As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't think the Dobson's were horrible, just probably not a great fit for the show.

At the same time, it all depends on what type of tone one enjoys. For me, I found good stuff with Marland, but I think he was also over-rated at the same time. Plus, the Dobson's were known for quirky characters and off the wall stories.. which seemed to fit GL and SB.. just not ATWT.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree. I think the main thing is that they really tossed out that " close family feeling," that the show had for so long. Everyone was connected to everyone else, etc. That didnt come back until they left. I think that the show could have managed the camp, adventure and cartoonishness of the Dobsons if they had kept that family thing going. A LOT of Marland was camp...Duncan moving an entire castle with secret passages to midwestern Oakdale? The "ghost" monks of the castle, the real "ghost," of the castle, Lillith, the shrunken head of annoying Shannon (come to think of it most of the camp was surrounding that dumb castle..) but it was okay as the family background was intact.

• Members

This looks like the start of the Dobson's with Nick, the bookstore burndown, and Barbara making mysterious visits. When do the Dobson's start to dismantle the structure?

Interesting that Annie and Barbara are roommates and friends. It would have been interesting to have seen Annie's reaction to Barbara and Emily's feud. Though I agree that the character was played out by the time she left in 1984, though I think Dee could have survived long-term if this Dee had stayed on instead of being recast by a more boring actress.

• Members

Duncan/Shannon had their roots in pure gothic romance, not camp. I'm not denying Marland had his farcical moments, (aaah, my wee lassie," as Duncan holds Shannon's tennis-ball head..) but he was much more rooted in emotion than slapstick.

• Members

Before Zoey Deschanel, there was Shannon O'Hara. Shannon was quirky before it became a 'thing'.

I actually have a question about camp vs. broad humor.

To me, something can't qualify as true camp if it is only regulated to one or two characters, unless they are the only two characters on the whole show. To me, the majority of the show has to be zany enough to qualify as true camp. An obvious example would be Passions.

As The World Turns had zany elements and Shannon was a zany character but I wouldn't say that qualifies as camp in the true sense of the word.

Maybe that's just me...what do others think?

• Members

It depends on the material. I'd say a lot of Shannon's run could qualify as zany, but her dunking Barbara's head in the toilet was pure camp. Actually most of Barbara in 1986 was camp, camp, camp, probably the gayest thing Doug Marland ever wrote. (Lucinda was the same way - she toned down a lot once they put her with John, but 1986 was diva drag histrionics).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Marcy and Tess.

Earl Mitchell was very campy, although that's mostly from Farley Granger's queening.

A lot of other side characters/short-term characters too, like that ridiculous daughter of Jared Carpenter's.

And of course the divine Lilith, who was camp personified.

Edited by DRW50