Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It needs an Abby, a JR a JR/Sue Ellen-esque couple. It needs a lot of work on the character side. I need a clear line in the sand for good and evil characters and everyone else needs to have shades of grey. I want John Ross and Rebecca together and let him cheat and they can be the new JR/Sue Ellen.

• Members

Dallas? No way. Abby is basically JR Lite, created to be a female JR but with a domestic slant. The show has JR, there is no room for a female queen bitch on the show unless we are talking about a supporting villain like a Katherine Wentworth. I always loved Katherine, she was meaner than anyone and eventually totally nuts. All an Abby type would do is push JR out of the spotlight, and then it wouldn't be Dallas. Dallas had Kristin and Katherine and they were great as short term enemies designed to spice up the stories of the stars, but in no way should a character of that sort become the star. Dallas already has its star!

• Members

Wow, I love Cliff and thought he was very complex by soap standards. Ken Kercheval played Cliff so brilliantly, and you saw all the bad aspects of the human condition wrapped up in one guy. He was filled with envy, rage, love, hate, gluttony, hubris, a total lack of social skills at times, selfish as can be, and he was perfect when he would be riding high laughing it up and equally perfect when he was crushed low and seemingly on the brink of suicide. I felt he was more complex than most on the show, certainly more complex than Pam and Bobby. Cliff had the best role on the show because his character would go through these huge swings in story whereas everyone else for the most part barely moved from the starting points. Of all the people to come back, Cliff would be at the top of my list and I loved his scenes this week. I am hoping Rebecca and her "brother" are somehow Barneses. That is when Dallas lost its way, when the show stopped infusing their stories with the Barnes/Ewing dynamic. Angelica Nero was fun, but what the hell does she have to do with Jock screwing Digger Barnes? Nothing, and that is what was wrong with so many of the later characters.

• Members

^ Did you notice the awkward way Rebecca reached out and shook Cliff's hand? Or the way he looked at her when Christopher introduced her? It was almost like he knew her, and he knew something was up, but he wasn't going to blow her cover.

• Members

Larry Hagman is too old to carry this show. The new show needs dynamic characters so when that unfortunate day comes they can still carry on. They need another JR and an Abby type character to keep the younger generation going. I find it so sad that as it stands the most interesting characters are the originals. The whole point is the next generation.

• Members

That's why they got John Ross. Maybe this actor isn't the greatest but it is John Ross's job to stir the pot. The problem with an Abby type is once you insert that sort of starring alpha bitch into the show then it isn't Dallas anymore, it is Dynasty or Knots Landing. I don't want Dynasty and Knots Landing, I want Dallas. Dallas is about the Ewing boys, two generations worth now.

• Members

John Ross is the only good/decent one....we need Angelica back so she can blow the rest of the young character to pieces....lol......or they need a la Pam with the ACME 18 wheeler with the young characters in a car....lol...i am so mean...lol

• Members

Jordana Brewster I just looked up is 31 and older than Victoria Principal was in 1978 when she started. That said, the look of people has changed and people look and project younger now. I will bet anything she is thinner and lighter than VP was and that is one reason why everyone seems so young today. If you look at the original episode, Pam looks and acts like she could be her older sister even though VP was actually younger.

• Members

John Ross is more like Cliff if we're being honest. He doesn't have JR's smarts nor does he have the humor than came with JR. He's a bitter, jealous loser similar to Cliff. If you want a JR type, then it's Lucas or they can bring back James to play that sort of role.

• Members

Jordana just looks too young...damn...wish I looked like that when I was 31....lol......VP did look older when she first started. Thanks for checking.

Lucas should be on the show as well fighting for his part of the ranch......unless that is him with Rebecca. And also as much as I hate to say it where is JR child with Callie?? I believe she had a son too. I didnt care for James or the actor who played him and his birth was offscreen...he'd be too old now to be part of the Ewing fight.

Archived