As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I posted it during the livestream that there definitely was nothing that hadn't already been covered in previous interviews being explored.  I was just so glad to see Eileen. Given, a few posters who popped up in this thread last year trying to spread the notion that Eileen was cognitively unable to do one of these livestreams (persons who don't seem to be around anymore, thankfully), I was just glad to see her. I was also tickled to hear her respond "Of course, I remember!" to a number of Locher's questions. It speaks of a lady who has been asked this question more than once and is perhaps weary of being asked whether she remembers something.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She did. It's where she grew up. She simply moved back home now that she's retired. It's a pretty common thing most people in show business do once they retire and leave the industry.

She did. It's where she grew up. She simply moved back home now that she's retired. It's a pretty common thing most people in show business do once they retire and leave the industry.

Did anyone watch the stuff 1980? I'm dying to read you guy's thoughts.

The best for me was John and Dee's dysfunctional relationship. John's very riveting to watch. The Dobson's totally got him. I liked Cricket and Lyla's talk. I don't think i have ever seen Nancy be so ice cold with anyone. As she was with Joyce. The endless scenes of Dee and Brad making googly eyes at each other. As they wished each other well. On their upcoming weddings. Was rough to watch.   ATWT was so slow and boring for the most part.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Thanks @victoria foxton. This seems to be the end of one episode and then another, with a few minutes of GL in between. I think that GL episode is on Youtube so that may help us with the date. 

That first episode has a transition shot between that googly-eyed, mustached baddie in the James story (who ends up kidnapping Barbara eventually - one of her 500 kidnappings in these years) and Brad, also googly-eyed and mustached. One was meant to be wicked, the other was meant to be our hero. Funnily enough I think the baddie is much more charismatic and attractive even though he is obviously not meant to be. 

What a live wire Joyce is. You can just feel the tortured energy from her and even as you are sympathetic toward her, you aren't surprised that Nancy, who spent her life trying not to be that type of woman, absolutely detests her. That ATWT fired Barbara Rodell and let Helen Wagner quit in this period, while parading a series of ingenues so wan they make Rosanna look like Lucinda Walsh, is truly sad. 

Did they intend to dress Dee like Alice in Wonderland? The dress, the headband, everything. Jacquie Schulz has an appeal to her, it's just what they do with her that is so dull.

Nice to see more of early Lyla, and of course Cricket, with her special line readings...

Veleka Gray reminds me of Lois Nettleton.

@Mitch you might enjoy this one too.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Ha..pervy Brad. I was watching at this time and I still don't remember how, if he was so in love with Dee...(did they have kiss or have sex..) he chooses to marry Annie instead, and how no one but John knows what is really happening.  The Dobson's did get John, but that was about it on ATWT so it became the John Dixon hour. That scene between Brad and Dee goes on and on..and it would work if the two actors had chemistry...fiiled with regret and longing, but it just drags on with these two. The Stewarts owning a silver mine is dumb.

Nancy is stone cold in this and so much different then the good grandma Marland made her. I like that she is steel here and her line reading "Lisa doesn't tell me what to do" ..ah Joyce, you in trouble girl! I liked that she could be the loving mom, grandma and friend, but would not take anyone's crap. Did the Dobson's have trouble writing that after coming off Bert Bauer..or was it just a dumb..lets make everything younger and force Wagner to quit?  I think it would have been fun to write a matriarch like her..part Alice Horton part Angela Channing. What coma is poor boring Mary in now..the one that came from her and Joyce arguing or when she got hit by a car?I actually think poor befulded Don is kind of sexy...but then I thought "fat" fat Ed Bauer...of which we get a glimpse here. was sexy too.

I liked this Lyla much better then the meek mouse Ann Sward played...she actually seemed tough and a former ho. Cricket isn't so bad here..she just could not carry a storyline and they were obviously going for a young Erica thing or to try to match Nola on GL..but they eventually figured it out and she would have two lines an episode. This Betsy is cuter then I remember and seems real, like someone you went to school with. How old was Reckle's Brad supposed to be..he seems so much older then Betsy and his line readings are weird.  What a dull character for the "hot hunk."

James was not as cartoony back then and he actually had parents which was totally forgotten later. I remember this as Babs gets prepared to be chased through the museum. I love that no one can figure out that Lars is up to no good just by looking at him!