As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks to AsTheWorldStillTurns, I finally got to see the episode where Shannon dunks Babs' head in the toilet (lol)! I have truly forgotten what went on in many of these episodes so it's great to see again and refresh my memory! And honestly, I probably missed some episodes when they originally aired. So much going on back then.

I really need to see the episode where Barbara gets outed for her non-ONS with Tom and her affair with Tonio. I'm hoping those will be uploaded at some point.

Lily was a brat back then too DRW50 (lol). Holden was really manipulative back then (I remember being annoyed by his games as a kid) and so was Meg. I think Dusty was the only one who didn't play games but he was genuinely confused.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I am so confused. I watched ATWT in the early and mid 80s as a young child with Mom and Grandmother, before becoming a full fledged OLTL fan in my teens. I am trying to reconstruct some stuff in my mind, and reading this thread has helped.

First of all, I did not realize the Dobsons were loathed. In my mind, the early 80s are a popular time for ATWT, but were they hated at the time? I know it's more difficult to say as this was long before the 'net. Were they the ones responsible for centering the show around John, Dee, James, and Barbara? I feel like there was an early 80s period when you only saw those four characters. And wasn't John Dixon super creepy then, coming back from the dead in a weird costume? I remember it as scary, but maybe it was comical if you were an adult?

Skipping ahead a few years to when James returned from the dead in the castle. Was that scene shocking in a spoiler free era, or had loyal viewers seen it coming for weeks?

Speaking of James, as an adult I can see how sexy he was. Did he ever do shirtless scenes?

And finally: did Marcia Talbot kidnap Frannie in 1985 or 86, and when did Marland take over from Dobsons?

Thank you!

Edited by 2shane8

• Members

I don't know if the Dobson's were universally loathed, but they changed the show quickly (I don't think for the better myself) and a lot of people left, (Helen Wagner, Eileen Fulton) during their time. They obscured the Hughes and basically shoved wrote Chris and Nancy in a corner. They DID focus on their favorites which were James, Barbara, John, Dee, Tom, Margo and Betsy and Steve. The group scenes that Marland would become famous for and I think defined ATWT during his reign, were not done, and it was just two characters standing talking endlesslu (Marlands plots dragged out longer but it didnt seem so as "everyone," was involved..) So your enjoyment of the show was based on how well you liked those characters.

I think the main thing is that the show really lost that "family feeling," (the Montgomery were not the Hughes family) and wrote the show more like a frothy popular novel. Not that this was all bad...some of it was very entertaining, but it just wasn't ATWT. And they could have done all that without shoving Nancy and Chris aside, etc. Their second run was much better then their first, which was kind of depressing with rape, David Stewart yelling at John,etc. But even the second run the characters were so cartoony, with James rubbing his hands together as he plotted another ridiculous scheme, (did he ever go to work) John conspiring against him, Betsy acting slightly retarded...Craig having kind of creepy sex things going on, etc. Yes, they wrote the John coming back from the dead and he did have a costume on in the courtroom..it was actually quite good before spoilers...

James "Hello Barbara," scene is iconic because it WAS so suprising. I was in the campus center in a TV lounge when it happened and people were SCREAMING. Had to be the best Friday cliffhanger ever. James never did a shirtless scene they always had him in the same beige jacket..which was weird, he was supposed to be rich. Marland changed that.

Marland didnt take over for the writers. There were interim writers in between who didn get the credit they deserved for restearing the ship back to the Hughes family, with Kim and Bob getting together, and Nancy and Chris coming back, etc.

• Members

Thanks, guys! Yes, I was mistaken about Marland taking over from Dobsons. I checked Soap Opera Encyclopedia, and there were like three sets of writers between them and Marland, including SBH.

I don't remember Frannie and Kim being kidnapped together. I only remember Frannie being taken to a cabin by Marcia who had disguised herself as a cop, and I thought this was in the summer, so I missed most of the Doug storyline as it was during the school year. So 1986, thank you!

And that sounds so amazing about watching James return from the dead in a campus center with a bunch of surprised fans; soaps were really something before spoilers!

Edited by 2shane8

• Members

Not only did they succeed in surprising the viewers, they surprised the cast. I know CZ has told the story about how secret they were---I don't quite remember all the details, but basically the set was shut down except for her and a bare-bones essential personnel. I'm not even sure she knew he was under that monk's robe until he revealed himself. I need to find that story.

Anyhow, about the Dobsons---y'know, it's the era. They were a radical departure from what ATWT was. I think it was the fact they were copying the GH/IcePrincess mode drama that rankled. I don't remember a lot from that time, but I know they went to pretty ridiculous lengths. I remember the 1800's costume-y Babs hallucinations were she "met" Gunnar and the endless "what is Bilan?" mystery. It was too much camp, too fast. I'd argue the core of ATWT just didn't like, want or need camp EVER. I remember cringing through a lot of the last ten years through crap like the Keys to the Kingdom contest, the teen college tour, Rick Decker, etc, because that's not what what I wanted or where ATWT was ever really successful at. (Camp being different from humor..)