Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Members

And this right there is why her last stint sucked - because of the bad writing, shitty plots, and unnecessary characters in her grill. Had they provided her with good writing and limited her romantic tension to Sonny/Jax while allowing her more screentime with the people that matter (Robin and the Quartermaines), then it wouldn't have been a fail.

Moving on....

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Shj17ZOQtgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this ish happened EVERYDAY for the months leading up to her return. I dont think ANY actor/character in the history of daytime had this much hype associated with a return. It was overboard. I remember ABC preempting OLTL and AMC to air a Brenda marathon. She didnt deserve all this attention

The ones in 2002 were almost as bad with the Brenda, Brenda, BRENDA! tagline

To be fair, most of the Quartermaines were dead by the time she came back.

• Members

Like they couldn't have resurrected AJ for the occasion....tongue.png

I kid, I kid.

Moving on for real this time - another overrated actress is Robin Christopher, simply because she is boring on every soap that I've seen her playing Skye (whatever her last name is). I've heard some say that she reminds them of an old-school style of soap acting, but I can't say that she mad an impression in the old school clips that I've seen of her on 80s AMC (especially when Julia Barr and David Canary acted circles around her).

• Members

The problem I always had with Robin Christopher is her aloofness, her innate remoteness. She's always an emotional arm's-length away from everyone else. She's one of the most beautiful women who ever appeared on soaps, but I could never feel her and after a while I stopped trying.

She got no favors from the writing. The worst was when she saw Alexis' little girl Kristina and immediately decided, "Pretty girl. I want her. Give her to me." She did her best to take that kid away from Alexis for no better reason than that.

Most GH fans never got over it. I didn't like Alexis all that much and I hated it.

It always felt like they were trying to find a place where they could wedge her in. Didn't matter if it didn't work, wedge her in anyway. The Quartermaine story was awful.

• Members

It's interesting to me that JJ's returned is seen as being a "universally panned one." I know this is a heavily Liz centric board more often then not, so I know I usually have to take a mountain top amount of salt when I come on here when any thing concerning her comes to pass in conversation. But I don't believe JJ's return was at all seen as universally panned.

I get that there are GV sympathizers who hate the fact that he was forced out of a job for the original portrayer to return (I liked him too, for what it is worth) but I think that takes it a bit far. JJ got another Emmy based on his return and will likely get another nomination for his work for this past year, so I can't agree with the census on this board that pigeonholes his return as a critical panned one. Especially when so much came out of it that was highly regarded in terms of performances. As to the characterization of Lucky I have to ask where all of this outrage was prior to JJ being in the role? Where was all of this anger concerning Lucky when he was being railroaded day in and day out by Jason and Liz for nearly three years straight prior to his return? Being completely honest had JJ not come back it is very likely that Guza would have had Lucky shot by Jason during a police/mob shoot out during a sweeps period for shock value and then to add further insult to his memory he probably would have had Liz and Jason screwing all over his penthouse on his 500th floor while they "greieved" over their "lost friend" before the body ever began to cool. That is how much Guza cared about the Lucky character under GV's portrayal.

If nothing else JJ gave strong, memorable performances that GH hasn't seen in years and I mean that literally. I can't remember the last time there was a powerhouse male performer on GH outside of Geary and his one-off's. He was easily the best actor on the show and was often at times the only performer who gave a damn about his scene work. Not only that Lucky was actually validated as a character, was respected as a man and most importantly was made into his own person that was respected by other people. He wasn't Liz's whipping boy who she constantly cheated on and he wasn't salivating all over Jason's scraps for any kind of attention from the borgs horde of women. He had his job as a cop, he had his own issues that he dealt with the best he knew how, he had a life outside of Liz's affairs and he was a competent man in his own right who lived by his rules. He wasn't the constant butt monkey for every character that existed. JJ did miracles for Lucky as a character after the complete bastardization of what Guza did to Lucky under GV and JY. I think that needs to be mentioned. He was the only version of Lucky who truly stands as a fully realized character even threw Guza's bull.

I agree about this. Everyone loves Robin Christopher, but she was too cold and unavailable for me to truly love and engage with her. Although I loved her with Jax.

• Members

This is a perfect example of what I think of when I see the word "overhyped." Promos like these and real Greenlee. Those are the definition of hype and no actor can live up that level of hype.That's different than online hype which basically consists of bloggers, scoopsters and poll-jacking fanbases trying to astroturf buzz. (See the GH casting spoiler thread.) So to go back to my original post, I guess I have to admit that KDP isn't overhyped, just terribly, terribly overrated.

I'm also going to add Roger Howarth to that list. I used to LOVE him and I admit that I once thought he was incredibly talented but when he checked out he really checked out and like Vanessa Marcil I think he's a case of "you can't go home again." Also, now that I have some distance, I think that keeping Todd Manning on the canvas after the rape was one of the worst decisions OLTL ever made. I think it was bad for the actor, the show and the genre. But that's a whole different topic.

One other addition, and I kind of hate to say it since I like a lot about this actress, is Cady McClain. I never saw her as Rosanna on ATWT but her last few stints as Dixie were atrocious. She had good moments but I always got the feeling that she didn't like playing Dixie.

• Members

In 2006/2007, she basically came back to AMC to play Rosanna with short hair. She wasnt a fan of goody two shoes Dixie and wanted the role to be edgier, which is why that affair with David was written in towards the end of her previous run. She wanted Dixie to come back a changed woman which is why she was so awful in 2007. Unfortunately for her, the character of Dixie isnt meant ot be some selfish bitch and it never worked when they tried to write her with those characteristics. Only further ruined her. Who knows what her 2011 return would have done but the show was cancelled and we never got a chance to find out

• Members

NLG crushed her, but thanks for posting.

Her 05-07 return ruined Dixie as a character and completely cannibalized anything that could have been there for her 2011 return, it's a shame. That being said I do tend to think that she (the Dixie character) is overrated, people have said that Dixie is the heart of Pine Valley and well I don't see it. I never thought Dixie was a great character although I do think she had fire and heart during her second return 96-02' more so then any other time I viewed her character, clips and all.

• Members

Yes to all of what you've said, though I'll take it a step further and say that JJ Lucky was the only Lucky that existed for me since I never did care for that block of wood that preceded him. And despite what some think, Liz isn't needed to validate his character - as he did just fine as a fully realized character four years prior to her arrival. Like you said, JJ Lucky managed to remain true to the essence of the character in spite of Guza's shitastic writing - a true testament to Jonathan Jackson's talent.

I think you've hit the nail on the head as to why I've never found her a compelling actress. Granted, Skye was supposed to be a Snobby McSnob, but I've never been given a reason to care about her beyond her being someone's daughter. It's no surprise that she's always played second fiddle to whatever brothers/sisters that she's been assigned to, whether she's a Chandler or a Quartermaine (I'm not sure what her surname was on OLTL).

• Members

I love Robin C. (and I'm not picking on you) but I think this is a good example of what people mean by overhyped. People like who they like and hate who they hate. I think when we try to convince others that an actor is good, it disserves the actor. For example, a while ago, I made an offhand comment that I thought KDP was two-faced and a couple of her fans jumped all over me telling me how wonderful she was and what a bitch I was for not seeing it. You can't make people like an actor or a character and trying to do that only creates hate and resentment.

Archived