As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't get the feeling that anything with Bob and Susan was planned that early on (she seemed to be somewhat hard and bitter when she returned, sort of in the peanut gallery, like John), but I don't know.

This story is so tragic - she finds a good man and yet she still can't beat her demons.

I'd love to see some of her 70s work as Susan too. I don't know what the early 80s writers would have done to her, but I wish she'd stayed longer. I guess the show had a glut of actresses in that age range, and they defined her by Dan and her alcoholism, so they didn't see a need for her, but she would have been a real asset.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Carl, I think you are correct on Susan. I guess I was thinking along the line of, whether Marland was sufficiently impressed already with Marie Masters' performances in the handful episodes in 1986 (he must have been) that he wanted to keep her on canvas as a catalyst for more substantial stories where she could be the lead, i.e. other than just Emily's Mom. I'd agree that the seed germinating the story of Bob's affair with Susan was most likely not in the same vein as Lily's parentage, i.e. by creating Iva, Marland would've already sketched out most of all that complicated background stories that played out for years. I did watch the show live in 1986 and I would say that episodes involving Susan were still sporadic in spurts that summer and fall and she really wasn't a "regular" character until the following year, at the earliest, though each performance was stunning--her scenes with Pat Bruder (Ellen) were so to-the-gut visceral.

As to what writers could've done with Susan in the early 80s, I do wonder if Bridget Dobson could plan something for her, had she still been on the canvas. I'm thinking of all those intriguing, complicated women on GL, e.g. Elizabeth, Jackie, Rita, etc.

Edited by Limenade

• Members

Poor Margo.

The whole story with Duncan/Shannon/Brian is just so silly, it's tough to care. Brian hissing about how Duncan is "blowing up bridges" - bad dialogue.

I'm glad they decided to keep Casey and Frannie as friends. They work so much better this way.

That Iva/Seth scene was gutwrenching. I'd never seen the moment where she told Seth some of the details. Phenomenal performance from Lisa Brown. Such shame and pain.

Lucinda's scheming, especially the story to make the Snyders look like poor trash she's going to deign to visit, is delicious fun in comparison. I can see why Lucinda was such a fan favorite at the time - she's a bright spark in often somber (and as the years passed under Marland, increasingly somber) plotlines.

• Members

Y'know, those scenes reminded me why I loved Scott Bryce and Craig so much.

Obviously, this is at a point where none of the Snyders know Lily is Iva's daughter or Josh isn't their cousin or the fact it was rape. Marland was always a master of drawing out the story in a believable way. Seth somehow found out about the pregnancy, but Iva's still hiding details until she can't avoid spilling some more. I always loved how protective the Snyder boys were over Iva where Josh was concerned.

Is Tad dead at this point?

• Members

A look back at ATWT actors at the Daytime Emmys.

Winners

1984: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor), Justin Deas (Supporting Actor)

1985: Brian Bloom (Younger Actor)

1986: John Wesley Shipp (Supporting Actor)

1987: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor), Gregg Marx (Supporting Actor), Martha Byrne (Younger Actress)

1988: Julianne Moore (Younger Actress)

1990: Andrew Kavovit (Younger Actor)

2001: Martha Byrne (Lead Actress), Lesli Kay (Supporting Actress)

2003: Benjamin Hendrickson (Supporting Actor)

2004: Cady McClain (Supporting Actress)

2006: Jennifer Landon (Younger Actress)

2007: Maura West (Lead Actress), Jennifer Landon (Younger Actress)

2008: Jennifer Landon (Younger Actress)

2010: Michael Park (Lead Actor), Maura West (Lead Actress), Julie Pinson (Supporting Actress)

2011: Michael Park (Lead Actor)

Nominees

1981: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor), Henderson Forsythe (Lead Actor), Justin Deas (Supporting Actor)

1982: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor)

1985: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor)

