AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

You'll get no argument from me on that!

Precisely. My opinion of this writer is not just based on her AMC work, but also her OLTL and GH work. So, just so everyone knows, that's why I :rolleyes: when passes are being handed out because of her couple good months of the Michael Cambias story and another several good months of the GBS. I still have what she did to OLTL's Nora on the brain. I still have what she did to GH's Alexis fresh in my mind. I still see all of her trademarks and cliches running rampant through all three of the ABC soaps. For the record, I never even thought the beginning of her 2003-2007 stint was good, because she kicked it off with her favorite standby: Rape. I knew right then it was going to be more of the same.

Yeah, um... "people online" hate actors in roles before they've even aired, so...

I was thinking just that the other day while catching up on GH. Watching Michael, Kristina, Molly and Morgan, I was thinking to myself, "Gee.. with all of its faults, GH always seems to have its next generation lined up." 10 years ago, it was Liz, Lucky, Nik, Emily. 5 years ago it was Lulu, Maxie, Georgie, Dillon. Today they have the kids I mentioned above.... and on All My Children, they have... Colby? :unsure:

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's not giving her a pass, it's saying that some parts of her various tenures were enjoyable (matter of opinion, of course). Giving her pass would be to ignore the shiteous story decisions credited to her name and act like they never happened because you liked five months here or a year there, which I don't think any sane person can do.

• Members

I definitely don't forget her bad moments, as she ruined two of my favorite GL characters (Bridget and Gilly) and had a third bludgeoned to death. I thought her GH tenure was mixed (some was terrible, some was better than what's come since), her OLTL run was poor, her AMC run was way up and down. If Frons can actually get his head out of the clouds and find a talented, solid, and risk-taking writer who knows what AMC is about, then I would take them over McTavish. I doubt McTavish is coming back anyway. I don't defend her writing as much as I say I really enjoyed some of it. I still hated a lot of the rest of her work.

Ultimately GH squandered or killed off most of these characters, but I agree that AMC needs and has needed stronger young characters. AMC has had problems in this area for what seems like 15-20 years.

• Members

Yep it was McT who killed Dixie with poisoned pancakes, but I think the order for that came from Frons, not to say that McT didn't have a grudge against Cady for speaking her mind about her storylines.

If it wasn't Frons, then I think Dixie would have been brought back to life by now.

Vee great posts!

• Members

The youth scene is a mess. I'm not sure how favourably or not I'd compare it to OLTL's--what you say is true there, but I really don't see a future as adult characters with the Fords, and even Langston now (of course with the current state of soaps I'm not sure anyone is worrying that far into the future). I actually thought AMC was finally improving with a decent Colby, Damon who despite some story mess seemed to finally be coming into his own, etc--but now he's off canvas...

That said, I'm not really sure Lucci can be seen as underutilized--she's missed very few episodes lately and certainly seems to be on as much as any other vet her age I can think of on other soaps...

• Members

Agreed with all of this actually. It's a shock that Tim still isn't on the canvas... All you say about the Cortlands and Chandler's makes sense. I dunno though, I do wonder if that's the writers or again Frons (yes, he is ridiculously easy to blame I admit)--I got the impression that with Brodrick there they'd be happy to bring some of those characters back but iot's not something Frons sees as worth the trouble.

And I almost hate to admit, I agree with you on Hartley (someone I was NOT looking forward to seeing on the show...)

(OK I admit I'm kinda over Dixie--unless something drastically changes. I blame how she' sbeen written, but also the actress and her notorious requests for how she wanted to see her character, which exactly wasn't how audiences seemed to want to...

• Members

Well yeah but with Yaya people seemed welcome to her when she came on, and more and more annoyed as she was played out (of course she was given no favours with Pratt's story for her where she just seemed to constantly whine or go "oh no what have we done what have we done")

AGain it's way too easy to blame Frons I guess, and I don't mean to in this case give ANY credit to McTavish (any positive credit) but it did seem at the time, and for what little it's worth the gossip said as well, that the "shock death" of Dixie was mandated over the show.

Archived