• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thurs Oct 26 1995

Y&R primetime episode 9pm

#56 9.1/14. This episode was  up against the world Series on ABC #1 and a special line up of comedies on NBC (Frasier/John Laroquette)#15 and #22

Does anyone know what happened on that episode and why CBS aired a primetime special?

It must have been in the planning for sometime as it had to fit in with the daytime schedule. As I recall, the nightime eps had a more primetime filming and pacing feel? Am I correct?

• Members

Victor/Chris/Paul track down Amy - Matt also finds out where she is

Dru confronts Nathan about his affair while Malcolm gets romantic with Keesha

Brad and Jack hit the gym and argue about Nikki

I'll check the SOD's I have from 1995 and other sources to see if I can find out the reason CBS/Sony decided to do Primetime ep. Not sure why they did this one

ETA: So far all I can find is that CBS were happy with the response from 1994 primetime ep and decided to do it again, it also sounds like they were trying to bring in an audience that had little interest in the World Series. 48 Hours aired after Y&R and did a show on romance novels. So it does sound like CBS were setting a theme and targeting a certain demo for the night. 

Edited by will81

• Members

Did anyone like Nikki/Brad as a couple? To me it felt like Nikki was afraid of being alone as she was getting older and didn't have much going on in her life at that time (no career, kids were married and on their own), so she settled for Brad.

I also think the fear of getting older without having accomplished much in her life lead to Nikki's jealousy over Christine during the time Victor and Christine's friendship was growing. Christine was everything Nikki wasn't: young, intelligent, educated, had a successful career, kind-hearted. There was so much that could've been explored in that brief Nikki/Christine rivalry.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Nikki and Brad were okay the initial affair like their later 1999 affair worked but they also didn’t strike me as long term couple to begin with. If anything it at least finally got Nikki out of the ranch all the time and added some new tensions to the dynamics of Newman like paving the way to let Neil become Victor’s right hand man instead of Brad when Brad was passed over for a promotion. 

Oddly they didn’t address Nikki’s age during her relationship to Brad but they did when she married Joshua. 

• Members

It makes sense why she was recast because she mopped the floor with Phyllis.

Alex Donnelly had a strong and confident presence even when doing desperate things (i.e. ditching Andy for Doug, ditching Jack for Victor, and spermgate).  She didn't have that jittery nervous thing that Stafford had.

Susan Walters was a decent replacement as Diane..but she could play up the pathetic vibe better..but also had the sarcastic confident vibe.

Maura West...well..miscast and over rated as an actress.

• Members

Siiiigh. Such a good scene. AD was such a singular presence. She would have been more interesting as a Phyllis rival than SW, but of course they’d have had to write it differently. Alex would have instantly deflated a lot of Michelle’s antics. 

The shot of Phyllis through the handle of Diane’s purse was such a nice touch.

• Members

While AD was always my favorite Diane because she just had THAT chemistry with MTS's Nikki, as the years have grown, I've come to like SW's take as well. 

OMG yes! I was playing catchup on B&B, and there was a camera angle in one of the episodes that made me think of old school Y&R. And watching the clip, that shot was a thing of beauty.