Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I often go back to Jill Farren Phelps recent interview and wonder if her words about Sony pushing her to update the show (in other words trash it up) were the same ones given to Alden when she took over. This would also explain why Jack Smith came back and took over the show so easily and why the show became so trashy/scandal driven during his time. It would also explain Kay's push for slightly more Jerry Springer style stories. That really seemed to be the edict of most producers back then. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree, Eileen's Ashley was much more of a fighter and very Kristen DiMera when she returned. I loved her scenes with Jack, but they were intense. I agree that as Eileen settled in the writing for her fell apart. 

I always see the 1987 ranch scenes as the first end of Ashley and Victor. The official end. But just like in life one doesn't always get that it's over. Ashley and Victor marrying in 1990 was perfect as both had moved on but were thwarted in their attempts at love - with Nikki marrying Jack (and choosing to stay married) and Traci coming back for Brad. Vic/Ash were never going to work as they had both moved on by that point. But it was comfortable and familiar and filled a void left by the heartbreak of their current situation. That is why it was so impetuous and sudden. 

Yes totally agree, Ashley knew in 1987 that Victor was never going to shake Nikki (partly why she chose to move on with Steven) and she realised again in 1992 those two would be forever tied and again chose to move on. 

The divorce was the definitive end for them and should have been the end forever. That was their prologue. Having Ashley get pregnant by accident to Victor would have led to interesting complications for Nikki/Brad/Ashley/Victor and since all four were tied with history it would could have worked without throwing Diane, Nikki and Ashley under the bus for the trashier sperm caper story.

• Members

I believe Sussman said flat out when she returned a few years ago that most males they hired were incapable of standing up to or keeping up with Eileen and had been for decades. She was absolutely right. She said she aimed to change that, but I don't think Graham or whoever was the answer. I don't know what it is.

Edited by Vee

• Members

When and how did the original Jack and Nikki affair happen? I didn't realize it had gotten so far that they were living together. She found out that Ashley and Victor were having an affair and then started sleeping with Jack? 

Also I am surprised at how much I like the chemistry between Terry Lester and MTS in these 1986 episodes

• Members

Ah thank you! You’re amazing!

They didn’t even seem to try with him. From what I’ve read it sounds like he was written out fairly quickly. The one guy that seemed to match her energy and that she had chemistry with was Roscoe Born and his character was irredeemable.

• Members

I thought Sussman's plan for Ashley was smart, but her style of writing needed more time that she got. She mentioned that the Ravi storyline was supposed to lead Ashley to her next love interest. People were up in arms about Ravi's crush on Ashley, but I thought they had good chemistry and he did a good job of loosening her up so she could have a love interest in the future. She just had become so cold and serious in those later years. I loved when she crossed over to B&B. They seemed to get her character and at least while Bill Bell was still interested, her crossover worked really well.

• Members

Sally Sussman seemed to be making stuff up as she went along. If Graham was going to be Ashley's next love, then plans were changed drastically. There were no other possibilities for Ashley.

The best she could do in terms of new characters was Scott Grainger and his involvement with Abby and Sharon.

Remember Scott was going to write a biography of Victor and then one day it was all off. Very Josh Griffith move.

Would love to hear what really went on in Sussman/Alden era.

• Members

Yes, I remember that Sussman interview. And she did indeed say something to that effect.

And I liked that Ravi/Ashley, but I could see why she mentioned that he was a stop to her next love interest. Which I did feel like was Graham. The actor and Eileen I felt had great adversarial chemistry and it would have been nice to see where it went. But I also felt that it would have been better if he had been poisoning Dina rather than going the declining health route. 

But I would have like to see what she could have done if she had more time and if Mal Young had not done his coup.