• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for posting this. 

It's like I posted in a different thread in this section: soaps have a very difficult time with innovation on any level. They don't do it very often. Phillips was voted down when she wanted to ditch the organ music when The Guiding Light was finally brought to television (another change that P&G resisted for years, as they wanted to keep TGL on radio, while Phillips immediately wanted to bring the serial to TV as soon as the technology became available) because Phillips worried that the organ music, which she deemed unnecessary for a visual medium like television, would become a trope that would be easily mocked. 

Phillips wasn't always right and Lord knows she had a history of being unkind, at times, but she was clearly right in these instances.

I think her constant battles with P&G and her even more frequent bouts with self-doubt clearly embittered her and also gave her a world view that a woman in a man's world was always going to be constrained.

• Members

Something very interesting that I picked up on when I watched an episode from November 1986. Frannie Hughes, while in London, was having a conversation with a PhD candidate in child clinical psychology, Dr. Hildebrand whose focus, among one other speciality, was autism.

I wonder whether this was there earliest reference to autism in a daytime soap?

The quality of this episode is poor, so, at times it can be hard to make out some bits, here and there but Dr. Hildebrand was definitely clear on autism.

• Members

Normally, I avoid these gossipy blogs and vlogs but I actually recognized the subjects in this particular video. When the host described the situation as a soap opera and then proceeded to yell "Soap opera music!" And OMG, guess what theme music was used at the :22 second mark??

Please register in order to view this content

Actually, the music begins around the :16 second mark.

My God, he's petty though!

• Members

Well, count me in as someone who had no idea that Hensley sang.

The men on the show didn't often sing as much or as often as the women did. There were a few exceptions, like Bob's duet with Kim at their wedding reception. This seemed to be in contrast with some other '80s soaps that had seemed to have their fair share of singers (Michael Damian, Rick Springfield, Jack Wagner).

• Members

RICHARD BACKUS

LOVERS AND FRIENDS/ FOR RICHER, FOR POORER   Jason Saxton   1977-78

ANOTHER WORLD             Ted Bancroft             1979

RYAN'S HOPE                     Barry Ryan         1980-81

BARE ESSENCE                Alan             1983

AS THE WORLD TURNS        Dr. Russ Elliott   1984-85

Attorney Karl Eldredge           1991-93

Agent  Jason Benedict   John Hutton        89      

[District Attorney; tried to prosecute Paul Stenbeck; later married Iva Snyder]

Jonathon Hogan   92-93