Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Both Ray and Redd brought some pretty unique strengths to Mamie. I personally think Redd still oozed some much needed warmth but also was capable of holding her own ground especially with Dru and Jill.

I think Ray while warm and wonderful sometimes got used too much for either comedic relief or over the top flair ie flipping over and dropping a whole pan of hors d'oeuvres at the sight of Dina, fights with Jill etc. but it would have been interesting to see her carry on in the role into the early 90’s. 

One curious thing, I do wonder why Olivia and Dru were made nieces instead of daughters of Mamie herself or if Mamie had children of her own. I think that would have been a great classic classism story in retrospect and possible envy I suppose. I only thought about about it after my mother misremembered Mamie being their mother instead of their aunt during the 2020 classic reruns lol. 

• Members

August 1982

Jack hired glamor girl, Gloria, to split John and Jill.

So there was another Gloria involved with Abbotts all those years ago, Does anyone know who played her? It was probably a couple of episodes.

Imagine if this was the same Gloria, who years later remembered wealthy John Abbott and this time managed to land him.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

If Ron Carlivati were writing this show, and he had somehow stumbled upon that information?  Believe me, he would have found some way to tie the two Glorias together.

IKR?  I would have LOVED to see Drucilla, as the maid's daughter, who resented how much more attention her mother gave her boss's children, at least try and seduce Jack (or even John) into marriage just to prove she was just as good as the Abbott children.  If Drucilla and Olivia had been Mamie's daughters, rather than her nieces, then a Jack/Drucilla union could have caused so much tension among the two families.

My guess?  Even though she was playing a maid, she didn't want to play her like she was Beulah, and Jerry Douglas thought she was being "uppity" for demanding her character be written with dignity.

But, again, that's just my guess.

Edited by Khan