Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

Synopses from May 29, 1990 SOD

Covering Late April/Early May 1990.

AN OFFER JACK CAN'T REFUSE?

Brad faces the toughest challenge of his career- selling Leanna Love as Jabot's new spokesperson. The boards members are won over by Leanna, but not Ashley. She'll never give her approval, Ashley warns Brad.

QUICK SALE:

Having sold Chancellor Industries to the first bidder, Marge puts Kay's estate on the market. She instructs the realtor to dump the mansion quickly. The place holds to many memories, Marge explains to Brock. Baffled by his mother's actions, Brock seeks help from Dr. Furney. The bottle is the only explanation for all the changes his mother is making, Brock decides.

ESTHER'S BIG CHANCE:

Esther is rushed to the hospital with stomach pains. Scott insists she be admitted for testing, but Lil says no way. Esther has no insurance or money, Lil says. Brock catches a glimpse of Esther as he leaves Dr. Furney's office and volunteers to cover the cost of her medical bills. Esther is filled with hope, but Lil warns her to keep her yap shut- or the real Kay is history.

MARGE ALMOST BLOWS IT:

Marge is so anxious to unload the Chancellor Estate she almost destroys her cover when she welcomes Nina, a potential buyer, with open arms. Nina and Chase are thrown by the friendly greeting.

LAUREN HAS A LOT TO HANDLE:

Still reeling from the news of her pregnancy, Lauren is upset when Scott announces that he's decided to accept the out-of town residency. As soon as she's alone, Lauren dissolves into tears.

TWO FOR THE ROAD:

When Jeff turns out to be Skylar's natural father, Carol flees with the baby. Skip tracks her down to a Milwaukee motel. Nan's thrilled when Jeff says he'll stand by her decision to revoke the adoption.

MARITAL BED A BUST:

Jack is humiliated when he can't perform in bed with Nikki. Unknown to Jack, Miguel has been spiking his food with saltpeter, per Victor's instructions.

Jill wishes Rex hadn't signed a prenuptial agreement with Kay, but concedes that even penniless, he has plenty of sex appeal. After years of friendship, they finally give in to the passion that has always existed between them.

KAY CAN'T PHONE HOME:

Kay convinces Morey that she must phone the hospitalized Esther. He places the call, but Brock is on hand when the call goes through. Lil pulls the phone wire out of the wall before Brock gets a chance to speak to Kay. Esther needs her est, Lil tells Brock. Suspicious of all the peculiar goings-on, Brock persuades Scott to keep Esther hospitalized a while longer.

OOPS, DUMP IDEA:

Anxious to raise her son in the house she shared with his father, Nina goes to the Chancellor Estate with a check in hand. However, she's forced to scrap her dream when she hears Phillip speaking out to her. The house holds too many painful memories, she admits to Cricket. As Chase comforts a disappointed Nina, David watches them through binoculars. from across the street.

TRADING PLACES:

Victor offers Jack a deal. Leave Nikki and the kids, and Jabot will be returned to the Abbotts. Jack has twenty-four hours to decide. Jack confides to Leanna that Victor has taken the bait- the Abbotts will once again have what is rightfully theirs. Leanna is shocked that Jack would trade Nikki for a company. Not just any company, Jack tries to explain. Jabot is the company his father built and then lost, because of his son's stupidity.

Positive that Jack will toss Nikki aside for shares of stock, Victor rushes to be with his family. Nikki declines her ex's dinner invitation. She has a husband now, she reminds Victor.

Jack returns home to a loving bride. She tells him about her strange visit from Victor, suspecting he's up to something. Jack shows her the agreement that Victor presented to him earlier. Nikki flies into a rage. She can't believe the lengths Victor would go to to manipulate her life. What kind of man would trade a wife and kids like commodities? she fumes. Jack holds his tongue.

HERE COMES TROUBLE:

Streetwise Nathan finds himself the victim of a pickpocket. He sketches a picture of the girl and vows to locate her. Meanwhile, when Nathan's wallet proves practically worthless, Drucilla pays a call to her long- lost Aunt Mamie for a handout.

NOT A GOOD IDEA:

Paul convinces a reluctant Cassandra to join him for a night on the town. Just as the expected, people won't ignore their highly publicized past. Paul decks a man at Top of the Tower, who congratulates them for pulling off a scam. Other patrons stare at the infamous couple. A crying Cassie runs from the room.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Here is the second part of Jan 1988. All I can say is Paul's business was pretty busy this month. I will try to get Feb and March done over the next day, then aim for 3 months every week.

