• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Watching an old Denise Pence video from a decade ago and I had forgotten she mentioned auditioning as Jackie Marler. They decided she was too young but created Katie for her. 

(this is for Guiding Light, of course)

Edited by DRW50

• Errol changed the title to ALL: They Almost Became
  • Members

I was going back and reading this thread and saw this. Personally I think Kirsten Alderson has the spark and experience to make Summer interesting with the writing being the way it is on Y&R. I'm shocked they auditioned experienced soap actors, two Emmy winners and went with a newcomer. The actress in the role is fine, but incredibly bland and as a result the character has gone from a lead to an expendable supporting character.

• Members

I don’t think Lanier is bland at all as an actress rather it is Griffith’s writing that made the character bland. Lanier’s first year completely revitalized a once dead end character and made the character more mature, edgier, and bitchier, but apparently that was too much drama for Griffith to handle so he regressed the character back to a weeping whiner like Hunter King played. 

We were flat out robbed of AL having a rivalry with ZS. 

Lanier is fine in this role, if the show could use her correctly, especially given AL had shown to be formidable towards ZS, SW, and CH while eating Stafford alive. Given Y&R’s track record,  “Experienced Emmy winners” there’s a high chance Alderson and Ainsworth both would have been DOA flops. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Had they not aged Lulu she would've been age appropriate. Lulu was introduced in 1994, and Lanier was born in 1990. And, technically, her birth year was retconned to 1988, so Lanier is only two-years younger than that. Both Berman & Rylan were meant to be playing younger than they are in-real-life.

• 5 weeks later...