AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

Oh, that's exactly why Bianca was raped and had Miranda - to neuter her. It's another reason she had Zach's kid too, incubating Gabrielle while Zach and Reese got it on. Keeping her as the earth mother partitions her off from sexuality.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only thing I could have enjoyed with Maria was if they'd built up her feud with Erica. I know Eva La Rue is about 20 years younger than Susan Lucci but she was still closer to her than Budig, or MCE, and their feud had more bite.

Right.

It's offensive, but the rape story was the one which created several years of story for Bianca. Since then, none of Bianca's stories have ever actually been about her. They were always about other people, and slowly but surely, she just stopped having any story at all.

• Members

I feel the same way about this subject as you do. Eva's return from the get go was a complete and utter disgrace. The whole Maureen/Aidan thing was borderline offensive and it totally sucked the life out of any reunion of Edmund and Maria. Edmund and Maria from 1993-1997 were THE couple for me on AMC. Partly due to the great talent of Eva LaRue, and her amazing chemistry with John. I personally felt Edmund was much weaker as a character by himself, especially following Dimitri's departure. One thing I always wish they had tried was put Edmund and Erica together. Not only would it fuel the long rivalry Erica and Maria had, I also think John and Susan shared a chemistry she never did with Nader. I always enjoyed Edmund and Erica's scenes. I am not sure how long they could have worked, but I think that could have been a plausible option post Maria/Edmund. I wasn't totally put off by the death, but it was cheapened by the fact that A) it was basically a plot point for that god awful Lavery saga of 2005, and B) to further discredit Zach and show him as the anti-Ryan and the "bad guy" even though he wasn't even responsible. That being said I was hopeful at the time it would lead to Maria and Zach because Eva and Thorsten had 10x the chemistry Thorsten and Alicia had... it became quite clear though Eva would be exiting later that year and she did. I think Maria and Edmund could have divorced on screen and been tied to the canvas for many years through Sam and Maddie. Edmund's death in a way is where I think the train really began to leave the rails for McT's disasterous and forever damaging 3rd go at this show. Its awful she lasted 2 more years. Even more awful Frons is potentially willing to give her a 4th chance to execute this show.

• Members

I thought Maria should have stayed under the airplane rubble David supposedly pulled her out from under. Her return added absolutely nothing to show besides reuniting the cheesiest, corniest, and lamest couple I've ever seen and giving half the town reason to beat the crap out of Brooke every time they saw her. As a character, she was boring and sanctimonious, and if I had my way, ol' Jonny would have bashed her in the head too. But that's just me.

I never thought of Bianca's rape as the enormous display of homophobia that others thought it was. Of course, over time, it's not hard to see how that story and its aftermath was engineered, but I think McT's objective was more about pulling the Kane women in around the creepy "legacy of rape" thing and less about neutering Binks. Pulling the Kane women together was a great idea, but pulling them in around rape of all things was seriously misguided. It turned out some amazing performances and the story itself felt pretty whole and complete, but she could have saved herself boatloads of criticism by picking any other tragedy...absolutely anything else.

The "legacy of rape" made them extremely vulnerable and enabled Ryan to swoop in and be their savior all the time ("I'm the closest thing to family they've got!" will NEVER leave my memory because it BOILED MY BLOOD). This was no doubt "The Rise of Ryan." Pre-baby switch, he was riding high with the Kanes, he was Kendall's man, Bianca's protector, and Erica loved and trusted him like the son she never had. Once Greenlee was added into the equation, that was it. Pine Valley lived and breathed by what Ryan left in the toilet after Mexican dinner.

• Members

Agreed. In story sense it made sense--initally. Rayfield and Cascio apparently wanted Kendall to be raped--and McTavish "brilliantly" changed it to Bianca. Which is a bit surprising as Kendall still wasn't firmly liked by Erica and crew at that point, and raping Kendall coulda been the classic McTavish "troubled woman is redeemed by rape" story. But I think it's obvious, no matter what you think of the reason, that having it be Bianca made for much more story.

• Members

You really think that was more story for Kendall?

Kendall's story would've been much more than worrying about Bianca and gaining Bianca's approval. She would've had to deal with the idea that she allowed this man into her life (who used a false name to get close to her) only to have him violate her. Then she'd have to deal with the stark reality of knowing what Erica had gone through with Richard Fields. And then, she would have to be placed in the same position as Erica, becoming impregnated by her rapist, and the choice she would make. Would she abort? Would she go through with the pregnancy? Would she give the baby up? Would she keep the baby? She and Erica could've had some very deep, poignant moments throughout this storyline. Their reconciliation and subsequent bonding would've had more layers to it because it was about them having something between them only the two of them could understand. That's where the so-called "Legacy of Rape" exists. Also, with Kendall and Michael Cambias having been lovers, it would've made more sense for him to attack her.

Michael Cambias going to Bianca, knowing full well she's a lesbian, just to talk to her about his troubles because she's a nice lady and then out of the blue raping her made absolutely no sense. While I don't think it was a conscious decision to neutralize the homosexual woman, I definitely believe it was a subconscious one. Immediately, Lena was shut out. Everyone else around Bianca was let in, but Lena -- Bianca's girlfriend -- was shut out. The only one. If anything, this could've been used as a vehicle to tell a Lianca story.

• Members

YES! I always thought if McT was destined to use rape again as her way in with this show, it should have been Kendall. Would have been much more powerful and poignant and as you say would never have consciously, or subconsciously neutralized the homosexual woman.

• Members

I think it was more story for Kendall, yes, because it heavily affected her relationships with both Bianca and Erica. Kendall felt so guilty about what Bianca had gone through, and what she herself had been a product of, and this also made her see again what Erica had gone through. Kendall's rape would have had some story, but would have trod over familiar territory (rape via redemption). Bianca's rape story was far-fetched and offensive, but I think that Bianca, who was an innocent and whom Kendall had for years resented, brought out Kendall's protectiveness and this helped lead to helping to cover up the murder, covering up Bianca's pregnancy, and dealing with Erica in a new way. I think it gave Kendall more of a perspective and place in the Kane family, instead of still being the outsider.

I'm not really saying this very well. I guess at the time I felt like Kendall was being positioned in a way which finally let her move on as a character, and I was glad they had moved away from stories about bad girls who pay a price.

I hated to see Bianca get raped, but Bianca was probably going to be neutralized no matter what. The only time same-sex relationships have been shown with women, aside from a brief romance between Lena and Bianca, was when it was about a man (Zach).

Archived