Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

The secondary/recurring characters on Y&R were really fleshed out in ways that no other soap did.

I laughed out loud at this. 

Y&R will never convince me that they couldn't afford to keep those actors around when they threw money at hideous sets that never get used (Dark Horse, anyone?)

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What about Charlie, Victors original house Man before Miguel? Did he get an exit or did he just disappear one day and Miguel took his place? For the longest time I thought he was the same guy who ended up drinking the poison Champagne at Victor and Nikki’s wedding because the Asian guy looked like him.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

John asked Nina out shortly after the Kimball ordeal..but she felt like she wasn't good enough to be with him.

How she met Ryan was partly due to Cricket.  She and Nina were having a girls night out at Gina's..and she trying to get Nina to open up. She saw Ryan sitting at the bar and convinced Nina to approach him.

Nina and Ryan talked then hooked up.  He had been at Gina's due to a fight with Vicki and having a drink at the bar.

I recall when both Vicki and Nina sat his college graduation and bonded over their 'men' lol

• Members

I don't think Charlie even got pummeled with clocks; they just threw a pepper shaker at him and said, "Hit the road, Chollie!"  He just sorta disappeared during the Eve Howard Reign of Terror while YRfan23's Asian man was choking to death at the Royal Wedding, and Nikki shrugged her shoulders and defaulted to "I'LL GET IT, MIGUEL" whenever the doorbell rang.  

• Members

Yeah I'd go with this. Even if he didn't get a final scene, I would guess it was implied Charlie was gone by the time Eve was poisining Victor. No way he was around during all that

Although I was surprised Brock was still living with Kay at the same time Phillip was in summer 1986. So who knows. I always figured Nrock would have told Jill. 

Edited by will81

• Members

@YRfan23 @kalbir @DRW50 @will81 @Broderick @Paul Raven

I don't know this is has been posted before at all, but figured I would at least share it or share it again in cased it has been buried underneath 500 pages of discussion. 

TOUR GUIDE TO GENOA CITY 

Welcome to Wisconsin

Genoa City, County of Walworth

Zip Codes: 53128, 53147

Population: 500,000

Founded by: Garfield Dandridge Chancellor, Civil War Hero

This guide was prepared with the intent of helping the visitor taste the flavor and capture the uniqueness of the ever burgeoning, historic, midwestern American city, with the hope of stimulating a spirit of exploration and adventure to go beyond what is representational, and to open eyes hearts to see what truly lies beyond the obvious. People and places, past and peasant, will reveal the fabric of the city. 

HOTELS

GENOA CITY HOTEL, 1100 EAST CHESTNUT

Formal, elegant, established. Desk clerk Keith Armstrong is a fixture here. 

GENOA TOWERS, 1500 ASHLAND 

A study in contrasts, this hotel is very contemporary. Try it. The Genoa City Hotel is also recommended, but avail the Croyden and the Delton Hotel at all costs. 

RESTAURANTS

COLONNADE ROOM, 350 EAST CHESTNUT 

For celebrating what is truly memorable. Jcques, the maître d' ensures you will savor every moment in your dining and wining pleasure. 

THE EMBERS RESTAURTANT & BAR, 1100 EAST CHESTNUT

Located in the posh Genoa City Hotel. 

GINA's PLACE, 216 SUMMIT

If it's a relaxing, romantic evening your crave, or the best pasta in town (try the Fettuccini Alfredi a la Gina), this is the place.  Shelby's, Top of the Towers, The Lodge, and Franklin's are also recommended for fine dining. 

SHOPPING

FENMORE'S, 470 EAST CHESTNUT

The Saks Fifth Avenue of Genoa City, it carries Versace, Jennifer Johns, and Forrester Creations. (Try Wiley's if you favor Spectra Fashions.) 

For the man in your life, there are several find specialty shops, such as Rodney Carson Clothiers. Tip for men: For your best girl, try East Teddy's for her lingerie. You might run into top fashion model Drucilla Winters! 

HOSPITALS AND CLINCIS

GENOA CITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL 308 SOUTH FOURTH STREET

Just as Drs. Snapper Foster, Casey Reed, and Scott Grainger before her, Dr. Olivia Winters maintains her officer at Memorial. Dr. Joshua Landers is also affiliated here. 

