September 20 - 24, 2010

Toups

• Members

I'm not busting on Tenn or any other state. The US census breaks all states down by income and then ranks them. As for cable, according to Abitron, only about 60 percent of the nation has cable. That was why so many people needed HD convert boxes for their televisions and the gov gave a rebate. My point was that people without cable have less viewing options.

Rux, you must live in a nice town if everyone can afford cable TV. That or you do not have a diverse pool of friends. I live in NYC and a lot of people can't keep up with a cable bill. I'm sure there are many smaller cities and towns where access to cable is not universal. I guess you lead a sheltered life, only have contact with people who have good incomes. Provided your city is normal, about 40 percent of your neighbors do not have cable.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I live in Manhattan and some people choose not to have a cable bill. I'm an RN, MSN and a staff nurse who I supervise who makes a hella good salary told me just today that she doesn't have cable. She uses that gov't issued box. So this falls under the diversity title. . Everyone simply doesn't feel the need to have it. On that note I love my DirectTV

• Members

Another reason why soaps have driven away droves of viewers. Guess what? We've all been educated enough over the past 30+ years that rape is about violence and NOT foreplay or a prelude to romance or a way to give a lesbian a child (that was the end of AMC for me -- Nuke and KISH fans can air their gripes, but that was the single most disgusting and offensive story ever involving a gay character).

• Members

Yeah, I live in Brooklyn and had my cable ripped out 4 years ago because it was never used. I'd flip on CNN for breaking news and, once in a while, watch repeats of Good Times on TV land. For some reason, Time Warner still gives me CSPAN, NY1 and TBS--guessing it is some sort of mistake. Aside from a few soaps, I've never been a TV person. PBS actually does some great stuff but no one ever seems to notice. Not having cable isn't just a money thing, granted, I love saving the cash. I just don't see the purpose of spending 50 bucks a month for the two or three show that might interest me. Also, the companies way overcharge for both cable and internet.

• Members

ATWT did not compete with Days therefore no link in ratings. I'm talking about ABC having no soaps to compete against for two hours. Days has a rough timeslot going up against AMC and Y&R so my guess it that it needs to work a lot harder than GH to maintain viewers.

I wonder how the new Web-based soaps are doing? Is there any way to get ratings or hits on them?

• Members

Actually cable companies had good profits last quarter, are you just speaking from opinionor do you have some facts to back up your statements. Will some viewers switch over probably, will some viewers find other things to do with their time probably whichever way it goes there will not be any substantial gains to any soap with the lose of ATWT.

If they can't make money off of them then no.

Archived