Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'd half-forgotten Mike (with his very very professionally styled hair by this point - what would Alexander Cabot have said) was still around. Not much longer for him.

The Holden and Lucinda scenes weren't too bad. I liked that they were forced to have actual conversations. FMB made two good decisions with Holden - bringing his memory back (even if it wasn't technically possible - who cares, it's not real life) and mending his relationship with Lucinda. Lucinda prattling away is a little annoying, but amuses me and helps pass through such silly ideas like electro-wiring the door. I remember Hubbard saying she wanted to ad-lib a line about how Lucinda had managed to use the bathroom, but FMB said no. Hubbard put up with such mediocre writing for so many years that I always wonder just how bad it got with FMB that this was the one time Hubbard truly had enough and quit.

I remember a lot of fan debate over whether the show was doing the "redeemed by rape" or "punishment" stories for Emily, and whether this was acceptable. How far we've fallen in daytime where this type of scene would today likely be done as a joke or as something "hot." I didn't care for this story all that much, and I thought this era played up the histrionic nature of KMH's Emily way too much, but this was a strong performance from her, and a good way to show people just how evil Diego truly was.

Even with the depleted Hughes clan, the scenes are very moving, especially Don Hastings' performance. I guess it helps that this was one of the first times Kim ever had a health crisis. At least they remembered Andy, and brought him back for Kim's next health crisis.

Ryder wandering around with that huge envelope amuses me. Ryder was...well, he was there. I wish they'd had him open it and it turns out it was Publisher's Clearinghouse.

It's nice to see a little of John's concern for Kim and his unease about his ability. I'd forgotten how the soaps at this time felt the big need to compete with ER so we started getting all the surgery scenes.

Larry B was such an understated actor.

John/Barbara was one of those pairings that always baffled me, but for family conflict, it worked. I wish they'd let their baby live - imagine the drama.

I was shaking my head when Lisa said well within earshot of Christopher that Bob must think Kim was going to die. Oh Lisa...always tactless...

This time period was supposed to be a big revival for ATWT. The ratings had briefly risen and there was some buzz. Ultimately it fizzled, and at this time I was so sour over Allyson Rice-Taylor's firing that I couldn't get as invested as I may have wanted to, but at least they were trying. Goodness knows Goutman never did by the last years.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Second episode

Soapcentral has AR-T being gone before this point. I didn't think that was quite right, and it wasn't. I think her last may be with Kirk around the time Diego is killed. They're in the Kasnoff house. Then Susan Batten shows up the next day wearing the same clothes.

KMH did a good job with playing Emily's shock (and the music in that first scene at her mother's house is also a good choice)...until it gets to her ripping off her blouse and splashing water on herself. I know what the idea was supposed to be, but it just feels exploitive.

Lucinda's password is SHAWL? And her screenname is WWW? I find that hard to believe...then again no one in Lucinda's entourage seemed all that technologically adept.

The shakycam works in the scenes where Bob sees John coming out of surgery. In the office scene it reminds me too much of The City and those last few years of GL that were, as some fans said at the time, more like Hostel than soap.

Don Hastings again does a great job here, especially when he breaks down to Tom. What a terrific, underrated actor, time and time again.

I must say I can't see Kim ever making kites and flying kites. Telling someone to go fly a kite - yes.

Barbara saying "kiddo" made me smile.

That Mark/Connor scene is like attack of the expository dialogue.

Again the Lucinda/Holden scenes were quite good, especially when they actually talked, which they'd never done throughout the years. Good writing and acting all around.

Diego getting shocked was hilarious.

• Members

Margaret Reed, or someone running a Youtube channel for her, put up 2 hours of summer 1985-February or March 1986 material. Some of it, especially the later stuff, was already online, but much of it wasn't. Interesting to see her earlier, more aloof persona, and her earlier relationship with Brian, when he played games with her and wasn't Dudley Doright. And I never even knew she was briefly trying to be an aerobics instructor.

Marland was right about Brian McCall - he doesn't work.

Brian Bloom was right about Marland - Dusty was a more interesting, likeable character before his writing kicked in.

It's nice to see more of this time period. I loved Shannon so much years ago. I haven't as much in rewatching, but some of these things do remind me of why I cared.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I didn't like Brian, but then, I never liked the actor who played him in anything he did. What happened to the first actor who played him, I thought he was better. Also, I heard that before Whit was brought on that Lisa was supposed to come back from Europe having an affair with a younger man, and that would be Brian. Were they going for a triangle with he and his dad, or was Whit created later?

Brian Bloom was just sour grapes that his young stud status had to be shared with the new beef in town. I think he was much like the Steve actor in that the past regime filled their heads wtih him being the "stars," of the show or at least the draws and they didn't like the Marland ensemble feel.