Jump to content

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


edgeofnik

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • P.J.

    668

  • Soapsuds

    1359

  • DRW50

    2509

  • DramatistDreamer

    1689

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

It's odd with how dowdy they dressed Ellen in the 70s..when by the mid 80s..she had a more youthful look again.

There were moments when Ellen would be fiesty..but it seemed like the show didn't know what to do with her.  I figured when David was killed off in 1991..that it would open up some new avenues to explore..alas not to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Ellen was hard done by.

They didn't bring back her daughters, especially Dee who still had story potential, with only one marriage under her belt.

Unlike Annie who had 3 marriages and 4 children'.

Any or all of Ellen's quad grandkids could have been SORASED but no dice.

1 hour ago, Franko said:

And didn't David date Linda Dano's character, Cynthia, for a minute?

He fell for her when he had amnesia and was calling himself Donald Saunders.

14 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

It's odd with how dowdy they dressed Ellen in the 70s..when by the mid 80s..she had a more youthful look again.

Ellen was made frumpy to be believable as the mother of Sorased Dan. I think John Colenback was only a couple of years younger than Pat Bruder.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

It's odd with how dowdy they dressed Ellen in the 70s..when by the mid 80s..she had a more youthful look again.

There were moments when Ellen would be fiesty..but it seemed like the show didn't know what to do with her.  I figured when David was killed off in 1991..that it would open up some new avenues to explore..alas not to be.

Doug Marland planned to give Ellen more interesting things to do, after David died.  Unfortunately Marland passed away before he got around to it.  There was a budding romance with Ralph Mitchell (who had returned), just at the end of Marland's run, but the next set of writers dropped it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 hours ago, Franko said:

And didn't David date Linda Dano's character, Cynthia, for a minute?

Yes...they had no chemistry...and but she had a daughter Karen, who caused trouble for dull as dirt Annie/Jeff and blackmailed James into marrying her (thus dumping Dee at the altar) and then got involved with John and fought Lucy over him. She was fun. Its too bad that they didn't find a Cynthia who HF had chemistry with to prolong the David/Ellen split, but to tell you the truth...HF was never going to light up the screen with chemistry as good of an actor HF was. 

 

11 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

It's odd with how dowdy they dressed Ellen in the 70s..when by the mid 80s..she had a more youthful look again

Oh..the bun!!! But it was also the pained expression Ellen and dour David always had on their faces. When they "jazzed" (as my mom would say) Ellen up and let her smile she was pretty....though my Grandmother never bought it..."Look at dull old Ellen, trying to be cute with that long hair!"  The dour days must have been hell for Bruder to play.

 

3 hours ago, Neil Johnson said:

There was a budding romance with Ralph Mitchell (who had returned), just at the end of Marland's run, but the next set of writers dropped it.  

No offense to the actor, but if the "hot" storyline was putting her with Ralph Mitchell after all these years and sitting in a corner, if I was Bruder I would have thrown the script up in the air!  I just wish someone had the balls to give Lisa back her claws..have her write an expose..."Murders Among Us" in the Argos, with Ellen's article..."Suburban Murderess"  Ellen then wakes up and goes and smacks Lisa down in the Hughes kitchen when they both invariably stop by for coffee in the morning...with Kim and Nancy pulling them apart. Maybe they could have brought Scott back and paired him with Dee..she had a taste for bad apples...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Oh..the bun!!! But it was also the pained expression Ellen and dour David always had on their faces. When they "jazzed" (as my mom would say) Ellen up and let her smile she was pretty....though my Grandmother never bought it..."Look at dull old Ellen, trying to be cute with that long hair!"  The dour days must have been hell for Bruder to play.

Even just letting her hair "be" in its natural wavy state, instead of trying to brush it straight and into that Little House On The Prairie bun made her look fresher and more youthful.

When I look at episodes on YouTube of how she was styled in the late 1970s and very early 1980s, it's unfortunate. That styling really made her look consistently dowdy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 11/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, Mitch said:

Wow...slutting around with a married guy..did she even love David or was it just to get the kid..and then killing someone! She sounds worse then Lisa at her height of bitchiness!  Meaning I think I would have liked her. She could have made such an interesting character and she was just a dull frau.  I can't believe during their little annoyance with each other that Ellen didn't bring up that Lisa was a slut and Lisa could say "Well honey, I never MURDERED anyone!" and the Ellen slap her...making Kim and Bob rattle their tea cups! I know, a bit too intense for Marland and polite Oakdale. They should have at least given Ellen a wistfull air or a temper.

 

The Lisa/Ellen feud went way back to when Ellen was trying to get custody of Dan. Lisa was very against what Ellen was doing and let her know it. It didn't help that Penny and Ellen were best friends and Penny couldn't stand Lisa either in those days. Then, the animosity got a lot deeper when Lisa had an affair with (and a baby by) Ellen's stepfather, Michael Shea. The affair turned Claire into a suicidal lush and pretty much destroyed her. Ellen never forgave Lisa for what she did to her mother. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 hours ago, Bill Bauer said:

 

The Lisa/Ellen feud went way back to when Ellen was trying to get custody of Dan. Lisa was very against what Ellen was doing and let her know it. It didn't help that Penny and Ellen were best friends and Penny couldn't stand Lisa either in those days. Then, the animosity got a lot deeper when Lisa had an affair with (and a baby by) Ellen's stepfather, Michael Shea. The affair turned Claire into a suicidal lush and pretty much destroyed her. Ellen never forgave Lisa for what she did to her mother. 

