The Lady Gaga Thread

• Members

Adele only has one good song... I think the problem is hype. If any other artist released Born this way.. it would be viewed as a nice tribute to the 80's. However, since it was Gaga, it got over hyped as the cd of the decade. So when you buy it, it will disappoint, no matter how good it is.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked the album. It is not the second coming of pop music but I like it; it's fun, entertaining, does some unexpected things.

I'm not necessarily referring to people here but a little objectivity wouldn't hurt; some people hate her gimmicks/persona so much that it spills over to their judgment of her music. By all accounts, I have heard much, much worse than her, and better. Granted, she shouldn't have said that it's the best album of the decade but if she doesn't hype herself, then who will? :lol:

• Members

I go back to Adele, who is mentioned in this thread. She doesn't hype herself up, and currently, she's the most successful singer in the world. She lets her music do the speaking and it's word of mouth that has given her whatever hype she has. So, no, I don't necessarily think an artist has to hype their selves up if the music doesn't do enough speaking on its own.

Granted, Stefani and Adele are two different artists, but the same rule should ideally apply. Let the music do the speaking. Truth be told, I dislike Gaga's personality and her gimmicks, but her music is pretty damn standard and nothing resembling the innovation she and her diehard fans claim it to be. Perhaps, it would be easier to take if she and her posse weren't constantly on a rampage about how great and different her music is, because it's not and it's done before, and in a lot of cases, it's been done way better. If she didn't have the gimmicks or general cheap repetitive tactics, I would still think so.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Oh, I agree that it would be great if the music was allowed to speak for itself and the whole hype/promotion business was left behind. Adele is a singer with good songs and a great voice and I love her, but she's just one example, the exception really. Where would Rihanna, Britney, etc be without hype? It's almost synonymous with pop (a whole different discussion, this).

Granted, GaGa has taken it much further than just hype. In all honesty, I enjoy her crazy appearances. I too think it's become too much and is drowning her credibility but she's exactly what pop is supposed to be: Over the top, of the moment, fun. Magnified, of course. I know that people would still not like her stuff even despite her gimmicks. However, there are a lot who claim her music is terrible because they really can't stand the persona. It's, literally, their only argument when asked. Which is interesting.

• Members

IDK, it doesn't always have to be all about the music. If Adele is all about the music and letting it speak for itself, that's great. Gaga is a different type of artist, though, and a huge part of her package is the bizarreness of her performances. The performance is probably even a bigger part than the actual music, and I don't have a problem with that because it's what she chooses to do with her career.

My issue lies more with the overzealous fans, which I know I'm repeating, but jeez. The crazy fans (key word: crazy) are so defensive of everything she says and does because they've foreclosed on their own identities to the point of her being them, and so an unfavorable opinion of Gaga is interpreted as an unfavorable opinion on themselves.

• Members

You've hit the nail right on the head. Especially the bolded part. Whether intentional or not, she has created it herself. Quite the smart move on her part. She though will have to walk a fine line the rest of her career and not alienate that rabid, crazy fanbase of hers. They could just as easily turn on her.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This is actually funny.. but I was visiting my mom and the video for 'Edge of Glory' came on.. my mom was on her laptop and like a minute into the show she looks up and stares at the tv.. then turns to me and says 'does she realize how much she sounds like Madonna?'.

I explained how Gaga was saying how her music is unique and ground-breaking, etc.. and my mom said 'she is totally mimicking Madonna from music to vocal stylings to the point that I thought it was Madonna singing before I looked up and saw that meat girl on the tv screen'. If I dare broach to a hard-core Gaga fan that she is mimicking Madonna.. I get looks of how dare I compare Gaga to that inferior creature.. and I'm like 'um, I can look at any gimmick that Gaga does except the meat dress and know instantly when Madonna did it first'.

Now, I'm not saying I don't like Gaga because she does have some killer music.. but I think she goes too far sometimes with her over-the-top stunts. Plus, I think she does more harm then good for the gay movement.. an honest opinion from a gay dude.

• 1 month later...