Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Looking at the article's date 1999, I'd have to disagree with the author's final paragraph. As much as ATWT was/is my favorite soap, how could anyone think that in '99 ATWT had a shot at taking the top spot from Y&R?! The show would have had a better chance 10 years prior. By 1999, the writing was disjointed and discombobulated with quite a few characters (e.g Eddie) that I really didn't care about. Maybe it's just me that felt that way.

• Members

Well I guess the article is trying to be cheery. It's poorly written in general. "dangles the carrot in front of us instead of shoving it down our throats" produces some unfortunate mental images.

I didn't know so many of the one-year wonders on ATWT at that point had been in a cast photo. Seeing Valerie Perrine in a cast photo is odd.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Uh...I don't think '99 ATWT was as bad as all of that. But considering Broderick was probably fired by the time the next issue came out, it's ironic.

Two questions. Who's the guy behind Hal? Kirk? and who's standing between Kim and Bob? FMB? Broderick?

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I thought the show was disjointed and way too focused on the wrong characters (and wrote them in a bizarre manner that almost seemed designed to make fans hate them). FMB's issues with Liz Hubbard bothered me a lot too. I guess they could have been worse - Goutman. It's a shame, because with a better producer, and P&G being more supportive, Broderick might have been decent.

That's FMB with Hastings and Hays.

The guy behind Hal is Alec, Eddie's father. Michael Woods.

• Members

During the Marland years, I kept thinking how big the cast was. In every episode you really had a community feeling. In most scenes many characters passed by, saying few or more lines...and in the emotional scenes, of course much quieter. I didnt think of anyone being on frontburner more than others. Also, some recurring characters could come back in all of a sudden after a long while.

• Members

ATWT camera crew perfected the art of that roving camera. I loved how it would track certain characters and as it would move on to another character(s), you'd hear snippets of conversation in the meantime before settling onto other characters. This was really effective in scenes with multiple characters in the same space, like the Mona Lisa or the hospital cafeteria or even the Hughes' living room. I really only remember this being done during the 80s.

I've read a few grumblings about the Snyders monopolizing storyline during the Marland tenure and he seemed to love writing for Lisa Brown, in particular so I can understand where some of the grumbling might come from especially from people who were not fans of the Snyders but I thought the writing was spread among quite a few characters, especially in the mid to late '80s. It certainly was more diverse than the last 10-15 years of the show where seemingly the same characters occupied the majority of the story time.

• Members

IA. Moreover, you never needed to question so-and-so's decisions or actions, b/c Marland provided the motivation necessary to understand why he or she would do whatever they would do. Conversely, there were times during Hogan Sheffer and Jean Passanante's tenures where I would watch and then say to myself, "No one would EVER behave that way unless they were clinically insane."

• Members

Okay, I've gotten thoroughly re-hooked on watching ATWT through all these dang You Tube clips!tongue.png

I'm gonna need for AstheWorldStillTurns to upload some more August 1986 episodes because now I'm like an addict, I need more! Barbara is on the verge of being confronted by Tom and I think, Margo for her fake seduction and fake illicit ONS with Tom. And her real affair with Tonio, I need to see the big reveal of that too. And where's Steve?!