Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

I guess 1985 when Jack hired Nikki as a Jabot model (which happened around Mar 85). Not sure when they slept together, but I believe there were plenty of smooches at Jabot. It was the same time Victor rescued Ashley. Also Matt turned up about the same time and he and Nikki definitely made eyes at each other too and eventually (though not until 1986) planned to marry. In 1986 Nikki went back and forth between Jack and Matt while remaining hopeful about Victor. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember when Jin Min came on during the Latham era..and he/Ashley had chemistry..yet she was written off because Latham had no idea what to do with Ashley.

I remember thinking 'um, she and Jin Min could hook up,'.  I could have seen an Ashley/Jin Min/Jill triangle...with lots of hostile history already in place between Jill and Ashley.

When watching episodes in 1987 and 1988, while Steven and Ashley lacked passion...he held his own and they had an interesting back and forth...and that union did introduce us to Leanna Love..who I wish would pay a visit again.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

Making my way through ‘96, currently in July… I have an overall question re: Michelle Stafford’s first stint as Phyllis.

Her first few months in ‘94 were really noteworthy - revealing out of nowhere that Danny has a wife and baby, and proceeding to run Cricket and Paul down.

But after that… for the entirety of ‘95 and ‘96… what is the story? What does Phyllis do? It seems like she just stands in her apartment, talking to herself and fruitlessly scheming to get Danny back.

Considering MS’ popularity, the story seems surprisingly uneventful (nothing like Sheila switching babies and terrorizing her invalid mother). Am I missing something…?

• Members

That was just the lull of those years. Not much of anything was happening to a whole lot of characters. Things really don't pick up again until late 97. 

I remember watching in 95 and 96 was a chore. I have issues with the Olivia/Nathan story but did enjoy it at the time and I sort of liked Nick/Sharon, well more Sharon, I tolerated Nick. I think MS was popular enough that she was able to withstand just scheming in her apartment and not actually doing much. Pretty sure the whole story was the tease of her being found out and her fear about losing everything. That was it. Well that's all I remember

In reference to a previous conversation

Unpopular Opinion - I think J. Eddie Peck and Eileen worked. He was strong and could match her easily. At the time I didn't like them together, but with fresh eyes the chemistry is there. The problem as I see it, the show never gave them the opportunity to be in love. It was immediate conflict when she came back. They needed time to chill and find their groove. The other issue is Alden wrote Cole as being far more strong and dominant with Ash then he ever was with Victoria, and made Ashley weaker towards him than she had ever been with any man. While at the same time having them in constant crises. In other words the actors worked, the writing didn't. Because Cole and Ashley were so unhappy with each other pretty much from the time Eileen came back, she seemed so distant and uncomfortable with Peck. Which was most likely an acting choice (and I'd say correct) but was the wrong writing choice for these two. It was probably why I didn't like them together at the time.

Edited by will81

• Members

This was when BD started to get OTT in her acting. I don't think EB took her seriously in that scene. 

OTOH I recently saw some summer 1989 scenes w/ EB and JW and it seemed Victor and Jill were intrigued by each other. I think those scenes planted the seed for the Victor/Jill hookup in the fall of 1992. Would Victor and Jill have worked as a 1990s business power couple?

• Members

They quite possibly would have had it been brought to fruition. There was actually some considerable backlash the show got for showing Victor and Jill sleeping with each other because people thought it was gross and very un Jill like I wonder if that’s why they squashed it.

A long term Victor and Jill pairing would have been pretty tumultuous especially if Billy had turned out to be Victor’s seed instead and would have required a complete equal playing field…the only possible comparisons I can think of for a potential Victor & Jill power marriage would have been either Lucinda & John on ATWT or Stefano & Kate on Days. My guess is the marriage would have ended with either Victor & Nikki and/or Ashley having an affair while Jill got it on with either Ryan, Cole, or yes Nick lol. 

• Members

Sorry I didn’t see this but the main thing about Phyllis during that time period was not only her paranoia and also spinning her great web of lies and deception as foundation. Phyllis pulled her own intriguing supporting cast with her lover Peter Garrett to make Danny jealous while Dr. Tim Reid and Sasha participated in her nefarious schemes to make everything look good.

