AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

The same reason Markko & Kish (and to a lesser extent Greg) were recently phased out of OLTL.

It totally did.

It's one thing to have Minority characters it's another to treat them the way McTavish did The Fryes.

It was bad enough all Reggie/Dani did was babysit Lily & prop Jamie/Maggie while Derek was a corrupt token & Tom/Livia were pretty much invisible but then the offensive Mimi/Garrett & Josh non stories too?

HATE.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Things like what they did with Reggie and Danielle always make me wonder just how much power the higher higher-ups have. If we're to believe the HW is chiefly in charge, then why would McTavish bring back Livia and Danielle, write some good family drama for the Fryes and Reggie throughout most of 2004, integrate Reggie so well with the Kane/Montgomery clan, then suddenly drop them all into the background? She was a huge part of the writing team when all of the Fryes were originally conceived in the early 90s, she didn't inherit any of them upon her return in '03, and it's not like Frons mandated the Fryes' return to the forefront. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Further, as much as I like to beat up on Ronald for the shitty stories he's personally defended over at OLTL, I can't imagine an openly gay man choosing to place all of the blame for falling ratings on gay characters he obviously put his heart and soul into.

• Members

I don't think anyone blames Ron for the Kish PR disaster. That reeked of Frons or someone else - it was so heinous it seemed like too much even for Frons. The stuff I associate most with Ron's taste as a writer is the repulsive view of Todd and of the idea of rapists being victims and noble heroes.

I think McTavish did a good job of establishing Reggie into the Kane/Montgomery family (generally I thought the writing for Reggie was awful before that) and then it seemed to falter. I can't say that wasn't her, because I do blame her for the very ugly stories for black characters on GL when she was headwriter, but I don't remember any of that type of writing for blacks during her first or second run at AMC. The most I remember reading about was Dondre Whitfield speaking out to the show about his annoyance that Derek and Mimi got married at the Chicken Shack, and then being fired.

• Members

The show fell apart when the baby switch ended. I think by mid/late 2005, when it was clear that nothing was working, whatever control over story direction she had as a result of the baby switch saga totally eroded, and that Frons or some network hack was calling the shots at this point. Just my hunch. Also, ABC is a slave to focus groups and the networt doesn't make a move without consulting them. JFP has said as much. Maybe the focus groups didn't like Reggie, so Megan had no choice but to write him out. Focus groups are what decided Marcy Walker's fate. Frons needed to get rid of a vet, and of all the vets, supposedly she was least liked by the focus groups. For some reason the focus groups love Michael E. Knight, which is probably why Tad's still on the canvas despite having no real story for a couple of years now. Not really trying to defend McT...just trying to make a point that story decisions, which characters are front burner, which characters are written off, etc. are usually out of the hands of the HWs. It's always been like that to an extent, but even more so the past 10 or 15 years.

• Members

Maybe I read it wrong. :lol: I thought after he was let go he said he complained to the writers or producers about this and then ended up being written out. I think he also said he was annoyed because the show had spent money on Edmund and Maria's wedding but not a lot on Derek/Mimi.

• Members

No they weren't married in the Chicken Shack. They were married in Derek's loft (which is where Tad and Dixie had lived before he fell off the bridge). I remember Palmer and Opal ridiculously showing up to cater the event with Chicken Shack goodies. I think Palmer showed up at that door in a chef's hat! It was kind of embarrassing, more so for Palmer that for the Fryes. McT had turned Palmer into nothing but comic relief at that point. Derek and Mimi weren't an A-story couple, so they weren't going to get the Midas treatment that Edmund and Maria got, but still that ceremony was a bit embarrassing for all around, if I remember it correctly.

• Members

If Ricky is still around, and no one turns him into a bad guy, I could see her doing a really good slowburn romance with Kendall/Ricky (with or without including a triangle with Griffin). I think there is potential there for that type of storyline between him and Kendall and I think it would be something interesting. Plus he's a different type of man from what we're used to seeing/Kendall's used to being with.

I guess she could also do a slowburn with Griffin/Kendall (with or without including Ricky in a tri), but IMO, there doesn't really seem to be chemistry with Kendall/Griffin. And I'm not sure if they are really going to be able to hold up as a possible couple, if they can't really generate chemistry.

Regarding how she might write some of the other characters, I think that she might write for the Hubbards. I don't know what she might write for them though. I could see her possibly have Angie deal with something ugly that happened in her past. Or that she might have a long term character like Jack murder the next short term villian in a horrible way.

I could her see writing much more for Bianca than K&S are doing. And I wonder what she would do with Krystal since K&S don't really seem interested in writing for Krystal. It seems like Krystal getting even less airtime than even Frankie,Natalia, Brot and Randi are, and they don't get much airtime. And she doesn't really have a storyline going on. It's looks the ideas of her possibly having blooming romances with Jack/Caleb were either dropped or put on hold.

I could see McTavish giving Krystal a storyline again.

Archived