Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

And let's just presume for the moment, too, that Tommy and Rebecca are 1) siblings, and 2) NOT Pam's kids. If that's the case, then I want Kate Jackson to turn up next season as their viper-like mother who turns things upside down for her kids AND for the Ewings.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the risk of veering so off-topic/off-thread that it wouldn't be even remotely funny...? Sally Field has this habit of portraying most, if not all, of her characters as if they're in serious need of Lithium. I don't know whether that's her crutch, or if that's just the kind of parts people give her. Nevertheless, it's always exhausting for me to watch her near-patented form of hysteria.

• Members

It would be stupid to kill her off. If anything, they need to get rid of Elena.

As for the ratings, that's not surprising because the first two episodes were pretty bad. However, I do think episode 3 was well written and a step in the right direction. This show deserves a season two but it needs a TON of work. The Next Generation is just as bland as the reunion movies and I feel the later seasons had a more interesting Next Generation.

• Members

Do not get me wrong: I absolutely love the fact that J.R. Ewing is back and back on my TV screen. It's been too long, in fact, since we had someone on a show whom we genuinely "love to hate," and not just someone whom we're...mildly concerned about.

However, as good as J.R. (and Larry Hagman) still is at being bad, neither character nor actor is at his wicked best unless he has a true, worthy adversary. I mean, even the [!@#$%^&*] that went down between him and Anjelica Nero during the "dream season" was pretty exciting, in my opinion, even if it smacked of DYNASTY and was essentially meaningless. Sorry, folks (and TNT), but even an ailing J.R. towers over the current, younger bunch. Put any one of them in direct opposition to the guy -- John Ross, Christopher, Elena, Rebecca (and Tommy), even Ann -- and it just won't be a fair fight. Simple as that.

Does that mean they should get back to "Bobby vs. J.R."? No. For one thing, Bobby has enough on his plate right now. For another, it'd make no sense for him to keep butting heads with his brother after all these years. To me, it's like the veteran cop in the movie who says, "I'm too old for this [!@#$%^&*]." Bobby has witnessed just about every dirty trick J.R. has ever played. He knows J.R. never will change. Ergo, Bobby would just as soon stay out of the fray -- not because he's afraid of J.R. (because he isn't), but because he just doesn't see the point.

• Members

And before anyone suggests bringing back Cliff and/or restarting the Barnes/Ewing feud, allow me to veto that idea as well. For one, Cliff never was a complex character; ergo, Kercheval always seemed to play him as the Wile E. Coyote to Hagman's Road Runner. For another, unless something HUGE happened -- like, okay, Rebecca and Tommy are his kids, and one or the both of them gets killed, and Cliff blames J.R. and the rest of the Ewings for it -- I'm afraid the feud will be ridiculously one-note, something it always was in danger of becoming on the first series.

• Members

Christopher and Elena reconcile. Elena informs John Ross, who goes on a drinking spree (and ends up in bed with that Val-like figure I keep pitching). Christopher informs Rebecca, who swears vengeance. Tommy learns Rebecca plans to kill Christopher with a car bomb and tries to stop her. Rebecca shoots Tommy. Tommy warns Bobby as he is taken to the hospital. Bobby races to stop Christopher but is overcome by the progression of his disease and crashes his car on the freeway. Elena gets into Christopher's car (because hers doesn't start). The car explodes. Elena dies, Christopher sobs (or JM makes an attempt at sobbing), Bobby is rushed to the hospital in critical condition, and Rebecca pulls a gun on J.R. and Sue Ellen and reveals she is J.R.'s daughter.*

...Okay.

(*What does this mean? It means Kristin actually gave birth to twins: Rebecca, then Tommy. Both are J.R.'s. Rebecca is taken to a sanitarium, while Tommy and J.R. deal with the aftermath of her revelation. And Christopher, once he learns he isn't Kristin's son, embarks on a year-long journey to find his real mother. A journey that begins with a visit with his bio dad, Jeff Farraday.)

Archived