All Soaps: Were There Writers/Producers Who Disliked/Hated A Character?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I felt like JFP had a strong dislike or just lack of understanding for the Alexandra Spaulding character. She made Alex into a shrew, and took away anything else in her life. When Beverlee McKinsey left this got worse and worse and by the time JFP was transferred to AW, Alex was a shrieking plot device/meddler.

It seems like if JFP couldn't give powerful women stories about how the love of a good man saved them, she just was not interested.

• Members

Pratt - Jesse, Bianca, Annie, AIDAN, Petey, Marian

McTavish - TAD, Dixie, Reggie, Mimi, David

Frons - Adam, Brooke

Guza - AJ, Jax, Laura, Justus, Alan, Zander

Higley - Kevin & Joey Buchanan, Nora

JFP - Cassie

Malone - Keri Reynolds, RJ Gannon & Rae Cummings

Sheffer - Jack Snyder, Bonnie, Lisa, Isaac, Molly, Jessica

Brad Bell - Thorne Forrester, Kristen Forrester, Felicia Forrester

Carlivati - Rachel Gannon, Layla Williamson, Cristian Vega

• Members

Yeah, Ron hated Rachel, that's why he brought her back on contract. I don't buy that [!@#$%^&*]. I also don't buy that he hated Cris or Layla, as that era with them and Kish was probably Layla's only good story, ever. I'm not defending how they fell by the wayside for the Fords, that was disgusting as has been a lot of his choices, but IMO he did more with all of them in a limited timeframe than Y&R has done with its post-Rowell black canvas in several years.

• Members

I did think that some of the writing for Rachel was degrading, although that goes back a long way. I guess we'll never know what plans the show for her...

I don't know if Brad Bell has any issue with blacks or if he's just lazy and incompetent and scared of anything but the same four or five faces.

• Members

Oh, I forgot about that Donna/Donna thing where Anna Stuart had to go to the producer to complain about Donna Swajeski's bad writing for Donna Love.

Swajeski, whose work on AW I generally liked, also did a hatchet job on poor Nicole Love.

Margaret DePriest - wanted Frankie Frame dead.

• Members

The obvious, and most prominent, example is Matthew Ashford's Jack Deveraux on Days of our Lives.

Reilly hated MA/Jack as a leading man. So did Tom Langan. Peter Brash and Paula Cwigly obviously didn't care for him, although when Ken Corday gave them the order to reverse course they (to some extent) agreed to back down. Dena Higley seems to have hated him the most of all.

• Members

I still wouldnt say he hated her. Karen was great in the role and I wouldnt say her material was necesarily awful. It wasnt till KT took over that things went downhill and Tina was a joke and banished to being a day player. AE is a hard act to follow and while KW may have been Tina-lite, she was still very adequate for the role.

Archived