AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

IMO I don't think she could be any worse than what we've gotten in the past since she last left. I'd honestly take her 2003-2005 tenure at AMC back over what we have now. I am quite fond of D&D's AMC right now but the biggest thing I can't stand about them is their focus on new characters. (I legit just read that they have no plans to bring back fan-faves, but they do plan on extending the castillo family and making Caleb the shows new Patriarch. That just sounds like a disaster to me). I agree that McTavish could be fine if she had someone writing with her, but I do think sometimes she can be really good by herself. She writes pretty well for couples to. Also if AMC is looking to change writers, they also need to look into replacing Julie Carruthers. to.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She did bring up AMC's ratings, at first, in 2003, so hopefully she might provide a short-term boost and even when she tanks again, that might be enough to keep AMC going a little.

She frustrates me because I think she has done some brilliant writing on AMC, but she has no impulse control and she has a tendency for really really nasty stuff. But I always feel like the potential is there.

• Members

Yep, she'd probably have a great first 6 months to a year.... she always does (except maybe her 2nd stint in the late 90's.... that was pretty damn bad from the get go). I think she can be very, very strong but ALWAYS ends up tanking to the extreme. There is no in between with her. David & Donna aren't terrible, I just find the show very boring and disjointed. They haven't done a very good job at integrating the cast. McTavish at least is good at doing that.....

• Members

I just think that if the show doesn't get the numbers up immediately or close to it that this might be the end. So if she can get them up and they are in a stable enough position to where they can replace her if she loses it again, then I think she might be worth bringing back again.

Of course it's also fair if someone feels they'd rather see AMC canceled than have her back as headwriter. I can understand that too. I just keep hoping she will get back to what she was better at.

• Members

Very true, usually the cast is integrated within that first 6 months with one of her big umbrella stories, which some of have been very good (e.g babyswitch, Cambias murder mystery), but she usually then begins to rely on 5-6 characters and yes everyone else plays 2nd fiddle. If she does come back, I think we can guarantee Ryan and Kendall will have another go. She doesn't have that Zendall fanbase standing in her way now.

At this point there is no "fix" for any soaps still left. Its a race to see who's the last one standing.

Archived