MARKET STREET CLINIC, 81 MARKET STREET

Located on the edge of town, this clinic was gutted and refurbished by Dr. Kurt Costner, who dedicated himself to serving the needy, as other Genoa City doctors before him, Snapper Foster and Mark Henderson did.

SCHOOLS/COLLEGES

GENOA CITY UNIVERSITY, 1200 HYDE PARK

This liberal arts institution attracts most of its students from local high schools and community colleges. Boasts a high placement ratio for its graduates, which includes Chris and Peggy Brooks, Philip Chancellor III, Traci Abbott, Lauren Fenmore, Christine Williams, Ryan and Nina McNeil, and most recently Nicholas Newman. Professors Tim Sullivan and Jack Curtis served on the faculty. 

CHURCHES

CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, 4458 EAST CHESTNUT

Mary Williams' church, where daughter Patty married Jack Abbott

There are several houses of worship in Genoa City. Ryan and Nina, Paul and Chris, chose the Chapel of the Good Shepherd for their nuptials, while Cole and Victoria were married at the Founders Chapel. Little Daniel Romalotti was baptized at St. Elmo's Catholic Church.

BUSINESS LISTINGS

NEWMAN ENTERPRISES, 7800 MELROSE AVENUE

Overlooking the city in his offices on the 22nd floor of Newman Towers, Chairman of the Board and President Victor Newman keeps close tabs on his worldwide financial conglomerate empire. His lieutenant, Chief Operating Officer Jack Abbot, is in charge of the day-to-day operations, having won his berth over Brad Carlton, who is no longer with the company. Victor entrusted Jack the training of his son, Nicholas, in every phase of the business. Grace Turner assists Nick. Neil Winters, vice president, is one of Newman's most trusted associates. 

JABOT COSMETICS, 304 FOURTH STREET

John Abbott, CEO, has his offices on the 12th floor of the Jabot building. He operates the buisness relatively independently despite being a subsidiary of its parent company Newman Enterprises. Ashley Abbott serves as president and chief chemist; she is in charge of product development. Jill Abbott continues to serves in an advisory capacity to the men's line, and is director of special projects. Victoria Newman Howard is the president of the Brash & Sassy line; and Ryan McNeil, vice president and director of the Jabot Men's Division. McNeils reports directly to Victor Newman himself. 

CHANCELLOR INDUSTRIES, 1000 MARKET STREET

Before his death, Phillip Chancellor II supervised all of the company's holdings, including the factory in Genoa City, where Liz Foster worked. After Phillip's death, Katherine relied on good friend Victor Newman to keep an eye on things, and on Mitchell Sherman for legal advice. 

PRENTISS INDUSTRIES, 402 N. CLINTON

One of the premier businesses in Genoa City, Prentiss Industries still stands. Vanessa Prentiss owned controlling stock interest; her two sons Lance and Lucas, battled each other and shared the rest of the stock between them. 

DENNISON-VANGUARD INDUSTRIES

Keith Dennison continues to run his company, which recently merged with Newman Enterprises. All financial backing is assumed by Newman Enterprises, which holds controlling interest. 

PAUL WILLIAMS INVESTIGATIONS, NEWMAN TOWERS SUITE 1002

Paul Williams operates his PI out of Newman Towers. Partners Andy Richards and Nathan Hastings are no longer with him, but longtime office manager Lynne Bassett still remains at her boss' side. 

LAWYERS

LEGAL AID, 75 MARKET ST

Some of Genoa City's finest labored on behalf of the needy, including Greg Foster with his aide, Chris Brooks, and Brock Reynolds. Even before she earned her law degree, Christine Williams interned here and devoted her energies to such causes as the rights of senoirs, drug addicts, and abused women. 

JOHN SILVA, WILTON BUILDING SUITE 308

Barristers are as plentiful in Genoa City as anywhere else in the nation. John Silva has practiced both criminal and civil law.

Other high profile attorneys in Genoa City are Mitchell Sherman, Michael Crawford, Kevin Andrews, Michael Baldwin, and Patrick Baker.

