September 20 - 24, 2010

Toups

• Members
The View was always in at 11EST/10AM Central. Many affiliates chose to push the show into late-night for years.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened. I don't know why they feel the need to prolong doing this.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that if the time doesn't switch nationally, that they will go live on the west coast with O&O stations. The show tapes at 11AM live for a 2PM broadcast on the east coast.

Maria Bell will have no one to blame but herself. She pretty much gave Barbara Bloom and Margot Wain the big f*ck you to Miss Nellie of all people. You think Barbara Bloom's forgotten that easily? You think Maria's calmed her arrogant ass down? Doubtful on both parts.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because it's not about loving or hating OLTL or DAYS or soaps or the genre, it's about the realities of consumer behavior and the reality is viewers don't switch. There's nothing in the history of the genre to support the belief that they would, at least nothing I've seen. Maybe one of the many number crunchers we have on the board can set me straight: has there ever been an example of remaining soaps getting a noticeable, measurable boost from the cancellation of another soap? Even a temporary one?

You can love the genre all you want but last I checked, the Nielsens didn't count love.

• Members

So these "lazy" fans were supposed to stick around and watch the crap ATWT/GL put out in its last years?

The blame goes to PGP and the HW/EPs of both soaps. CBS, I have and never will blame they gave those shows way longer than they deserved.

• Members

The reason I posted the post-ATWT ratings was not that I want a show to fail, but only that I found it validating that a signifant number of people, even in these large markets (not traditional soap markets) tuned in for ATWT specifically. There is still an audience out there for soaps.

• Members

Daytime is different than primetime in that fans tend to stick woth one network. In the past, however, there are examples of viewers changing networks mid day and swapping one show for another. The rise of GH in the 1980's is a good case. I highly doubt viewers waited until 3pm to start soap watching meaning there must have been flux due to bizz. Also, during the GH rise, GL began to drop and fell out of the top five. This wasn't that Long after Pam Long rehabed the show and drive it into a first place finish. Also, OLTL and GH certainly stole viewers from CBS during the 1970's. I find it curious that SFT fans checked out the new CBS offerings and failed to follow the show to NBC. Lastly, the lack of NBC soap programming may be helping other soaps. Wow, the numbers would be even more scarey if there were more options.

• Members

You do realize that soaps were relevant and popular then. Here in 2010, I have met some people that are actually shocked that ANY soap is still on the air. Most of ATWT fans are not out there feigning for a daily soap fix like a crackhead. They haved moved on, I don't know what is going to take for you to get that. OLTL losing viewers during this ratings week should have proved it to you.

Archived