AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

Yeah Maxwell was simply miscast as the moody artist I think--I agree him and Brooke had good chemistry.

Ugh Tanner Jordan. Even back then as a teen when I was admittedly a far less discerning (maybe just less cranky) soap viewer I knew that his storyline was disaster. Even if brought us back the return of Tom for a couple of episodes and Broadway fave Terrence Mann as his accomplice :P

(ABC seemed to think hiring Aussie hunks at the time--particularly if they were from Heartbreak High--was a good thing... Him, Corey Page on The City, Ingo was near his peak on GH it seemed... Not sure about OLTL but...)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL had a British guy around this time, Ian, Maggie's long lost twin brother, son of the hunky Michael Swan, killed off when they were about to find out he was father to both Ian and Maggie. Stupid decision to kill him off but what do you expect. Ian got a lot of money from his stuck up father's murder (Todd murdered him, accidentally, by blowing up his yacht - the show then dropped all of this because Todd Is Our Hero). His father was played by the guy who was the lead in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Ian was wooed by money-seeking Blair and then dated Kelly until he was very very abruptly killed off by JFP in early 1998.

I did like the scenes with Hayley and Tom, and Hayley's confession to Mateo on her wedding day (Kelly Ripa's best work as Hayley) but I loathed the rest, especially those awful flashbacks, and the way he treated Skye. I did love the scene where Skye tried to put a pillow over his face and he still had a breathing mask on. There were some nice Skye/Stuart and Adam/Hayley scenes, as I think Adam immediately believed Hayley hadn't slept with Tanner.

I wish some other soap had hired Corey Page after The City went off.

• Members

Right I remembered Ian--Armitage right? Couldn't remember what hios nationality was--I remember some of that being kinda potentially interesting and then the payoff being really bad (were they introduced by the Labines?) but so much of my time with OLTL in the lkate 90s is a blur lol.

I liked COrey on The City--it looks like he's donedecently since then--I guess he was on Home and Away recently. (I even liekd him with Zoey a character that I remember dividing fans--she at least came off SLIGHTLY more like a street/wild child than Laura on AMC around the same time...

• Members

Nothing says New York Street Urchin like coloured hair! (I do remember some soap press--was this something you posted?-0-that implied her story was gritty and ripped from the headlines the way the movie Kids was LOL. And honestly I'm glad it wasn't--I don't think I'd wanna watch that on a daytime soap...)

• Members

I could never take Pierce seriously - a "mountain man" in the "wilds" of Pine Valley who fell for...Brooke and Janet. No.

I may be wrong but I think Will Kempe (Ian Armitage) was not actually British. Several years before, he played a significant role in Whit Stillman's Metropolitan as a NY prep kid. No accent.

• Members

I barely paid attention to any of that, or to much of the show at the time. The show was slowly winding down from its mid-90s high and in the Labine era I mostly enjoyed the side stories with Mel, the seashell tea, Carlotta, Hank, etc. By the time I really came back for semi-regular viewing they were quickly killing Ian off. I also loved Max and Maggie and was upset that they got rid of her in '97. I did love the Canton story, the Labines' last, I think.

So he was British. Good to know.

• Members

What was the seashell tea?

At the time OLTL got criticism for what they did with Bo and Nora (or didn't do with them) but looking back I enjoy most of their scenes. They have a good balance.

I liked Maggie too but they never seemed to know what to do with her. I think that's why Crystal left.

I liked Pierce with Janet, the idea of two damaged people healing each other. It was when they decided to "reform" Pierce that I had enough. Generally on AMC, if not all soaps, reformed = self-righteous ass.

• Members

Caleb is the mountain man, Pierce was just a cabin boy ;) No, it is rather silly even by soap standards, although I admit at the time it didn;t phase me and I liked the community he had going on with Janet and Laura.

Ah that would explain Ian's accent--British and Bermuda I guess--I do remember him on AMC. I think, anyway lol... I don't remember the Canton story, but I do remember him being killed off quickly it seemed. I liked Max and Maggie too (OK maybe not the Labines' circus school for her, but...)

• Members

Didn't he die in the same plane crash as Mel, or somewhere around then? He had kind of chin-length wavy hair. Here we had my Dorian in a frontburner s/l about her roots but what can I say, I was losing interest. The show didn't feel the same, college was inching closer and closer, blah blah blah...

• Members

IIRC, the seashell tea thing was this whole interlude where Viki, Dorian, Renee and maybe Nora(?) all got high together on this rare lost tea made from some sort of seashell juice or something, and compared lovers and so on. Maybe Mel's mom was involved, I honestly can't remember, but it was a great several episodes. Half of the Labines' tenure was just people chilling out around Llanview, and that was really the part I preferred. I also loved Carlotta's bodice-ripper fantasies of Clint and Hank.

Ian and Mel died a year apart. Ian died flying to Canton to help Kelly and the Cramers, and she promptly moved right on to Joey or Drew, maybe both at once. The storyline surrounding Mel's death in 1999 just killed me. I loved him and Dorian.

• Members

I def remember Carlotta's fantasies (particularly as they started literally on the day--or week anyway--that the Labines writing started). The first bit of the Labines era was a breath of fresh air--more just for the interaction ((and the show had been so dismal immediately before them) but I remember getting frustrated with it...

Archived