As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Rosemary Prinz's had a great interview, Louise Shaffer had a great interview, Sharon Gabet's 2 interviews were great,and finally Susie Pratt totally took over.

I think if the guest is strong willed, the interview will be good because they run the interview...and he just follows along.

Eileen is pretty vocal (her Emmy foundation interview says as much)..so I'm hoping she has her wits about her.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In the late 90s, I attended an ATWT discussion panel at the Paley Center in NYC. Of the nine cast members present, Fulton, Byrne, and Zenk were the most effusive and enthusiastic. All three ladies connected with the audience and were 100% happy to be there.  I look forward to Eileen's interview.

• Members

There have been some who have been critical of her acting choices, casting them as being OTT at times, while seemingly forgetting that a director can influence those same acting choices. 

Maybe there were other daytime soaps that had menopause storylines but Lisa's was the first and only one that I remember (I was in elementary school at the time it originally aired, I admit) and it seemed fairly detailed and vivid. In fact, it may have been during a conversation between Lisa and Nancy, where Lisa stated that she refused to take any of those drugs, which would turn out to be prescient since, decades later, it was discovered that there was a link between Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and certain types of cancers in women. Looking back on those scenes made me wonder if that piece of the dialogue was personal to Eileen or was there some deeper research involved.

In any case, I thought Fulton shined in these episodes, which is why I posted at least one. I wish there weren't so many missing episodes on YouTube for August and September 1986, in particular, as I think Lisa was very active in storyline during this particular period.

• Members

This episode not only showcases Eileen Fulton's "on-target" performance during the menopause storyline -- it's also an example of how perfect the 1986/87 years were for ATWT.  I'm so grateful to those many fans who kept their VCRs running so that we can still watch this amazing show today.

• Members

Too bad P&G just doesn't care about these shows, not the fans who supported their products and their programming for half a century.

I have been watching The Bold and The Beautiful, From The Beginning and they basically proved what I have been saying for quite some time now: music rights are not the issue as to why we're not seeing classic episodes from ATWT's available catalog( '1979-), nor have they ever been.

B&B streamed (which I had been suggesting ATWT do, rather than selling DVDs, which could easily run afoul of copyright laws) episodes, which includes highly popular songs from Janet Jackson and, wait for it... Whitney Houston!

So guess what, it is possible, as I have said, more than a few times.

As long as I'm going out on a limb, my theory is that previous episodes of ATWT that have gotten pulled from YouTube were more likely due to other so-called "fans" of the soap, who are carrying out their petty grudges with other fan accounts on that platform as they believe they own these shows because they posted first and want all the views and clicks reserved for their own channel(s). I don't understand this either, since the only entity who actually has intellectual property rights to these episodes clearly could care less. But go awff.

Some fans indeed deserve our gratitude, while others, I suspect may be the reason why we are not seeing even more episodes up on YouTube.

• Members

This was the peak of the Marland years...we hadn't yet gone full depressing and didn't spend all our time on the farm and there was still some camp and fun to be had. Love the Nancy/Lisa scene...a rarity to find some actual warmth amidst the Marland frost.  The direction was great also..despite the upper class pearls and dresses for dinner, it seemed real as people were having every day background conversations..(love Andy talking in the background as they exit...) Though Oakdale's politeness is in full force...how the hell does Kim know if Mama Snyder is a good catch for John or that Earl Mitchell is a good man..and Bob is downright mean in his joke but Lisa has to blame it on her menopause that she took offense? I would say this year is the perfect soap.

• Members

Whitney Houston, for reasons that seem inexplicable, is trending. She was mentioned upthread in my post, lol.

It's a crying shame that so many key episodes are missing from YouTube. Every single episode from 1986-1987 should be up there, at the very least. It's a damned shame that they're not.

• Members

@Soapsuds mentioned Dylan Bruce who played Chris Hughes in the "Where Are They Now?" thread, which reminded me of a question that came to mind yesterday, with all this talk of Eileen Fulton and Lisa: Was Lisa active in Chris's life when he became an adult? I know that she was his godmother. As many of you may know, my viewing became sparse by the late 90s (and ultimately, dropped off in subsequent years afterward), so I really don't remember Lisa having a very close relationship with Chris, but perhaps someone else paid more attention during that final stretch of the series.

• Members

Lisa was more of an active presence in Casey's life..and Lien's life (during the periods she was on show).  Plus, was active in Parker's life as well.

I don't recall much presence in Chris' life.  After 2000, Lisa lost presence on the show..and even didn't interact as much with Kim, Barbara,  or even trade barbs as much with Lucinda.

It was a nice treat to see all the women in the 50th anniversary episode interacting.  Barbara/Lucinda being frienimie, Lisa throwing shade at Lucinda while staying close to Nancy at the campfire..while Susan/Kim had a scene where the two talked about the Bob affair.

While it was nice seeing Emma interacting someone off that yucky farm

• Members

Good episode.  I forget Meg was faking her pregnancy?   Was Dusty drunk?

Same Marland plot different names.  Girl from wrong side of tracks (Bobbie, Nola, Meg) either sleeps with or makes stud (Scotty, Kelly, Dusty) believe it happened in order to break up with privileged girlfriend (Laura, Morgan, Lily)

• Members

No, just lonely (from being isolated on that ranch in New Mexico) and stressed out. Of course, Meg was willing to do whatever it took to "alleviate" Dusty's stress, especially if it meant driving a permanent wedge between Dusty and Lily.

It's odd, considering the tight bond Lisa had with Kim and Bob that she wouldn't have that with Chris, especially since Lisa was known for easily bonding with the young adults in town.

It's sad when history is forgotten.

It's what I appreciate when seeing that 1986 episode where Bob throws in that barb about Lisa taking motherhood so casually and Bob's contrite demeanor once he sees how wounded Lisa is by his words. That history was deftly inserted in that scene, just for a moment.

One of the things I appreciated about ATWT the most when it was really good were those subtleties. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

https://soaphub.com/young-restless/as-the-world-turns-star-eileen-fulton-guests-on-the-locher-room/amp/

ATWT Star Eileen Fulton Is Doing The Locher Room

Now, Fulton is set to entertain soap fans once more when she appears on The Locher Room this Friday, November 5, at 3 pm EST / 12 pm PST. Alan Locher, former head of Procter & Gamble publicity, created The Locher Room last year during the pandemic, enabling soap fans to connect with their favorite Daytime TV stars.

“Ever since I started hosting The Locher Room, daytime fans have been asking me to find Eileen,” Locher tells Soap Hub, previewing Friday’s anticipated chat. “All my numbers for Eileen no longer worked as she had moved back to her home state of North Carolina. Chip Capelli, who ran the ATWT fan club, had her number and reconnected us. The minute we connected, Eileen said, ‘Yes.'”