September 20 - 24, 2010

Toups

• Members

LMAD was never going to tank. It had very low expectations, because of the budget. The problem is the ratings and even the demos are lower than GL's, or were the last time I looked. That they actually have worse demos than GL is bewildering. My guess is if you put a good rerun in that slot it would actually not be far off from what LMAD is getting.

The Talk will have years to prove themselves, because Julie Chen is involved, but with that awful lineup of hosts I can't imagine them ever being a big success -- at best I could see them getting a bit less than ATWT, although they probably have a smaller production cost so it would even out. The ratings are irrelevant though. This is probably a vanity project.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YES!! I love that channel...ive actually been watching from 1991 (starting with the tale of two romans) for the past year from 86jams' channel, but now its closed. Luckily I managed to get through the playlists, and switched to JohnMarlenas channel. At the moment I'm in the middle of Aremid. I have to say, I have been so engaged in these clips, as if this was my first time watching it. I could watch these over and over, like Golden Girls repeats. It was that good. This definitely showcases a polarizing difference between soaps then and now.

• Members

As do I.

Especially when some overgrown emo fanboi/fangurl jumps all over me with the "Why do you even post?! You hate soaps and want to see them all canceled! Some of us love the genre! You don't belong here! Damn you to hell, you evil soap-hating bitch!!!" mess just because I believe in calling out the genre's failings.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all stuck to criticizing opposing opinions for the content of those opinions and not for the fact that someone had the "temerity" to post them?

ETA: the ignore function can do wonders towards keeping ones posting experience positive. I think it's wholly underutilized.

• Members

We are soap 'junkies' and who love our shows in a manner similiar to jocks who love certain sports teams. A hardcore Yanks fan hates the Mets but the average fan of baseball likes both teams. We all treat our fav soap like a team and trash rival shows. The casual soap viewer(the type who doesn't waste time in a soap chat) should be willing to pick up a remote and flip to another channel if they wish to continue watching soaps now that World is over. People don't stop watching the play offs just 'cause thier team lost. By this 'I'll only watch ATWT' logic, its like these people would have never been soap viewers had it not been for As the World Turns. I loved ATWT but have to say that all the soaps are somewhat similiar. Yes, each writer gives their show a certain tone, but all of the soaps have the same sort of character--the bitch, the hero, the anti-hero, ect. I think OLTL failure to pick up ATWT viewers speaks more to the death of the genre than anything else.

I watched a few episodes and do think the Fors bro suck the life out of the show. Also, Vicky needs a makeover. I haven't wanted any soap i one week. The end of the World gives me no reaaon to watch Y&R or Bold. Now, I either read or just play online. Maybe I'll check out Days which airs at 1pm here.

• Members
I don't disagree that CBS is taking a soulless, cheap "out" with producing LMAD instead of a better gameshow.

These ratings aren't even all that comparative in the grand scheme of things. IIRC, CBS is showing all new episodes of these shows in ATWT's timeslot(Y&R is the only one doing repeats, IIRC) and they have barely, if at all, been promoted. CBS should have just went in and immediately launched The Talk instead of giving this show a month to premiere.

The Talk will be a good trainwreck, if anything. I am looking forward to it as well.

This IS a vanity project in every sense of the word.

So was The View. The only way this show will ever likely get canned is if soaps make some sort of miraculous comeback or if Les Moonves is fired.

I'm not saying one shouldn't "hate" this or that, but to go on these silly diatribes about "HOW I WILL NEVER POST AT SON AGAIN" or "I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER SOAP AGAIN" or "PISSY KILLED ATWT" over and over again just becomes so redundant after awhile.

I'm not saying SoapSuds/Ruxton shouldn't be entitled to post the way he/she feels. But it almost seems as though he is just hijacking threads with this annoying "gloom and doom" attitude, precipitated not by knowledge of the shows he openly disses and criticizes, but rather by wanting others to be miserable because the show he enjoys was axed.

His thoughts on wanting the entire ABC lineup slaughtered are irrelevant considering that, probably, the only time he's ever seen OLTL was in Kish videos and shirtless hunk screencaps. And his dissing the ABC soaps in discussion threads only came when ATWT got the axe.

And I find the ignore function to be useless. I used it once and the person I was trying to ignore still came up in people's replies. What do I do? Hit the ignore function on the people that I actually want to read?

• Members

That's true, about The View also being a vanity project, but I think the idea was more original at that time (even if Virginia Graham and others had done this) and I think the initial hosts genuinely were a good lineup. I know that the show didn't become successful until later on but the foundation of the show was there, even if it was never great.

This just seems like such a random collection of loudmouths...no one like Meredith Viera as a balance (maybe that's supposed to be Sara Gilbert's role). I think it's a mistake to consider aping today's View, which I think is successful more because of nothing else on than because of twits who tell us the Earth is flat.

If this show goes I think it would be due to Moonves leaving or Julie wanting to move on. I don't even know what it would be replaced with. I really think within 5-10 years a lot of the daytime lineup will be reruns of primetime stuff or of old shows.

• Members

It gets way nasty in here and a lot of the posters remind me of sports fans who freak out after a game. At least most of those people are drunk and, therefore, have some excuse. If you love soaps, the genre, and your soap get cancelled, it seems pretty natural to check out a new show. I still don't get this 'why would a ATWT fan watch OLTL or Days?' That be would be like a Jets fan not watching the Superbowl if their team lost. I still think Pissy helped kill ATWT (bad writer) but, personally, don't think any writer has a good handle on where the genre should be in 2010. Maybe the soap should be shifting away from weddings and so many damn babies: only 34% of Gen X is even married and the majority of white X women don't have a first child till mid 30's. The genre is out of touch (lack of 'minority' characters speaks volumes) and ATWT was, possibly, the most out of touch soap on the dial.

I know Ruxton loved ATWT but trashing other shows is wrong. ATWT died because PGP wanted it dead. It doesn't matter if ATWT 'played' a better game than OLTL. CBS wanted to buy ATWT and GL in 2001 but PGP wanted out. Also, I blame lazy fans (not PGP or Pissy) for not tuning in. Ratings are very democratic and, sadly, ATWT didn't get enough votes. I totally miss my show but tried watching a new show today and it entertained me. No, it wasn't the same, but, regardless, I love serial dramas. I'm waiting for someone to call me a sell out for not being loyal to ATWT, With that said, I should be getting work done and not watching any shows. I loose so much money taking time to tune in.

• Members

The Talk won't be a hit in that ATWT former time slot because most people are busy with work or getting ready for the kids to come home from school. The View struggled for years with ratings and it didn't start to make real head way until it got moved to the lunch time slot in some markets. I think because of who Julie Chen is that her show will most likely get switched to the time slot that Y&R is in because they get the lunch time viewers in lots of markets. I think that will be the only way to judge if The Talk is a success or not because both shows are going head to head for the workers taking lunch breaks.

Now if that happens and Y&R is switched to ATWT former time slot in some markets then I truely feel sorry for that show because it won't continue to be the number 1 soap anymore. The writing is horrible since MAB took over. Will those longtime viewers drop everything and run to their sets to watch the show or will they move on like the old ATWT viewers did? My guess is most will.

Archived