1986: Scott Bryce (Lead Actor), Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor), Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Gregg Marx (Supporting Actor), Kathleen Widdoes (Supporting Actress), Brian Bloom (Younger Actor), Jon Hensley (Younger Actor), Martha Byrne (Younger Actress)

1987: Scott Bryce (Lead Actor), Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Lisa Brown (Supporting Actress), Kathleen Widdoes (Supporting Actress), Brian Bloom (Younger Actor), Jon Hensley (Younger Actor)

1988: Larry Bryggmann (Lead Actor), Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Lisa Brown (Supporting Actress), Eileen Fulton (Supporting Actress), Scott DeFreitas (Younger Actor), Andrew Kavovit (Younger Actor)

1989: Larry Bryggman (Lead Actor), Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Andrew Kavovit (Younger Actor), Martha Byrne (Younger Actress)

1990: Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress)

1991: Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Kathleen Widdoes (Supporting Actress), Andrew Kavovit (Younger Actor)

1992: Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress), Scott DeFreitas (Younger Actor)

1993: Ellen Dolan (Lead Actress)

1994: Kathleen Widdoes (Lead Actress), Patrick Tovatt (Supporting Actor), Scott DeFreitas (Younger Actor), Martha Byrne (Younger Actress)

1995: Jason Biggs (Younger Actor)

1996: Martha Byrne (Younger Actress)

1999: Elizabeth Hubbard (Lead Actress)

2001: Tom Eplin (Lead Actor), Jon Hensley (Lead Actor), Hunt Block (Supporting Actor), Benjamin Hendrickson (Supporting Actor), Michael Park (Supporting Actor), Maura West (Supporting Actress), Colleen Zenk (Supporting Actress), Paul Taylor (Younger Actor), Terri Conn (Younger Actress), Annie Parisse (Younger Actress), Kristina Sisco (Younger Actress)

2002: Hunt Block (Lead Actor), Martha Byrne (Lead Actress), Colleen Zenk (Lead Actress), Benjamin Hendrickson (Supporting Actor), Paul Leyden (Supporting Actor), Kelley Menighan Hensley (Supporting Actress), Maura West (Supporting Actress), Kristina Sisco (Younger Actress)

2003: Cady McClain (Supporting Actress)

2004: Maura West (Lead Actress), Agim Kaba (Younger Actor)

2005: Roger Howard (Lead Actor), Martha Byrne (Lead Actress), Jennifer Ferrin (Younger Actress)

2006: Trent Dawson (Supporting Actor), Grayson McCouch (Supporting Actor), Jennifer Ferrin (Supporting Actress), Jesse Soffer (Younger Actor)

2007: Michael Park (Lead Actor), Trent Dawson (Supporting Actor), Van Hansis (Younger Actor), Jesse Soffer (Younger Actor), Alexandra Chando (Younger Actress)

2008: Maura West (Lead Actress), Trent Dawson (Supporting Actor), Kelley Menighan Hensley (Supporting Actress), Van Hansis (Younger Actor), Jesse Soffer (Younger Actor),

2009: Maura West (Lead Actress), Van Hansis (Supporting Actor), Meredith Hagner (Younger Actress)

2010: Marnie Schulenberg (Younger Actress)

2011: Colleen Zenk (Lead Actress), Julie Pinson (Supporting Actress)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah I remember Brian getting jailed for punching out the photographer as shown lol. This promo aired during GL's awkward Bert Bauer memorial.

Tragically, Hendrickson was actually off the show at the point he won his Emmy during Randolph Mantooth's first go around as Hal due to the death of his mother who was living with him when she passed.

• Members

I loved that restaurant bedlam episode. Yes, I know it was zany and bordering on camp but there's camp and then there's camp. ATWT's camp was nowhere near the camp of some of the other soaps that I've seen-- at least not until the HS regime.

But those restaurant scenes were such fun especially because it wasn't the type of thing you'd see often on ATWT at that time.