Toups

• Members

GH 2,378,000 (-263,000/-292,000)

DAYS 2,376,000 (-134,000/-488,000)

AMC 2,270,000 (-117,000/-252,000)

OLTL 2,220,000 (-107,000/-242,000)

HH

GH 1.8/6 (-.2/-.2)

AMC 1.7/6 (-.1/-.3) <- ties low rating (Last time: August 23-27, 2010)

OLTL 1.7/6 (-.1/-.2)

DAYS 1.7/6 (-.1/-.4) <- new low

DAYS 1.0/7 (-.1/-.3)

OLTL 1.0/7 (same/-.2)

AMC 0.9/6 (same/-.2)

So many 1.6's and 1.7's for the these shows......the ratings dont surprise me one bit.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly that's true. AMC was improving then it just wasn't. You could practically see the moment AMC made the U-turn back to all the crap that didn't work before: Rylee, Zendall, black hats vs hypocritical white hats, Ryan's concubines constantly talking about how wonderful he is, etc... That's why I'm not crying over the ratings. They have only themselves to blame.

• Members

Shows that make money (or networks hope will EVENTUALLY make money, such as Jerico) are usually safe. Without a trace might have died early but production costs were too high. NBC thought JAG was toast; CBS saw potenial and today we have NCIS. I think it is often a matter of what idiot runs the network. Some would say ATWT died too fast (look at Days numbers) but maybe Days has just lived to long.

I find it interesting how most soaps seem to be in a race to the bottom. ATWT this year had roughly GL numbers from last year; Days this year seems to be holding ATWT HH numbers from last year. By this logic, within a year we should be seeing at least one show hitting a 1.5 HH rating. I thought the genre had bottomed out and ratings would remain stable for a while. I can't believe what has happened to Days. Noticed the show has zero buzz these days so watched an episode--it was well done compared to ATWT and even GH but dry as melba toast. Unless Days does something radical, NBCU/Comcast will ax the show. I'd love for Comcast to be smart and move it to USA. The Passions cable ordeal doesn't really count (You had to have Direct TV) but I'd love to see how a soap would do on cable with one or two repeats a day. Airing a show at Noon, 10pm and 3am night just pull together enough viewers.

• Members

Don't blame the focus groups, blame the people who run them. Focus groups can be manipulated just like surveys. I've been in focus groups, observed them (music not TV) and seen how the reports change between the raw data and the finals given to management. Focus groups are just a tool managers use to justify getting what they want.

• Members

I don't know if I'd call AMC's death on a week where 5 of the 6 soaps went down over 100,000 viewers and where that put AMC as just the forth most lost viewers from last year. It's too uniform of an ugly drop for the whole genre. Was it unusually hot on the week of the 20th in the U.S.?

If I'd call AMC's potential death on anything, I'd call it on the fact that their 18-49 demographic can not get out of the low-middle, back of the pack even with nearly 3 million viewers like earlier this year. Earlier this year, for a while, they were challenging and beating GH in total viewers but could barely get over even OLTL in 18-49 the few times they did.

It's unusual for the numbers for all the soaps (except for Y&R) to go down this low in September. September usually notes the slow climb back to cold-weather numbers.

Archived