AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're probably desperate to get the 18-49 up. She had AMC in 4th place (including ties) or above in that demographic for the majority of her nearly 4 year stay and this is with 9 soaps in the picture for her entire run. That is better than they were doing right before her and better than they have done after her. Between March 2004 and the end of July 2005 the show only placed lower than 4th twice. Between January 2006 and the the beginning of August 2006 she did the same thing. From February 2007 until her last episode was credited in May they remained 4th place and above.

They really dropped off in that demo starting in Fall 2007.

• Members

^ Yeah, but that's assuming that the viewers she drove away would come back. I don't trust her as far as I can throw her, and I don't think many people do either when it comes down to it.

If she had a co-HW to reign her in/keep her in line...it might be something worth doing. But if she has free reign again, we'll probably end up with Joe in a freezer this time.

• Members

She hasn't been the only writer to drive away viewers. Good, bad or horrible she was maintaining their healthiest rating placement in the 18-49 demographic of any of the writers who have come since. I blocked out much of her last 2.5 years our of sheer horror but she had decent demographics for most of that time. I had forgotten about Jonathan and Lily and Terry & uncle Porkchop being made into Porkchops, lol.

I don't know if she would be able to do it again. Nobody may be able to do anything for the ratings after the amount of viewers who have been driven away from loyal viewing in the past decade with bad executive decisions after bad executive decisions. Does that mean the soaps should just settle down and die without a fight?

In AMC's case they probably need to try because they're all alone in last place in the most important demographic.

• Members

UGH. I often seem like one fo the biggest defenders of McTavish on here--I think she's done some downright brilliant stuff on AMC, but she ALWAYS burns out--and it seems often quicker and quicker, and after the last few years of her last era, I really don't see anything good coming up from her--particularly as she's a known Yes man (woman?) to Frons (one reason he prob likes her). She prob COULD, that said, raise AMC's ratings temporarily at first. Would Broderick even stick around as part of the writing team with her there (me thinks not...)

I think D&D are far from perfect, but I think they've done a decent job--they've integrated new characters on to the show far better than many past writers have, and IMHO are keeping it creatively stable--unfortunately stable isn't good enough right now. But I do feel it's unfair to not even give them a full year...

Archived