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST

CHRONICLE SQUARE

One of the more prominent of the city's squares, historically and architecturally. It feature the Chronicle, Genoa City's only daily newspaper; Transglobal Airlines; the offices of Dr. Timothy Reid, psychotherapist and marriage counselor; and the courthouse. 

PRIVATE HOMES AND MANSIONS 

No tour of Genoa City would be complete without driving past some of Genoa City's finest residences. Although these homes are not for public inspection, they represent the finest architecture the city has to offer.

The Abbotts, 603 Glenwood Drive

The Brookses 300 Hyde Park

The Dennisons 715 Hyde Park

The Chancellor Estate 12 Foothill Road

The Newman Ranch 421 Lakespur Trail, Hwy B

The Prentiss Estate 3780 Lake Shore, on Lake Geneva

The Rawlins/Carlton Home 1185 Cottage Grove Road

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

When I recall Y&R this is what I think of, (1) people talking to themselves in mirrors, (2) so-called contemporary stories about women, and (3) great music cues.

What I didn't recall was that John Considine originated the role of Phillip Chancellor II, or that Katherine had another maid before Esther.  And certainly this is not the configuration of Kay's living room that I recall, the fireplace is on the wrong wall, and there are no french doors out to the patio.

(BTW, I encourage anyone to join TikTok just to follow this creator who posts lots of vintage soap scenes.  As I've noted before I think full "classic" episodes are a bit boring, but I adore these bits and pieces.) (Also, gotta love those computer generated captions - "isn't Gil's dungeon today?")

Edited by j swift

• Members

Several of these were likely "inside jokes" that Bill Bell & Kay Alden concocted.  

Look at all of those "East Chestnut" addresses!   Miss Alden resided at 247 East Chestnut #2500 when those addresses were being utilized.  (She doesn't any longer.) 

7800 Melrose Avenue for Newman Towers likely reflects 7800 Beverly Blvd, the address of Television City in Hollywood. 

Lance Prentiss resided at 3780 Lake Shore Drive, Lake Geneva WI 53147.  When Bill & Lee Bell lived in Chicago, their weekend lake house was "Casa Del Sueno" at 780 South Lake Shore Drive, Lake Geneva WI 53147.   They sold it when they moved to Los Angeles.  

I guess all of these addresses were easy for them to remember as they were writing.  

• Members

John Considine was only on for a few episodes before being dropped.

Esther didn't come along till 82.

But that is the Chancellor set that lasted until they switched the angle around in the late 2000's and then shrunk the whole set a few years back.

The fireplace was always there and the french doors were in the seldom scene dining room, whose entrance we see next to the staircase

• Members

What strikes me about the set is how LIGHT-colored it is.  The walls are monochrome, with no difference in color or texture above & below the chair rail.  That got fixed soon afterward.

Also, the drapes are too pale here; later they became heavy, dark red or burgundy curtains, with sheers.

There aren't many sconces on the walls here, and there's not a lot of crystal shimmering yet.  Not many fresh flowers in there. 

The floors aren't finished yet, and there's a noticeable absence of rugs. 

And of course the orange Cheshire cats Kay always had on the mantel are nowhere to be seen yet.    

• Members

That's awesome!

Thanks for sharing! I'm guessing this was from one of the Y&R books released in the 90's? I liked how they included almost every character Past and Present when talking about that specific place. Even today I still like to believe the Brooks, Prentis, and even the Foster House still exist, but obviously occupied by new families or maybe even the offscreen long lost relatives like Brooks Prentis, or Jennifer Foster. 

I've never heard of Kevin Andrews? 

Haha the downtown area near where I live has a lot of "Chestnut" streets too! I think East Chestnut is one of them!   

• Members

@YRfan23 You’re welcome! As for Kevin Andrews, Andrews was the the lawyer who Michael had to work as a paralegal for and report to as when he was released and looking to practice law again and eventually Andrews played a part in getting Michael reinstated to the bar.

I am not sure why Patrick Baker was mentioned either, Y&R gave Gordon Thomson a contract role yet did nothing important with him except be an additional lawyer and BAM just one month later he’s on Sunset Beach driving major storylines. Maybe Gordon Thomson’s character should have been a love interest for Jill, Nikki and even Katherine instead?