September 20 - 24, 2010

Toups

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I found this information on how LMAD did on 9/30 v. ATWT on 9/16 in the Top 10 markets. (Even though these usually aren't where soaps do well, the numbers speak for themselves. Can only imagine the hit CBS took in "soap-centric" markets, like St. Louis, Charlotte, Indy, etc.) The post-ATWT Chicago numbers blew me away! Wow.

As The World Turns on 9/16

New York 1.1/4

Los Angeles 0.8/3

Chicago 1.1/4

Philadelphia 2.1/8

Dallas-Fort Worth 1.6/6

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose 0.5/2

Boston 1.1/5

Atlanta 1.9/6

Washington, D.C. 2.9/11

Houston 1.8/6

Let's Make a Deal (temporary replacing ATWT time slot) on 9/30/10

New York 1.0/3

Los Angeles 0.8/3

Chicago 0.2/1

Philadelphia 1.4/4

Dallas-Fort Worth 1.3/5

San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose 0.6/3

Boston 0.7/3

Atlanta 1.1/4

Washington, D.C. 1.9/7

Houston 2.3/8

Forgot the link: http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/722109423?r=797103523#797103523

ALSO: CBS FAIL!!!

• Members

As The World Turns on 9/16

Chicago 1.1/4

Philadelphia 2.1/8

Boston 1.1/5

Atlanta 1.9/6

Washington, D.C. 2.9/11

Let's Make a Deal (temporary replacing ATWT time slot) on 9/30/10

Chicago 0.2/1

Philadelphia 1.4/4

Boston 0.7/3

Atlanta 1.1/4

Washington, D.C. 1.9/7

Warms my heart.:)

• Members

I'm only going by 18-49 , that's what counts and if your in last place your in trouble.

AMC has to go up with the return of La Lucci or it's in deep who know what. TK didn't help last time so not sure if he will this time wound either?

Will DC&LH bring in enough new viewers to change anything?

I thought OLTl would get some ATWT fans , i really did.I think if Kish was still around quite a few Luke fans may have jumped to One Life. However that just a guess.

• Members

Soap fans don't switch. They just don't. They're brand loyal and when that brand is gone they leave. They didn't switch when Passions or GL died and they weren't going to switch now. There's absolutely nothing anywhere anyplace at anytime to support the notion that soap fans switch. Nothing. Can we PLEASE let go of this urban legend that soap viewers are soap fans first and tv viewers second? Please?! Sorry Southofnowhere, this isn't directed at you specifically but it's time to crush this fallacious belief that with every cancellation thousands of soap fans are thrown into a vegetative trance for an hour until they find a new source of sorasing and WTD drama.

As for AMC, Lucci's return won't bring in viewers because her leaving didn't cost any, not in any real quantity. The show wrote it as a vacation and did a good job of keeping her "on the canvas" with the Twitter and blog so everybody knew she was coming back, unlike David whose return is going to be a big honking surprise.

• Members

Why would that warm your heart? CBS is fully committed to The Talk and will be for the foreseeable future, whether it sucks or not. It took The View ten years to get to where it is.

And I have to be perfectly frank: all of this taunting and baiting you're doing in the Ratings and General Discussion threads is really annoying. Wishing cancellation on other shows won't bring your favorite back and I say this as someone who doesn't have a fanatical interest in any one soap opera. I don't even know why you waste your energy being angry at CBS/PGP/Goutman/"Pissy" for ATWT's cancellation. I think the last cancellation I was upset about was the discontinuation of the MyNetworkTV telenovelas and even that wasn't some hair pulling loss for me because it was coming down the turnpike. I think my reaction to Sunset Beach getting the axe was more healthy than the obsessive way you're going on and on about ATWT and I was like 15 when that happened.

It had a good, healthy 50+ run. The finale didn't end with a lameass gorilla, a cliffhanger, an ambiguous dream sequence, or with Tulsa trash driving off into the sunset. ATWT, as far as I'm concerned, went out in class. If I were a fan of the show, I'd rather have *that* than to see it renewed year after year to become a shell of its former self or witness PGP/CBS further cheapen and bastardize it.

• Members

After ATWT, I don't really watch soaps anymore. I definitely couldn't stomach a new one, at this point. As a longtime, loyal DAYS viewer, it's a shell (a VERRRRY DRY shell) of its former self, so I am resigned to reading what happens there on Soapcentral. At least, until something non-boring and non-stupid happens. The ratings don't surprise me, despite Cordays overzealous "the ratings WILL go up" banter.

Ive started re-watching the Queer As Folk series, and the YT Aremid storyline from DAYS. My *serialized dramatic fiction* fix has been solved.

• Members

Ditto the DAYS on YouTube... ever watch JohnnMarlena's channel? If you enjoyed the John/Marlena/Kristen story of 1995-1997, you'll love that channel... they're currently up to Spring of 1997 with "The Pillow Baby"... although my favorite eras are the Possession and Aremid. They've got every episode. Now if only they had Maison Blanche...

• Members

I don't really care about LMAD's ratings in the context of ATWT, but more in the context of CBS assuming cheaply produced, generic game shows will automatically be successful enough for a few extra bucks. It's a very cynical and depressing view of game shows and CBS has decimated TPIR under this format.

• Members

Wow! What a great post. I will watch The Talk. It's not THEIR fault ATWT was cancelled. Life goes on. I miss GL less than I ever thought I would. In hindsight, GL died so many years ago as did ATWT. I really thought Let's Make A Deal would tank, and it didn't which told me that GL just wasn't desirable for viewers. The View, as you pointed out, struggled for years before becoming a hit. If The Talk isn't a hit out of the gate, I can foresee everyone coming down on CBS but I'm sure that in the long run, whatever viewers The Talk gets will still save CBS money because it will be so much cheaper to produce.

Archived