Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hasn't the closer been on five years? It is allowed to have 6 million watchers to justify it being on that amount of time. I think you worry too much about what Dallas is supposed to be. It's supposed to be watercooler, it's supposed to be young and sexy. So when it isn't there is a problem, but who said it is supposed to be watercooler? Game Of Thrones is watercooler, Lost was watercooler, zombies and vampires are watercooler. I love Dallas but it hasn't been watercooler since 1982. I never read a single interview or review where anyone thought Dallas was going to be the buzz show everyone in the know is watching. That's Game Of Thrones, that was True Blood a couple of years back, and Lost a few years before that, Heroes briefly, and The Killing for a couple of months last year. The Closer isn't a watercooler show and never was. I just now had to google it because I never heard of the show before, to be honest.

• Members

I'm not Carl, but...

True. On the other hand, "Mad Men," although far from being a "ratings winner," can afford lower ratings, because the viewers they do attract probably skew the way AMC would prefer (i.e., young, urban, financially upscale). Same reason why "St. Elsewhere" lasted as long as it did on NBC (six years) despite never rising above no. 49 (or so) in the year-end ratings.

Exactly. I don't believe TNT is ready to pull the trigger (no pun intended), but they'd be lying if they said they weren't at least a little disappointed by the results thus far.

• Members

Mad Men has great demos, with half their audience aged 18-54. And I bet they have a healthy male audience too, which is a tough audience to crack unless Tiger Woods is starring. Dallas' audience isn;t too shabby. Their total audience is larger, and their demos while not being as good as Mad Men isn't bad.

• Members

For everyone's sake, I hope the ratings do stabilize. Lord knows we need something to fill the void in our lives that the loss of so many, once-great soaps has created. I'm just sorry I can't be more enthused about what I'm seeing on-screen. sad.png

• Members

Agreed

I mean really anyone expecting big ratings from the new Dallas is crazy. Dallas was heavily promoted in 98 during the 2nd reunion movie and it didnt do so well and this was one of the three major networks...come on.....

• Members

Unlike the reunion movies, though, DALLAS 2.0 received mixed-to-glowing advance reviews from critics (whereas, when it came to "J.R. Returns" and "War of the Ewings," critics basically told folks just to avoid). I really do think word-of-mouth means everything.

• Members

Seriously I didnt expect big numbers from Dallas...I mean pls its TNT for gods sake.......and its had more viewers both weeks....whether it gets renewed or not...we dont know for sure...but I am going to enjoy the hell out of this one season we do get. And I am sure this will soon come out on DVD say Christmas time....a nice stocking stuffer...

• Members

Judith Light? Maybe for a role on KNOTS LANDING: THE NEXT GENERATION. But not DALLAS 2.0.

And the only show I want to see Sally Field on is a revival of "The Flying Gidget with Something Extra." Or whatever the hell it was called. :)

Archived