acknowledge her Y&R past. I forget what late night talk show it was but they played her clips from Y&R and she cringed at her own acting during them. I don't see Jensen ACkles playing anything over dramatic on Supernatural

And what two series in Primetime did Vanessa have? She had Las Vegas that's all I remember. Focusing solely on being over dramatic doesnt help you when going for roles in primetime wher eyou have to be more subtle.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for someone to mention her. Granted, I've seen very little of her myself, but I do know there are definitely those who feel she was severely overhyped.

And while she wasn't overhyped on daytime at all, some feel Marcia Cross has been overhyped since DH (Melrose Place? Not so much. Heather Locklear was probably the most hyped about person on that show--and I'm saying this as someone who knows the theme song of that show better than almost anything else about it--I seriously need to watch that show!).

• Members

The term overhyped I think means that they actually add something over the ordinary in their performances and to the shows they are attached to. Certainly vm did that her initial run and I guess JJ did but what made them interesting was the freshness and writing and with Vanessa she had charisma. Both returns were universally panned and I find it interesting how those returns get panned due to writing when in reality both lost the freshness that made them unique and interesting to watch which is why neither had any kind of impact on ratings. Nostalgia only carries you so far and a new actor and preferential writing was not enough to make Lucky a rootable character again nor was the slanted writing. Vanessa lost her charisma and her ability to generate chemistry which was her strongest factor. So damn straight they were overhyped as their returns never garnered the ROI I assume ABC expected.

As for Sarah I think it's time to put her to bed and I like her a lot (her Carly was my fave)but it's been years and role after role and she has been overhyped to death yet has not lived up to the hype on any show she's joined including her return to GH.

She was and I guess that says how memorable she was on that show. I totally forgot she was on their for a season.

• Members

I don't even remember her from that show. The role mustve been small so I wouldn't count that as her show.

And I don't understand why the excuses are being made for daytime soap actors to be one note(I'm not just talking about this thread but in general) as if their arent making thousands a year being on tv everyday. We harshly critique primtime and movie stars performances. What makes the soap actors any different? There are alot of aspiring actors looknig for work who would love steady gigs and would give their best performance.

• Members

Per the Vanessa Marcil discussion, I fully admit that I am a superfangirl.stan of hers (or rather, of Brenda Barrett), which is why the overwhelming hate towards both her and her character (especially the last time around) reeked of picking-on-the-popular-girl syndrome - so much so that appreciation of her was an unpopular statement. That played into the reason why I not only stopped watching full time upon her departure, but why I refuse to take the complaints about the "OLTLers taking over and ruining GH" seriously.

From where I stood, the shitty writing for Brenda (as well as JJ Lucky and Robin) was proof enough that this show was gutted long before Cartini came along with the OLTL characters.

• Members

I don't hate Vanessa in fact I loved Brenda.I think her return was bad and she was partially responsible. I don't see why liking someone means you can't point out short comings. I feel the same for Jonathan. Critics over the years have panned performances by Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, even Meryl Streep so I am not sure why someone is considered a hater just because they don't happen to think the sun rises and shines on someone regardless. Everyone in this industry has gotten bad writing over the past many years not just GH actors.I could say Genie Francis was overhyped at Y&R also when you look at how thats culminated and she's not entirely at fault either but her earlier performances gave a lot to bt desired.

• Members

As someone who has never watched GH and only saw that situation from the sidelines, I have to agree. It was interesting to see the level of hostility directed at Marcil. I blame a lot of that on Frons and the hype machine. In his effort to treat her as the second coming he created and stoked a lot of resentment towards her, especially with that three hour Brendapalooza where they bumped the entire lineup. Now THAT was hype. I never thought I'd see a worse bungling of promotion than "real Greenlee" but damn if Frons didn't outdo himself and screw the actor in the process. No one could live up to that. No one.

• Members

I never stated that any actor couldn't be critiqued, as I've done plenty of that (including in this thread). However, there's a difference between not believing that an actor/character farts rainbows and going out of one's way to spew vitriol at a character/actor. What I saw was the latter and it had everything to do with picking on the popular girl, as this seems to be a common theme with certain soap viewers when it comes to certain actresses/characters (and yes, I said actresses, since the majority of the bitterness is directed at women in a way that isn't directed at their male counterparts).

Much as I ate the Brendapalooza up with a jumbo spoon, I have no problem agreeing with the fact that the blitz behind her return was over the top (as I don't believe that they'd done this when Kimberly McCullough - a far more integral cast member/character than VMG Brenda - came back to the show five years before) - especially when they forced her to be around characters that she had no business being around (looking straight at the dead weight that is Jason).

However, when all was said and done, she was made out to be a scapegoat by many and that reflected in the horrible writing that was designed to put her character "in her place" - something that they wouldn't felt compelled to do if she were male. Frankly, the only thing that Vanessa Marcil Giovinazzo is/was guilty of is having the right people behind her to make sure that they are able to works the soap industry so that she can profit handsomely from it and I see no difference between that and what many people behind soap male stars have done and continue to do.

• Members

I used to love Brenda. Maybe that was part of the reason I was so disappointed in VMG this time around. Whatever the reason, I have definitely fallen out of love with her.

The strange acting choices VMG discussed mostly took place during the period before Brenda actually arrived in Port Charles. It was a genuine turnoff. It also didn't help that the amazing chemistry that once existed between MB and VMG is gone. There had still been some of that left in her next to last incarnation on the show (when Brenda was downright obnoxious), but it had been snuffed this time around. I don't blame VMG for that; chemistry is either there or it's not. Brenda was always one of the sexiest characters in daytime, not sexual as in showing off her mammaries at all times, but genuinely sensual.

It was probably a combination of odd acting choices and the fact that VMG barely resembles herself, along with the mugging, all of that pointing at her scene partners and other odd tic-y gestures, and that infernal cackling. Brenda always felt real and genuine, like a warm human being lived inside her. I didn't feel that this time around. I was disappointed because I wanted to still like her.

• Members

Soapnet had I believe a weekend Brenda marathon the week before she arrived. Plus ABC also cut out original episodes of AMC, OLTL, and GH for a day and replaced them with Brenda centric episodes from the past.

And I want to say I don't blame Vanessa entirely but the entertainment business is fickle. Someone who is loved today is forgotten tomorrow. Her story was awful and she was stuck for months working opposite Burton, and the actor that plays Dante. So while she was not very good she was stuck working opposite some of the most lethargic actors on the show.

Archived