I just wish that someone would have done something more intense with their relationship..Marland was the only one to touch it (in a video from the Willows era David and Ellen are chucking that Lisa wanted to open a wine bar in the basement (very forward thinking of Lisa and actually a foreshadowing of what was to come) and that "Whatever Lisa puts her mind to she can do..." like they were the best of friends. If someone had helped turn my mom into a drunken lush I would have it out for them forever..and with Ellen and Lisa under Marland it was just like they annoyed each other.

I really wish they had brought back "Chuckie" with his dad still alive (hey if James could do it) and the old past would come to the fore. Scott Eldridge was too boring but I am sure Marland would have made Chuckie as politely dull.  At least, when Ellen and Lisa are having the spat about letting Emily stay at Lisa's Ellen could have spit out..."I wont let the same thing happen to Emily that happened to my mother!"

7 hours ago, TVFAN1144 said:

She looks good in this hairstyle 

She looks great...and if you ever saw pictures of her husband when they were younger..he was handsome..and a doctor! Ole Ellen had something going on to keep that hottie!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
21 hours ago, Mitch said:

I really wish they had brought back "Chuckie" with his dad still alive (hey if James could do it) and the old past would come to the fore. Scott Eldridge was too boring but I am sure Marland would have made Chuckie as politely dull. 

 

I remember reading an interview with Fulton in 1992 after the Scott reveal. She mentioned that Marland had asked her about Chuckie's death and if it had happened offscreen. She told him "no", that the child's body and Lisa's grieving over the body had been portrayed onscreen.  So clearly Marland had considered bringing Chuckie back, but realized it would be a betrayal to the show's history. 

I agree about Scott being dull. When I first learned that Joe Breen had been cast as Scott, I was excited because of his great work on GL. But Scott (as written) was a wimpy sad sack who (obviously) had mother issues. Even back in 1992 it seemed very problematic that he should get sexually involved with his boss (Lucinda) and after that relationship ended, he moved right into a relationship with the doomed Neal. Then the actor began to physically change from his health issues -- and then he was replaced. And then Marland died.  Scott as a character (and as a long-lost brother to a core character) never caused the fireworks that he should have. And before any major correction could be made, Marland and the character were gone.  I liked the direction the new Scott took (as an unpredictable troublemaker portrayed by Doug Wert) but by then I had basically stopped watching the show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, MarlandFan said:

I remember reading an interview with Fulton in 1992 after the Scott reveal. She mentioned that Marland had asked her about Chuckie's death and if it had happened offscreen. She told him "no", that the child's body and Lisa's grieving over the body had been portrayed onscreen.  So clearly Marland had considered bringing Chuckie back, but realized it would be a betrayal to the show's history. 

I agree about Scott being dull. When I first learned that Joe Breen had been cast as Scott, I was excited because of his great work on GL. But Scott (as written) was a wimpy sad sack who (obviously) had mother issues. Even back in 1992 it seemed very problematic that he should get sexually involved with his boss (Lucinda) and after that relationship ended, he moved right into a relationship with the doomed Neal. Then the actor began to physically change from his health issues -- and then he was replaced. And then Marland died.  Scott as a character (and as a long-lost brother to a core character) never caused the fireworks that he should have. And before any major correction could be made, Marland and the character were gone.  I liked the direction the new Scott took (as an unpredictable troublemaker portrayed by Doug Wert) but by then I had basically stopped watching the show.

Yes, he asked her about Chuckie and Fulton said..."Nancy Hughes buried him, and whoever Nancy Hughes buries stays dead!" (if only other writers would listen to their actors like that.) However, I think their was wiggle room, and would have loved for Lisa's bad girl days would come back to haunt her. I always wanted the Dr. Shea history to be revisited as it must have been something..Lisa, Nancy Hughes pet, tearing apart her best friends marriage...

Yea, I cannot believe that a long lost son of Lisa' s could be so damn boring. I knew when we had this 30 something guy in a sweater living at home and saying "Grandmother" that it was already on the wrong path. I did like Wert's version (and his pecs) but it came at a bad time for the show and was not his fault. Like Reva, Lisa should have been confronted with a male version of herself on steroids...(well, not as loud as Jonathon I hope) and there we just got a bit of a younger version of Holmes Tom.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I remember Scott was paired 1st with Connor..but I can't recall what caused them to break up.  

I did think Scott and Lucinda had loads of potential..with Lucinda and Lisa not being keen on one another.

And I do remember Ellen still had presence until the mid 90s.  She seemed to be a mother hen to Courtney, Rod/Josh, etc...which made sense since she didn't have a strong foundation with her mom.

And I do think instead of bringing back Dani in the 90s, one of Annie's kids could have stayed with her in the mid 90s..and been the 3rd wheel with Nikki/Ryder.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

This is one of the better hosted podcasts interviewing someone from the world of daytime drama, but time stamps would be a worthwhile addition as these podcasts tend to run long.

Bryce is interesting in general, but he really got my attention when he begins to describe his final appearance on ATWT and how he hadn't realized how badly things had deteriorated on the show until he was there.

 

https://youtu.be/RulOS2v1tRk

Welp, it can't be embedded. Sorry, just got to follow the link.

Some of these podcast hosts are so bad at promotion of their program, no wonder their view counts are so low!

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Grammatical and spelling errors. Hey, it was super duper late when I wrote this!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy