As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Toward the end of this article, it sounds as if Don was a bit disappointed in how a few of the storylines in the 90s ended, seems like some of the stories were cut short, maybe because of fear of backlash. He ends the article on a hopeful note but it sort of puts the onus on Felicia Minei Behr, when he says 'I'm told' that there is a good story coming up, that means, if it's not good complain to her y'all (LOL).

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bob could have been a more vital character had Frannie and her kids been on the canvas along with Rick Ryan,Kristina Hughes etc.It's much easier to include vets when they have those connections.

But there was never much interest in the latter years.Many opportunities to include the vets were ignored.

• Members

Considering how little airtime Emma got, I'm not sure it would have made a difference having kids on canvas.

The most interesting part for me was his talking about the Kim/Bob/Susan story being "aborted." I wonder if they'd planned for Bob and Susan to have more of a real relationship, and to play around with Kim/John.

• Members

Well, I think daytime in general pushed older characters into the "advice giver" box. It wouldn't have mattered how many kids he had on-screen.

When was the affair? I find it a little hard to believe that story wasn't "fleshed out" enough. Marland was still writing it, wasn't he? I guess on some level maybe the thought was you couldn't have Bob and Susan running around town banging under Kim's nose, but I'm not sure you could have ever believably had Bob and Susan fall in love either.

• Members

I think the exception to the rule was Douglass Watson as Mac Cory on AW, who was still front-burner when he unexpectedly passed away in the spring of 1989 at age 68. He was still the male centerpiece of AW. Now, had he lived, who knows how long that would have lasted, especially when (shudder) JFP took the reins. Still, he showed that viewers - including the ones in the coveted young demographics - enjoyed watching the older, seasoned characters and the actors who played them. Too bad the knuckleheads in charge still don't get it (or more likely, just don't care), stuffing Barbies and himbos down our throats. ATWT had plenty of actors who were on the show for many years and could have carried story until the very end.

• Members

Around 1990, I believe. From what I read it seemed as though viewer backlash factored into the 'aborted' storyline of the affair, Don Hastings said as much. I think it had to do with the fact that many viewers probably didn't want Bob to seem conflicted where his romantic feelings were as it related to Kim. People probably wanted Bob & Kim to be the stalwart couple, and this probably cut the possibilities for that storyline.

I definitely think that Rick Ryan would have opened possibilities up for not only Bob, but John, Barbara, Paul and even Hal. Some of you probably know my feelings on that (that Hunt Block would've been a much better fit for Rick Ryan than Craig Montgomery).

Don Hastings stories really diminished the last 15 years or so of the show. As a doctor, I think he could've been utilized as more than the sage adviser to the young. If ATWT actually had bother to do proper medical stories, he could have been more vital.

• Members

Actually, I thought Bob and Kim were the center of the show right up to the very end. I think that they both provided a more vital role then Chris and Nancy did post 79...as they both kept working, and werent regulated to just serving coffee. True, their airtime was cut down but they never disappeared for months at a time like Lisa. I also don't really want to see Bob or Kim having affairs, Plus, if you compare them to what GL did to the Bauers and their older people.

I agree that not expanding the Hughes family was stupid. Bringing back Frannie and Sabrina (played by different actresses please) and having Sabrina be the problem member of the family (it was getting old having Babs be the pain in the ass all the time.)

My main complaint was that damn pink suit they had poor Kathy Hays wear day in and day out. This is well to do woman, and that is all she has?