Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

When they had Sex and the City wardrobe infiltrate Guiding Light, people weren't in to it. They got so many complaints. I can still picture Marah's RIDICULOUS hat.

I do think it's hilarious that if you go to Brooklyn now, you see a bunch of hipsters wearing flannel. The last time flannel was in, New York City eschewed the movement and stuck to wearing all black. Just funny to me.

• Members

I didn't know about Greg/April. Or Jack/Peggy (was this mentioned when he flirted with Chris later?). Or Nikki and that doctor. I wonder why they didn't bring him back in 1996 instead of having her marry the gyno she'd known for about five minutes.

• Members

Peggy's Jack was Professor Jack Curtis, not Jack Abbott.

Bill Bell often reused character names, ie. Brad Eliot/Brad Carlton, Chris Brooks/Christine Blair, Jack Curtis/Jack Abbott, Michael Scott/Michael Crawford/Michael Baldwin, John Abbott/John Silva, Diane Jenkins/Diane Weston.

• Members

Soap changes your approach. A soap sets up a pattern, a habit. I needed to develop a new kind of freshness for what I was doing. I felt the need to extend my boundaries, to widen my distance. Soap operas are very compressed. Working on a film is different because it demands more size and scope. As the movie progressed I got more comfortable with my work.

Bill came to Young & Restless via Raquel Welch's Kansas City Bomber film. Sources at MGM have reported his work was excellent but much of it never found its way into the final product because, as some speculate, Raquel felt he was too overpowering in their scenes together. Viewing what was left we found that even what remained proved this point: Bill's only major scene with her was one of the highlights of the picture.

"I still want to study in England, but I guess I'll just play it by ear. It's funny, but now that I have the opportunity to look ahead and I'm in a position to do so, I find I'm not looking as far ahead as I was when I was on the show and under contract. I was constantly looking forward to what was next. Now that I'm there I'm just playing it as it happens and seeing how things fall."

Bogart Slept Here is more or less about an actor (much like Dustin Hoffman) who kicks around New York and Broadway for a long time and then gets discovered by a Hollywood movie producer (much like Mike Nichols who is directing the film and who discovered Hoffman for The Graduate). In the film Bill describes his role as follows, "I play an actor who meets the Hoffman character (he was to be played by Robert De Niro but at press time producers were considering James Caan for the lead), we test for the same role, we meet ad have a scene. I guess you can say the character is a young, employed New York actor."

Before doing Young & Restless, Bill was a guest on most of the major nighttime shows like Streets of San Francisco and his approach three years later is somewhat different..."Sure I'll probably do them again, but they'll all be things I want to do, I won't just be working, working, working for the sake of it or for the money. I'll try and choose the right things and get the best mileage out of them."

I asked Bill if he had any reservations about leaving the safety and security of Young & Restless. "No," he answered in loud tones. "I feel very positive, very good about the move. I think change is always helpful. You try and get as much information as you can and then act on it. Well, that's what I did and I feel very positive about my decision. I have no apprehensions, regrets, or second thoughts about it at all."

However strong he feels about leaving Bill has a lot of gratitude for what he's learned the last three years. "I've certainly come away from the show with a lot more than I went into it with. Any actor who gets the opportunity of working or getting any experience doing a particular job is going to walk away with, hopefully, more than he went in with."

Three years ago William was a young actor who had been in Hollywood six months. He was faced with a monumental decision for a newcomer. Should he accept a part on an as yet unaired soap opera named, of all things, The Young and the Restless? Or, should he opt for film and nighttime TV parts that carry more status in the industry? At that time I suggested that in no way could hurt his career. Now coming out of it we both reflected on that promise..."You did promise it would be an education and it was," remarked Bill. "However, what I learned from the soap needed modification when applied to film work. It needed a freshness and amplification that I didn't get from my soap training. The Veil afforded me the chance to experiment with these things and I find there isn't any problem adjusting.

"Now, I feel that what's in front of me is the challenge and the freedom of whatever life and work has to offer. Getting new jobs or going to Europe is very intriguing, whether it's work, theater, regional theater, films or even another soap. I now have a chance to breathe, to experiment.

"One thing that was great about the show was when people, whose work I admired said, 'Look, your work was really good, you have something to offer.' I was never allowed to get out and do other things while I was on the soap and I had a need for that. You can't do other things when you're tied up in a soap. The people in charge felt it important I only do the soap and that's one of the reasons I'm leaving."

So Bill Espy will go out into the world of show business and make his way again. He has a good chance to accomplish everything he wants to do because he's trained and has good credits behind him. Also, lest we forget, he has a large following of loyal fans to bolster him at the box office.

- TONY RIZZO

• Members

I'm always curious, because I LOVED her on Days of our Lives and can not and will not ever accept Lauren Koslow because of her, but what was Deborah Adair like as Jill? I have her on my fanfic and I had never imagined her in the part before but LOVE writing the character FAR more with her in mind.

Cole was best suited over on ABC romancing Little Budig. Eve dying, sorta remember and fine I think I agree with.

• Members

Yes, that is indeed why Mitchell was there. To prove to he courts that anything that Jack did while he was gone wouldn't matter cause he was never dead.

I'm not sure why Ryan was there. I mean i know it must be because Victor thought he would try to get close to Victoria again while he was gone, but other than that there really was no reason for him to be there.

I think it was a little dumb of Victor to invite Nikki with everyone else. Wouldn't he just think it would ruin the special moment for her to be there with everyone else?

I think that Lauren should have been present at that gathering since she took Brad in at Fenmores. Then again one of the reasons why i say that is because i would have love to see what Lauren was like having scenes with people i rarely would see her in the same room with at that time (Ryan, Brenda Eppersons Ashley, Douglas, and Mitchell.)

Edited by yr9190