GH: Discussion for the Month of February

• Members

I don't think anyone is outraged about the legacy of Hope. It's mostly just the laziness of yet another dead child on a soap, especially since the main focus was on Michael.

I would say that I thought KA did a decent job in the post-crash scenes, aside from that hilarious OW OW OW. Duell is sort of the same all the time but he was OK. Comparing this to the Helena scenes which were supposed to be so chilling was another example of today's soaps not having the time or talent for those moments. Geary and Nathan Parsons both acted like they were in a bad basement production. I was watching with someone who was taking the episode seriously and drawn in, but when they had the closeup of Tony Geary and his bad makeup going AAAGGGH!!!, they burst out laughing.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it's too soon for me to say that GH is better, but the last week was good, imo. If nothing else the show has been more exciting then it's been in a good long while. It's also been a long time since GH has made me feel much of anything, but watching Mac, Anna and Patrick grieve was pretty gut wrenching. I never was much of a Robin fan, but I think they have handled her death pretty well given the change in writers midstream. It's obvious she was originally going to die of HIV and someone didn't like it and changed direction. Probably a good call given how upset so many people were about that ending for her.

• Members

I can't believe they'd kill off Cole & Hope! What was the point of even having him get out of jail on OLTL if he was going to die this soon? If Ron could bring back Eli, Tea, Mitch and Victor on OLTL, he'll no doubt have these 2 pop up alive in the next few months.

Yeah, Todd vs. Sonny with their kids in love caught in the middle. UGH!!!

Not much Ron & Frank did on OLTL made sense to me.tongue.png

Yup!

That's exactly why I never got on the Ron & Frank bandwagon. Their stories never made me feel anything for the characters.

Of course, Starr will fall for Michael so their father's feud will keep them apart. What else would you expect from Ron & Frank?

In terms of violence, I think they're equal.

I had low hopes to start with but I'll keep watching through Robin's funeral anyway, then GH will be off my DVR for the forseeable future.

• Members

It may be true that in terms of violence RC is off to quite a start, but I also think the violence is being shown to have an actual impact on the show now. Ethan and Luke were both horrified to see Cassandra murdered by her own mother. Instead of acting cynical as usual, Luke actually showed some emotion.

Robin's death is having a real impact on a lot of people. Maxie, Mac, Anna and Patrick all got some really good reaction scenes.

I thought Hope and Cole's death was also well done, considering the audience doesn't have a connection to these characters.

RC and his team have managed to raise the stakes and make these events feel like they have emotional impact, imo. Guza was pretty decent at this when he did his sweep stunts too, but GW just couldn't pull it off.

I certainly don't think RC is going to be a savior to GH. I think it's too late, but it's possible that he is the right one to send the show off the air (short of Labine or Montey). He's on the right track bringing back people like Anna, Robert and Holly. As I recall, OLTL fans loved RC's first 6 months of OLTL, then the reviews were mixed. If the internet buzz is correct, all he has to do is give us six good months of GH and it's over anyway.

• Members

The acting from Geary and Nathan Parsons was so horrible that most of the impact of Irina's death was lost, to me. I guess on paper it might have been more affecting.

I really wish they had killed Ethan too.

RC and FV always have a lot of violence but don't quite back it up emotionally - turning the "death" of a young father and a child into Michael moping about his "promise" was very hollow, along with the general non-reactions to Robin's death. No one at the hospital, aside from Patrick, seemed to give a care. I think they may be a little lost without old crutches like TW. If David Vickers had been there to crack some jokes like, "I was going to remake Woman in White - now it's more like Corpse in Red," RC may have felt more comfortable.

At the time the strike was blamed. RC is similar to Hogan Sheffer in that for a long time, someone else was always at fault for writing flaws.

Archived