The Lady Gaga Thread

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Her music has consistently underwhelmed me since Born This Way and I feel no different with this last outing. Outside of the two officially released singles and some sparse potential in songs like Gypsy and Dope I don't see anything of worth in her album. It's sad because The Fame (Monster) had a chance to grow into something great, but instead she has remained consistently dull in the harsh light of day.

• Members

Just listened to the album... It will be one of those things were you kinda have to get used to it first and then see what you think :lol: (that's what certainly happened with Do What U Want and Venus). But I LUUUURVE "Gypsy" and "Dope," of course.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The new cd is under-whelming to me. It seems like she is in a holding pattern in terms of her artistic pursuits. I thought that 'The Fame' and 'The Fame monster' were great companion cds, but both Born this Way and Artpop seem like rough drafts that were turned in without being edited and proof-read, imho

• Members

I just read an EW article about how its struggling sales wise to even match Born This Way (which overall was very weak aside from 2 maybe 3 songs). That given her SNL stint that they were expecting a bump in her album sales but that it hasn't happened.

I just think she really just doesn't get it. She comes across as just completely delusional. Even Britney Spears at her lowest didn't turn me off in this manner. Her need for attention and penchan for doing ridiculous over the top things isn't endearing the vast majority of the public. Its like she's on drugs and just feels the need to change things up every 5 seconds or say something or wear something out there just to get press. Then she wants to pretend like her music or her process is something special....I do wonder where she goes from here if the album is deemed a flop in the long run. Financially she probably will be okay but I do wonder what she'll do career wise....

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

I honestly gave this a shot and listened to the whole thing. I think there are two things that bother me about her. First, this song seems very repetitive to me, no real structure with verses and chorus, etc. At least it has a bridge, but it's an unremarkable one. And her voice sounds far too similar to Christina Aguilera, except with less melisma and less richness of tone. Once again, this is the same problem with most all singers on the charts today, lack of uniqueness and an instantly recognizeable sound. I appreciate her need to be creative, but there is also a fine line between artistic genius and freak show. I'm wondering if from a songwriting standpoint, her well has run dry early. I just don't picture seeing her being a songwriter in the long term turning out stuff on the level of Elton John, etc. Her voice also seems electronically enhanced, which sucks all the raw emotion out of a song, and is very over-produced.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

Both of the songs I like are used in commercials and are infectious as pop should be.

If you don't like Christina Aguilera's voice then I can see how you would not like anyone's voice who sounds like her. I don't think she sounds like her though and overdone melisma is annoying but it still doesn't take away from CA's generally great voice.

I don't take pop stars too seriously.....I leave that to them and their critics.

The problem you find with today's pop existed in other decades too. Who would believe that the writer of something such as "Mickey's Monkey" could be a capable lyricist? Trite pop is at the core of some of the most fun songs ever. The 80s is full of it and probably the decade with the most fun music, imo.

Now I haven't paid much attention to the "Applause" lyrics (maybe they're on the level of "Vogue"), but "Do What U Want" does say something over whatever you find repetitive. I read that she thinks the song is R&B. While there is a thin line imo between the two, I don't think R. Kelly's appearance on a song makes it R&B. I still think this song is pop but his collaboration with Justin Beiber qualifies as R&B, if that's even worth anything these days.