The Lady Gaga Thread

• Members

Well... as far lyrics, I do understand what you are saying here. and believe you me, there was crap in other decades as well. But what I was referring to is not lyrics, but the melody structure of the song. To me, lyrics can be silly or stupid or not make sense and that's ok, the production, the singer, and the melody is what I think is the most important. Christina A. DOES have a voice, and if she'd just change the way she sings, dare I say it, she'd actually be GOOD. The reason I bitch so much about singers today (and believe me, I bitch about this EVERYWHERE, not just here) is that unless the listening public makes their voice heard on public forums, we never get anything of better quality. Honestly I think Kylie Minogue kind of started this ball rolling of style over substance, but at least her SAW tunes were listenable and infectious, and dare I say it, HAPPY. That's another thing that's kind of missing on the charts is JOY, It seems a far larger percentage of songs all come from a dark place, anger.. resentment... violence. And I LOVE a tear jerkin song, but maybe it's just that music seems to take itself too seriously, even when it's meant to be light pop.

Yep. I'm DYING for something good to come along, I really am. There are always people who pop up from time to time who are truly GREAT... like Frenchie Davis, but she can't get any traction because she''s too fat to be marketed as a sex symbol. And when she DOES finally record an album, they put effing AUTOTUNE on her! On Frenchie Davis! Anyone who condones that kind of crap just needs to sit the hell down. There are a few things out there good to be had, though... Ceelo Green has put out some amazing stuff.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's all subjective isn't it? I think CA sounds good. Extra--I can do without. I can say the same for Patti LaBelle when she goes overboard simply because she can and I can do without overboard. Neither is alone in that category with Michael Bolton being a great offender whenever he seemingly feels challenged (he and Patti Labelle had some near scream off once).

Style over substance is another subjective matter. Motown artists were stylized though probably all pretty talented. When it comes to The Supremes and Diana Ross, I guess it's debatable which ones were the best singers.

Maybe Kylie Minogue took it to another level but Madonna probably rewrote the book. Nowadays you have more of a focus sex appeal than focus on singing talent.

• Members

Oh, I totally agree about Miss Patti. And your example of The Supremes I understand, but with them, the songs and production were as much the stars as Ross, who had more charisma than voice. Her drive has been attributed to insecurity, because she felt inferior to Flo in the voice department and inferior to Mary in the looks department. And although they became popular with the "style over substance" kind of thing, after Ross was gone, it reversed itself, and Jean Terrell ended up being someone who sang Ross under the table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
1. Lady Gaga, Artpop
Perhaps in a decade from now, fans and critics alike will look back on this album as something special for the music it delivered. Until then, Artpop will just be regarded as a massive commercial failure focused squarely too much on stunts and not on the music. Given how much Gaga outdoes herself with each new album, it is no surprise that Artpop buckled under the pressure. However no one is feeling the pain more than her record label, which sank $25 million into making this spectacle profitable while Lorde, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus easily ran away with all the success and the attention.

Perhaps The Wrap captured it best when it snarked, "That 'Applause' Gaga is hearing these days has been reduced to a polite golf-clap." Ouch! The pop star should be riding high about now, coming off a world tour and having released her fourth album, "ARTPOP," last month. However, in February she was forced to cancel dates on her "Born This Way" world tour after she needed surgery to repair a hip injury caused by strenuous repetitive movements. Her much-hyped album debuted at the top spot on the Billboard charts selling 258,000 copies, but it fell 100,000 copies short of the openings for both Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry's recent albums. Making matters worse, Gaga's second-week sales fell by a whopping 82 percent, the largest dive of the year. And the Mother Monster's Thanksgiving special didn't get any ratings love either, coming in 78 percent lower than her Thanksgiving special two years ago. Even "Machete Kills," the Robert Rodriguez sequel she appeared in, bombed. Most importantly, people weren't talking about her, even though she did her best to get our attention. She pranced onto the American Music Awards red carpet on horseback, but it was Miley who stole the show when she performed "Wrecking Ball" in front of a giant, animated cat. Better luck next year, Gaga!

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Those are interesting lists (dating John Mayer makes you a "winner"??).

I think Lady Gaga needs to take a break for a year or two, at least. She'd appointed herself as an icon when she really should have focused more on slowly building up her brand.

I feel a little sorry for her sometimes because she seems to need all of this to keep herself emotionally going day-to-day, not just for career purposes. That's why I think she should take a rest.

• 2 weeks later...