AMC: Frons Courting McTavish?

• Members

I think this was inevitable. When she left last time, Frons said that she was burnt out and needed a break, with the implication that she'd be back one day when her batteries have been recharged. If this rumor turns out to be true, it wouldn't be a total shock. I'm kind of digging D&D's writing. Some of the storytelling is questionable, but I enjoy the scriptwriting. It just seems like good, class character-driven soap, which is probably part of the problem. It needs something big to lure back lapsed viewers. Megan is the queen of doing big and over the top. Her problem, as we all know, is not knowing when to stop. If someone could rein her in (calling Lorraine!), a la FMB and Agnes in the early 90s, then this could work. By the way, yes, the HHs and demos are abysmal, but they're in a statistical tie with OLTL in the demos and all three get essentially the same HH numbers. We all know actual ranking doesn't matter, so I don't think it's any worse off than OLTL or GH. All three shows are in the toilet ratingswise.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could see her doing stuff like giving Angie a big dark secret from her past, that would result in Angie shooting someone. And or turn someone like Jack into a murderer.

It was. I remember when the show during her last stint got much too dark for me. It was on or around July 4, 2006, when an earthquake pushed up Madden's body, after he was tortured. That was grotesque and the show got way too dark then. I think that the serial killer stuff with Jon with before that time was dark as well. Like having him torture/kill people and killing off Edmund. As was the "IAMThatMonster" storyline with Ryan, and putting Trevor in a freezer.

I agree. K&S aren't the most exciting writers, but at least most of the characters are recognizable under them. And I don't see them doing horrible stuff like having a main character bury someone alive beside a park bench.

The show under K&S right now is watchable enough for me. While their writing style definitely seems more simplistic, they don't really bore me like B&E did. B&E were really boring and they focused on the same few people over and over again. K&S use more of the cast than B&E did and I think that overall they are doing a decent job with the new characters on the show. I am interested in seeing what K&S might be able to do, if they are given more time.

• Members

Very true, and as I said, I mostly loved her first six months at GL, bringing Reva back (even as an Amish chick) and Nola (even as Iva Snyder) and Amanda Spaulding (even as Mae West) I thought Brent/Marion was outrageously creative, and I loved how she inverted and made fun of soap cliches'... having Brent switch dumb ass Lucy's HIV test (instead of the boring baby test) the great scene where she had unmasked Brent ("The part of Marion Crane will now be played by....BRENT LAWRENCE!!!") What had become a boring show she qucikly kicked into gear. The problem is that she was so bad at the realy simple things, like who is related to who, how the relate to each other (example Michelle calling her aunt, Nola, "Mrs. Chamberlin," and her mom's best friend Van, "Mrs. Reardon,") and she liked to regress people to their basic nature's Roger being all evil, etc. She also has a weird thing about incest (Chele chasing after her own cousin, even if by adoption, did it years before Jammy, Alex practically wanting to crawl into Alan's bed..) and yes, six months in, it all fell apart with Dinah the heroine and Lonatrat (not to mention the Bauer's family "angel," coming to town and going after Chelle)

Hopefully she knows AMC better then she did GL, well, come to think of it, she was both an actress and writer on GL so she should have known that show too.

From what I have seen Kreizman is being held in check at AMC, as you dont see the sloppiness and cheapness he displayed at GL. However, I do think that at GL Kreizman had a great six months also, ( intro of Jonathon, Phillip's decent into madness and "death,") but it all went to hell soon so buckle your seat belts for that.

One thing about McT, she is one of those writers who has her own style and you KNOW she is the one writing. And whomever said Shaffer, bite your tounge.

• Members

If Megan takes over the Kanes will be frontbruner and something nasty will happen to Binks.

Madison will go bonkers and Greens will get her baby.

Not sure what will happen with kendall romance wise?

Babe will be alive and in David's basement.

David ,Hubbards ,Brot ,Madison , maybe marissa will be in danger on being wrtten out. Not sure about Caleb , Liza,Griff and Cara?

• Members

Is there a reason to think McTavish would write out the Hubbards? She's written for black characters at most of her soaps - it was after her departure in 1999 that AMC started phasing out black characters again. Unless she has some personal dislike for the Hubbard family.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. The show was at its most diverse ever during her first head writing stint in the early 90's. Yes, I know Agnes probably had alot to do with the direction of the show at that time, but Megan was the one churning out the long-term outlines. I definitely think Madison would be very vulnerable under McTavish.

• Members

She also wrote in Adrian and his parents, which could have been a great story...although I know that some fans were annoyed when Opal and Adrian took away Cortlandt Electronics (whatever happened with that anyway - I wouldn't have minded seeing Opal going wild with a Fortune 500 Company).

• Members

I don't think McTavish would write out the Hubbards. I think one can expect that Megan will adore having to write for Angie and Natalia specifically(contrary to the current HWs). It's the stories for those two women that will be the issue. If McTavish's GL tenure is any example of how Megan writes for black women.....:shudder: or how McTavish wrote for both Mimi and Danielle last time around... :wacko:

• Members

I never understood why Reggie was phased out the way he was. I don't think race had anything to do with it (on McT's part anyway because she's proven she does like to make her Pine Valley diverse). However, Hubbards aside, the trend on the ABC soaps since Frons came in has been to make them as white as possible.

Archived