All Soaps: Were There Writers/Producers Who Disliked/Hated A Character?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Dobson's and the Hughes family, especially Nancy Hughes.

Pam Long and the Bauers, with the exception of Bert.

Davey Kreizman/Ellen Wheeler and the Bauers.

And yes, JFP just did not know how to deal with Alex..but then neither did McTavish. Weirdly, E & B wrote well for her for the few scenes they did write when Marj returned...(Alex was back to being a savy powerful woman who protected her family, not the screaching harpy obsessed with her son or brother.) Unforuntatley, powerful older women were not Rauch's thing so she disappeared...until finally brought back by Taggert, only to have the final dirt thrown on her coffin by Weston and the Kreizman.

• Members

I enjoyed McTavish's Alex more than I should have, but it certainly was a very immature version of her. I got a lot of laughs at the time out of her sparring with Hawk. I don't know if that's preferable to the Mothra she was under JFP or the drug lord (!) of the Wheeler era.

Didn't Freddie Bartholomew have some issue with the older characters on ATWT?

• Members

I don't know if it was Bartholomew himself of PG. That was his second time around on ATWT, so he didnt hate the older characters the first time. I think he was just a very staid, nonimaginative producer, who was brought back after ATWT fell from No 1 all the way to No. 7. P and G freaked, and I don't think FB was strong enough to say, "The problem is not with our older characters, its with the way we tell our stories and our drab sets and lighting." Add to that the Dobson's didnt really get the Hughes family, and the obscuring of every Hughes except Bob (Tom didnt even really count, Deas version was a whole new character.)

However, when he did take over, ATWT was full of middle aged characters and it did need a bit of a "youthifying," However, the younger people the Dobsons brought in were less vital then the 40 somethings (compare Dee and Annie to Lisa and Kim) and I wont even go into their "teens," Lisa Loring as the boring Cricket and Eric Hollister. Hell their "stud muffin," was the dull and unsexy Brad Hollister.

• Members

No kidding. They don't even bother to remember they changed her name. Other characters have referred to her as Jill Abbott a number of times, but I understand why, although they made her a Fenmore if you weren't tuned in last year at this time you would never know it.

I wonder what happened. After they re-cast Tucker they pulled her out of her life completely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Take note when Gottlieb and Malone took on ONE LIFE TO LIVE the show and its characters became socially conscious. Gone were the days of out of body experiences, time travel and underground cities and hello to stories involving teen-age homosexuality, campus rape, and child abuse. You couldn't have the celebrated scheming Tina (whether she was played by La Evans or La Witter) because she was now given more mature fare to play out as were all the other characters. I actually like the current work by Ron Carlivati. I feel you get a balance between the two tones and that has helped bring characters full circle...but now it can be easily said the character of Dorian is being dissed by that regime.

Erik

• Members

Linda had a background in after school specials and telefilms so I really think she would have done wonders with any network mandates to focus on youth. Or not, as she seemed pretty anti-mandate on g.p. OLTL hasn't been nearly as smart, sophisticated, and elegant since she left.

Archived