There came a point where Phyllis realized Christine’s heart was really with Paul’s but knew Danny wanted to steal Christine back…maybe Phyllis should have included Mary Williams in on her schemes?

• Members

@soapfan770 How was Jill hooking up w/ Victor not Jill-like? Jill was Y&R's original social climbing vixen, always on the lookout for a come up. Remember a decade earlier she kicked Andy to the curb when John Abbott returned to Genoa City. 

If I remember 1992 storylines correctly, Jill was interested in Blade but he was drawn to Ashley. Not long after was the Victor/Jill hookup.

Fall 1992 Victor was all alone. His marriage to Ashley had ended and Nikki decided to stay married to Jack. Jill was a diversion, I'd say, but no real love on his part.

• Members

Lol that’s a good question, I was just repeating from the general consensus I have read through the rec.arts.tv.soaps Google archive from late 1992. Those finicky folks also really hated Victor at the time.

It would also not surprise me if one those online pioneer posters in the Prodigy was also the one who submitted the nasty letter to SOD about how Jill grabbing a paralyzed David’s private parts in an attempt to prove he was faking was very very obscene and ruined their lunchtime appetite. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I think Victor saw Jill in 1985 as amusing and as a lady of leisure, a society wife and an annoyance. I am betting EB saw BD as amusing. Though I do think Victor's reaction to her is also because she is pissing him off by being so dismissive. He wants to maintain a certain respect for Mrs. John Abbott but you can tell inwardly he doesn't like her much. 

I think Victor was intrigued by Jill post divorce possibly because she didn't simply ask for a bunch of money to lounge about and enjoy. She scored a job and worked her butt off when she didn't have to. 

I have no issue with Jill having a romp with Victor. What seemed out of place was her deep feelings that led to her giddy idea that they would be married, and her heartbreak when  it didn't happen. Very odd from a woman like Jill and especially when they had only being having some booty call meet ups for a few months.

I do feel that was all set up to have John feel sorry for her and take her back and lead to their marriage. 

• Members

It would have worked and it would have ended in flames given Jill's misery and Victor's ego.

I wonder what would have happened if Victor and Lauren had gotten involved? My guess is Lauren is too independent for Victor who likes needy women. Both of them would most likely have been cheating on each other.

As for Brad, I'm having trouble thinking off a female lead he hasn't touched (or at least attempted to) lol. 

• Members

Brad really did work his way through the entire cast. Ashley, Traci, Lauren, Nikki, Victoria, Jill, Diane, Olivia, Sharon...by the time he died the character was kind of exhausted. I think if they hadn't botched the revelations about his past/childhood perhaps he could have lasted longer.

• Members

In more ways than one. 

Please register in order to view this content

Agree.  Exploring Brad's pre-Genoa City past was an intriguing idea, especially for a character who, like you said, had been exhausted.  But, tying it to Nazis and turning it all into some cheap, Indiana Jones knock-off...?  That's just not the kind of story that Y&R would ever have done well, not even during the Bill Bell/Kay Alden/Wes Kenney glory days.

If anything, I would have revealed that Brad was born into a Mafia family and had changed his identity in order to escape from that life.  They could have even said he had been overweight and homely-looking before he underwent reconstructive surgery, which would explain why the man was always so damn in love with himself, lol.

• Members

I think Phyllis' appeal came from DANNY and CRICKET both being holier than thou for so long that it was so delicious for them to have an adversary who was so much fun while being a "baddy". And as you pointed out: all sidekick characters were great in their own way. I'd add Joanie the nanny who had the most excruciating pieces of dialogue with "Mrs. Romalotti". During most of Phyllis' first run, Nikki was held hostage at the Newman ranch by the writers similiar to Phyllis being stuck in her living room 24/7 but it was light and day in regards to the character having appeal and driving story.

I think we all agree with you that there were at least 1001 better storyline ideas of what we got as the reliquary mess. LMAO