GH: Discussion for the Month of August

• Members

"I loved Monica leaning on Sam as that was good stuff, but its sad that Sam is really all she has. She has no one else to turn to to help her through her grief."

Sam has her mother Alexis who hasn't to shown for this s/l.

I found this oldie but goodie clip of Monica yelling at Alan because she doesn't want "it" in her house.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HbCCIh1icjU

7f3m.jpg

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just try to remember that this isn't REAL Carly anyway, this is a bad version of the Worst of Times. Carly used to be a favourite of mine and even when she treated AJ like garbage, there was always a sense that Carly's logic while wrong was at least understandable.

This character - who just happens to be named Carly - is not the fabulous being once created who could make you laugh, scream and cry all at the same time. This is a banshee who needs to be put out of its misery.

• Members

I agree. I loved both TB and SB in the role. It's just a travesty to see what has happened to this character since LW has been in the role. I don't know if the problem is that she amplifies all the things wrong with the character and she is part of the problem or if she is brilliant for truly committing to the heinousness that is constantly produced by the show runners in the form of the Carly character. I really go back and forth on it because I honestly do think it takes some form of mastery to make her character so intensely hated and reviled.

• Members

She once bragged that she made Carly OTT on purpose because that's "who she was", or some such drivel. (Don't ask me for source, it's been a few years) So I'm thinking 75% of the problem is LW herself. Another 15% is that every woman in Sonny's orbit has to be dumbed down just to justify his existence, and the character of Carly has suffered more than most because of that. The remaining 10%….. writing.

At least she was getting a faceful back today. That's new and looooooooong overdue. I think Tracy is the last one to slap her down, and it's been well over a year.

• Members

Jennifer Bransford just didn't fit as Carly and she wasn't believable in any capacity to me. It was like she was an imposter pretending to be Carly and she had little chemistry with any of the characters in Carly's circle. The fact that she looked a lot like Reese just made things worse to me. JB bares the brunt of coming in after TB for me and so she was bound to be unpopular for that fact alone. While I abhor LW's version of Carly I more or less buy it because LW owns the character and all of her motivations even if they are the absolute worst characteristics of the character are ones found in the original version of Carly. I also admire her muscle so to speak as I have always found Carly to be a strong character so I think LW does that quite well if nothing else. I just wished she gave Carly a soul. JB's Carly was going insane during the time she came in so a lot of it was just weird and odd so most viewers probably don't see JB's Carly as a real incarnation of her.

I would rate the Carly's like this:

Sarah Brown - Real Carly

Tamara Braun - Romanticizied best version of Carly

Laura Wright - Bastardized worst version of Carly

Jennifer Bransford - Fake Carly

Archived