January 18th – 29th

Ashley recovers from a bout of fatigue, to continue enjoying her honeymoon with her husband. Determined to end the marriage, Leanna sends more poisoned flowers and lei’s and attends a luau in disguise. The party is to honor Ash and Steven’s wedding vows. In the middle of the feast, Ashley is taken ill as a result of her exposure to the poison in the flowers and lei’s. Steven takes Ashley back the their room and arranges for a doctor and a flight home to Genoa City.

Setback

Stricken with an attack of acute appendicitis, Leanna is forced to undergo emergency surgery in Hawaii and must stay behind when the newlyweds return home. By the time Ashley is admitted to the hospital in Genoa City, she seems recovered and the doctors can find nothing wrong with her. Leanna was foiled…….this time.

Jack The Matchmaker

Jack tells Marc that Nikki isn’t moving off the Newman Ranch. Now is the time for Marc to make his move, Jack pushes, before Nikki and Victor have a chance to patch up their differences. Heeding Abbotts advice, Marc invited Nikki to go dancing. She’ll have to check her schedule, Nikki answers cagily.

Parental Problems

Gina is worried that Rex is in some kind of hot water. Not to worry, Rex assures hi daughter. He’s paid his debt to society and is on the straight and narrow. Impressed by Rex’s sincerity, Gina reprimands Danny for telling Kay that Rex is a con man. Danny should talk to Rex and see how he’s changed. Danny refuses. Danny isn’t the only one with a parent he can’t stand to be around. Cricket wants absolutely nothing to do with her mother. She’s relieved when Jessica’s departure date passes, unaware that Kay has convinced Jessica to stay in town.

Nina’s Night Out

Paul is convinced that Chuck is the man Jill is looking for. Set up a meeting as soon as possible, an anxious Jill orders the detective. Amy has to fork over one hundred dollars to get Chuck to agree to meet with Jill. It will be worth the money, Jill is certain. When Chuck finally meets Jill, he reveals – for an additional five hundred dollars – that he slept with Nina. However there is no way he is the father of any kid Nina is carrying, Chuck adds. He’s sterile. He gives Jill the name of his doctor, who will confirm his condition.

Nina talks Esther into a night on the town. Mrs. Chancellor doesn’t ever need to know, cajoles the stir crazy boarder. Dressed in some of Kay’s old clothes, the women head for a singles bar, where they pick up a couple of men. Esther gives her phone number to one of them. The man Nina has attached herself to immediately loses interest when he discovers Nina is pregnant. Ticked off, Nina wants to leave. As Nina and Esther make their way through the parking lot to find their car, Nina slips on the ice and falls. Grabbing her abdomen, Nina begs Esther to rush her to the hospital. Esther is terrified – now Mrs. Chancellor will really be mad at her.

Enough Is Enough

Lauren believes Marc is after JoAnna’s money. When JoAnna refuses to listen to her daughter’s suspicions, Lauren hires Paul to investigate Mergeron. She won’t stand by and watch Marc clean out her mother’s bank account. Not only does Brad refuse to accompany Lauren to the hospital to discuss the Neil Fenmore cardiac care wing, he tells her he can’t see her anymore. He found that Lauren told Tim that she and Brad were seeing each other. Shaken, Lauren begs him not to end their relationship. She needs him in her life. Lauren’s tearful pleas convince a reluctant Brad to help her set up the foundation for her father.

Jack does his darndest to downplay Brad and Jill’s success with their new product line. But John has decided that it is time to go national and severely reprimands Jack for his negative position.

Prove It!

Esther summons Kay to the hospital after Nina’s fall. Jill arrives too, and both women secretly hope Nina has a miscarriage. To their chagrin, a period of touch-and-go is followed by Nina’s recuperation. Back home, Kay insists that Nina will have to be locked in her room. Nina proved she can’t be trusted. She has no business bar hopping with Esther. When Nina balks at being held prisoner, Kay tells her she can either accept her fate or get out of the Chancellor house. Nina backs down.

Rex wants to contact his son, but Gina doesn’t think it’s a good idea. Danny still blames Rex for his mother’s death. Rex persuades Gina to give him the key to Danny’s apartment and he heads over to confront his son for the first time in years. The sight of his father makes Danny furious. Rex wants to make amends, but Danny won’t let him. Danny tells his father that if he really wants to prove that he has turned away from a life of crime, then he should stop seeing Kay…….forever. Rex is in a quandary.

