AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While Jonathan's regression was ridiculous, I didn't mind him and Lily at first (though I prefered her with Sam, which was awkwardly dumped--another case of AMC firing an extremely talented young actor who now has become quite a big Broadway star). It woulda worked fine for me as a short term story--but it was stretched on past any realm of believability, and the final nail in the coffin was the awful creation of Ava (who really, as far as the show canvas is concerned might as well have never existed at all--except I guess to facilitate an off screen, and barely mentioned exit for Jonathan).

Daytime Confidential never seems to like AMC in any state it's in, as far as I can tell--but that rumour report reeks of a crack addict--I think McTavish has many strengths, but writing for Greenlee, a character I for some reason love despite her, has NEVER EVER been one of them.

• Members

It is pretty sad - tracking when she goes nuts. I actually think that in some ways her last AMC stint was the one that sort of held together the longest. She went to hell after about less than six months at GL, and while I genuinely enjoyed some of her material in the first half of 1998, things got bad by fall 1998...Hayley's infertility woes and the Kit rape episode were what really began turning me off. Her material at AMC the last time started what, July 2003? I wasn't watching regularly but I thought aside from the Babe propping it sort of held together, again, sort of, until around early 2005.

Many expected big, bad, stupid stuff from Kriezman when he took over - perhaps if he'd done that the ratings might be up...

• Members

I completely agree. These writers are not very intricate but the show is neither offensive or full of characters whose personalities and actions I don't recognize under them. The show has been more balanced as well. The 18-49 demo is so bad that I don't think they have a choice here as much as I would have liked ABC to give them a full year.

There's a lot of water under the bridge with McTavish and everybody but I wish they could work together if McTavish does come back. That would take some effort from Megan McTavish and that's probably her main problem, she doesn't work well with others. The show also really needs a stronger EP with history with AMC but Brian Frons doesn't like hiring people who will fight with him creatively for the shows.

• Members

I think Kreizman was kept in check by Swajeski and Broderick--at least that's my totally unfounded guess. And you're right actually--her late 90s stint went off the rails VERY quickly. Her last stint didn't truly go to WTF territory until 2005 or so...

I know that JHC doesn't seem to have much control with Frons there, but I still wonder when they'll think to replace her--again being the common denominator over all these years... But with Frons at the helm, replacing EPs just doesn't seem to even be a thought, so...

What's FMB doing? Of course since it was between her and Frons for head of Daytime, I doubt she'd ever work under him--or he'd hire her. McTavisha nd Broderick as co HW (I know Broderick doesn't want the bigger position, but...) could be a marvel, if they balanced each other out. But yeah, it'd never happen.

• Members

Eric I always look forward to your posts because I don't feel guilty for liking some of her work. :lol: After what she did at GL I should hate her as a writer but I really loved Stuart/Marian and the story with Opal and Adrian, and the Kane women stuff in 2003 and 2004. It's just a shame about so much of the rest.

It wouldn't hurt to ask FMB to come back. Or Angela Shapiro. She can do Shop the Soaps - sell Rylee panties or whatever.

• Members

I don't think it's a done deal that she's returning. It sounds like he's courting her, but that she isn't necessarily jumping at the chance to return. What is clear is that D&D will be leaving at the end of their cycle, but who will replace them? If Frons can't get McTavish I wonder who else he'd look at.

• Members

Ha, thanks! (I think ;) ). I don't think I watched a single day of GL when she was writing, and it sounds like I'm lucky. I admit some of it for me may be loyalty--as everyone on here knows (ad nauseum) I became hooked on AMC, and soaps, in very late 91, which was just as McTavish was really becoming the driving force story wise. EVEN in her last year or so--where now in hindsight I can completely see why FMB had her pushed out as she was starting to lose control with the wacky (although I belkieve ratings were still quite strong--prob why she was hired back) but at the time I was still largely enjoying the show. So, while I know some AMC fans feel that the show really started to lose its feel in the early 90s--to me that still was very much Pine Valley.

• Members

Sad but true: "Tracking when she goes nuts"

I agree about her last run being her longest sane run. She started some garbage with Babe during the babyswitch but you didn't really feel she had hit that wall of crazy and was going down fast and furious until 2005.

• Members

Christ, does Brian Frons want this show canceled?! Can we at least get some fluffy camp co-Head to balance all the dark, misogynistic crap she writes?

Oh, and if she gets on board: get ready for the AMC/GH BabySwitch.

Jason/Sam cross over to Pine Valley to get a lead on Jerry Jacks's whereabouts when she goes into labor at the same time as Annie(pregnant with JR's baby). They detour to Pine Valley Hospital where a sly Jerry Jacks swaps the babies at birth. Six months later, Jason and Sam's baby dies.

But Jason, in his all knowing, infinite wisdom, doesn't believe that the baby they buried is his. This leads to a year-long crossover stunt for both shows that involves Spinelli investigating everything that happened. He runs into Cara, who he begs to come back with him to Port Charles(Cheap21 will refer to Cara as "Pine Valley Brenda"). She briefly crosses over to become Spinelli date and attends a party at the MetroCourt with him. Maxie becomes jealous, Carly's snarls can be heard all the way to Pine Valley, and of course, Sonny becomes enamored with this successful woman(this is after Vanessa leaves). Cara notices Jerry Jacks at this party and remembers him as the guy who was hanging around the nursery at the hospital that evening. One thing leads to the next and the truth is revealed and Jerry Jacks is presumed dead(AGAIN). A custody case ensues with Pine Valley(Liza, Caleb, Jack) and Port Charles'(Alexis/Claire/Diane) biggest legal eagles.

When Annie/JR lose, a tearful, three hour AMC/GH mashup(pre-empting OLTL) happens where a tearful Annie refuses to believe that the baby she has raised for over a year could be theirs. In the GH part of the episode, Annie gives the baby back in a tearful release.

Ratings go up, McTavish stays to write more rapes, and Guza(who always gets his way) is so enamored with Cara/Lindsay Hartley that he demands to keep her on GH as Sonny's new love interest.

Archived