Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I think they all are. No one really sparks and stands out. If it weren't for Hagman, Duffy, and yes even KK last night this show would be dead. It also kind of bugs me how modernized everything is. Yeah I know it's necessary but so much of Dallas's appeal has to do with it being over the top and larger than life and that's missing now. Maybe had I not watched the original Dallas it wouldn't bother me as much.

And yes to John Ross. JR was slimy but he had a certain way he carried himself and swagger about him. John Ross strikes me as a cross between Billy Clyde Tuddle(not the fun parts) and Jason Morgan.

And I figured the script would be better. It didn't bother me like it did so many last week. They just threw out every possible twist the first season has to possibly capitalize on in 2 hours where yesterday it sort of settled.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This could have worked but the younger set is all wrong. All seeing them does it make me want to see the original Dallas clan. They completely lack appeal, and that's tragic on a show called Dallas.

Hell yeah! I've been obsessed with JR since I was a kid.

• Members

I don't know, I think the show is fine. Sure it's not perfect but everyone's really nitpicking LOL. IMO. But we're all entitled.

I hate the interior of Soutfork SO much, but it's not bothering me in enjoying the show.

One BIG gripe, the Miss Ellie thing. At least maybe say Miss Ellie went into the asylum briefly after CLAYTON died. That would make at least a little sense.

And if we're all nitpicking, I didn't like the music queues at ALL. I thought they felt very whimsical and I didn't like that. The JR meeting with Carlos Benard's character could have been so much more effective but I felt it was written as a comedy moment and it shouldn't have been.

Yes, the fight had been over Ewing Oil but this season the fight is over Southfork. I don't really see why that's a problem? Cliff Barnes owns Ewing Oil. I'm sure they'll go back after Ewing Oil in another season. Patience.

I will admit I don't see the spark between Elena or Christopher. At all. And I do find it funny that they more or less sidlined Josh Henderson for Larry Hagman. I like Julie Gonzalo as Rebecca but the plot for her is predictable, unfortunately. I want more from her. And they better develop Ann soon. Zzzz.

So yes, the show isn't perfect but I'm still quite enjoying it.

If Larry or Patrick left, I think the show's doomed unless they step up the development for everyone else. And not cardboard cutout storylines, either. Give us some real depth and stakes.

On a happier note, it was great seeing Ken Kercheval as Cliff Barnes. I'm OK with him being recurring. I don't know that I can sit through Cliff vs. JR again every single week. And in a 10 episode season, appearing in a few episodes out of the season isn't that bad. I did love all the mentions of Pam.

• Members

Thank you. And millions and millions of people from around the world ave wanted this story continued since May 3rd, 1991. I'm watching every episode, and if others don't like the show, I'm sure they will find an alternative.

• Members

Exactly. At times, it feels as if I'm watching a new series that's DALLAS in name only.

And I'm not saying Larry Hagman is disappointing, per se. I'm saying the incongruity of a man like J.R. Ewing in the 21st century makes him a little harder to enjoy. I apologize, though, if that wasn't clear before.

• Members

A few people have mentioned the Southfork interior sets. Here are the things that bug me about the sets on the new Dallas:

1. Bobby and Ann's room looks unfinished, especially with a bunch of metal stars on the wall above the bed.

2. There is no way Christopher and Rebecca live in a posh modern condo/apartment in Dallas that has a small white top freezer fridge like the one in their kitchen. No way. We're obsessed with stainless steel here in Texas, and even affordable suburban houses are being built with granite and stainless steel in the kitchens as "standard."

Other than that, I don't really care if it doesn't look EXACTLY like it did before. It's reasonable to assume that in 20 years some redecorating or even remodeling occurred.

• Members

Same here in Oklahoma. And is it just me, or does anyone else think Christopher should be living in some "McMansion" rather than a condo or apartment? In this part of the country, it's not entirely out of the question, especially for someone of Christopher's family and economic backgrounds.

• Members

A "McMansion" isn't a mansion exactly. It's more like a two-story house with lots of square feet and a front and back yard. You see them everywhere in Oklahoma and Texas, particularly in newer housing editions (sp?). And most who own them are like Christopher and Rebecca: young couples and/or newlyweds with a high (or higher than average) annual income.

ETA: If you, or anyone else, has ever watched an episode of TLC's former series, "Trading Spaces," then you'll know what I'm talking about. :)

• Members

His track record as a comedy writer is solid. As a writer and producer for non-comedic series, though? Not so much.

And Robert Rovner has worked on "Crossing Jordan" and "Private Practice," two series I have found to be very, very mediocre.

• Members

Honestly, I'd expect a Ewing who wasn't living on SouthFork or another similar ranch to want to be right in the thick of Dallas, which would mean living in a high rise condo downtown, or perhaps in a nice house in one of the older, wealthier parts of the city. I'd expect them to opt for the condo downtown until they have a family, at which time they'd move out to one of the city's fashionable neighborhoods and buy a really expensive house zoned for awesome schools or convenient to expensive private schools. A Ewing would not live in a suburban master planned McMansion community.

Archived