You Had A Father

Cricket is mad. Not only has her mother decided to stay in town, she rented an apartment in Cricket’s building. She wants to make up for the years they’ve spent apart. Jessica had her mother raise Cricket so that Cricket wouldn’t be affected by Jessica’s lifestyle, by the constant stream of men in her life, Jessica explains. Cricket wants to know who her father was. Jessica tells her, he was a soldier who died in Vietnam. He was going to marry Jessica, but died before he knew he was going to be a father. A dubious Cricket hires Paul to investigate Jessica’s claim.

• Members

I can't imagine Nina and Esther bar hopping! They played up this Esther/Nina relationship for a while, as later Nina convinced Esther to become her maid, without the uniform (how LML!). It's too bad the show dropped this.

For a long time I thought that Steven was killed with a poisoned lei. Now I realize that was used to poison Ashley.

• Members

LOL at Nina and Esther bar-hopping. And its weird that a year later, Nina was terrible to Esther when she hired her as her maid.

So Marc was struck in between Nikki and Joanna? Its interesting that they didn't make some sort of triangle with him and those two (unless they kind of did later).

That scene were Nina falls on the ice is actually on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nslm8u9JT98&feature=channel_video_title

LOL at Esther: "It looked like he was undressing me with his eyes"

• Members

Yeah they had the scene of Nina slipping over on the ice up on youtube, not sure about the scenes in the bar. Steven was murdered by the son of one of his patients who shot him after he committed the guys mother to a mental health hospital. I think that may have been Eileen's last week on the show, not sure. Her last air date has often been cited as Nov 8th or something around there.

• Members

They seemed to be hinting at a move into a job with Nikki - she manages Danny's charity concert and seems to do OK (there's no real mention after that). Too bad it was dropped, since her only story in 1989 seems to be the relationship with Jim Grainger.

It's so ghoulish reading about how Jill and Katharine wanted Nina to lose her baby. Another example of Kay not being the saint she is now made out to be.

I always thought Leanna had killed Steven. I guess Bill Bell loved the character so he took her out of that story. Did she have any reaction to Steven's death?

• Members

Not sure what the deal was I think they were in Victoria's name, Nikki convinces Victor to sign them into her name so that she can give them back to Victoria, so she has a legacy to pass on, though she gives them to Marc, or something like that. I will have to dig out the next few issues when I get a chance and see what the deal was.

Edited by will81

• Members

I was shocked that Nikki even had any scenes with Danny at all. That stuff did sound interesting, I do remember that there was once an old episode where Nikki is talking about that job to Victor.

I guess in 1988/1989 Bill wanted to experiment with some new character interactions that never came up before like Victor/Lauren and Danny/Nikki. Besides later Scott/Lauren/Sheila, Danny and Cricket never really interacted with anyone else out of their own sphere, except a few exceptions.

That stuff with Jill and Kay is indeed pretty ghoulish, I wonder if it looked better on screen than it does on paper. I feel like Nikki was sort of blinded by Kay in some aspects.

• Members

It was probably something that was dropped, remember that this was right before the show reached number 1, so perhaps Bill was sort of struggling on which directions to take certain characters.Even so, all of this stuff is miles better than what Maria has created.

Edited by yr9190

• Members

yr9190 I checked and I have all the 1991 synopses you're looking for. I will try to find them and get them up by tonight or tomorrow.

I really wanted to say thanks for all the talk here and the videos you upload. It may be fun at times to bitch about Y&R but it's also nice to remember what the show used to be and still should be.

• Members

Thanks Carl smile.png, I can't wait to read them smile.png

It's always a pleasure to be able to do things for classic Y&R fans like myself, and i believe that its important to share all these things with u guys, and i love posting my classic episodes and old recaps etc...

I hate to admit that i really been only watching regulary since 2008, even though i kind of used to watch it with my mom when i was more than a toddler. Watching the old episodes online before i started watching it regulary helped me understand what the show was about, and even i wasn't stupid to realize that the Y&R i started watching wasn't the same as the old episodes/ clips i have already seen on youtube.

So i felt like i had to get that off my chest, but i don't think it matters anyway, I love the show (or what it should be) and just enjoy everything that it didn't have that the other soaps i watched before has. Just that "classic" soap feel.

Anyways i'm glad you guys have enjoyed these old but goodies and i will post more of my old synopses asap as well smile.png

Edited by yr9190