Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of November 2, 2009

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They sacrificed so many good storylines to prop up Cane and it all blew up in their face. Cane is still a useless and boring character that prompts no sympathy or interest from this viewer. Plus it doesn't help that he's paired with that.

• Members

Not anymore. After all the years of screaming and shouting and fighting against/calling out the writing on GH, on AMC, on DOOL, on Y&R, on AW, on all of daytime, and after all the posts I've ever written on numerous message boards over the years about the way daytime is killing itself, I just can't do it anymore. I feel like I've been fighting a losing battle for far too long. So fine. TPTB don't want to change? Then I will. I don't have a Nielsen box, so they don't give a cr@p if I stop watching their show. So now I'm down to OLTL and Y&R, two shows I feel are both severely flawed, but I still find some small trace of enjoyment in. And when I lose that, then I'm done with daytime. And I've made my peace with that.

Fighting about it on a message board with strangers leaves me with nothing but empty frustration and the urge to throw my laptop into my TV and kill two birds with one stone. :D

That being said - I liked Phillip today. Glad they wrote him relieved that Chance snapped at him, as opposed to defensive, and I'm happy with the way Thom played it. And yeah - that's about all I liked about today's episode. LOL!

• Members

It seems like a pretty defeatist attitude. I think many who don't feel that way believe that things have the potential to get better, regardless of low budgets and network interference - both of which have been going on since the beginning of television. All I know is, Y&R wasn't this way under previous writing teams, hence I why I personally blame this writing regime for the way the show is now.

I don't think anyone expects Greek tragedy on daytime (although, I'm sure Maria Arena Bell stupidly/arrogantly thinks that's what she and her team are writing). We just want something that respects our intelligence as viewers, the style of the show, and the integrity of the characters - which is very hard to find these days.

• Members

Because it is. :D

There is no Renaissance coming. Post as much as you want, it's not going to change. There's plenty on television I *do* like, so when I finally cut these two shows loose, I'm not going to feel like I'm missing anything from my life, especially when it's something that hasn't given me joy in a very long time.

Sold out to whom? LOL! It's a television show. Who exactly am I selling out to if I give up watching a television show?

• Members

Sure, if that's how you want to put it. But again, it's my choice as a viewer whether or not to watch a television show. I wouldn't consider struggling through watching a TV show the same as struggling through life. That seems a little over the top.

• Members

I have to say this: I wouldn't want you to see all of this questioning as an examination, attack, torture or anything like that. I believe people are genuinely interested in how you fell and how you've come to feel the way you do. :)

• Members

But I honestly do not think anyone expects a renaissance - they crave something that's consistent for more than two months out of the year, even if it isn't particularly brilliant. And right now, that isn't happening, but there is the potential for it to happen with the right people behind the scenes.

Jack Smith was a mixed bag as storyteller, but his Y&R was consistent in that it felt like Y&R and you knew what you were getting. I can't honestly say that about the show anymore.

• Members

Nah, it's cool. It's my choice whether or not I respond to things on a message board. It doesn't do anybody any good to fight and argue and go on the offensive or the defensive. Message boards are entertainment, but I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody, or sway anybody to my opinion. If I'm feeling attacked, I close my computer and go outside to the real world, it's as simple as that.

There's also nothing to really explain about "how I fell". I'm just bored by it all. My life is too short to write a hundred posts a day about a show that makes me want to pull my hair out. I'm reminded of the end of the Truman Show. "Let's see what else is on? Where's the TV Guide?" LOL!

• Members

Believing that what you have to say, what you feel as a viewer and a loyal follower of daytime doesn't matter, even to yourself as you watch it.

That's really sad. Regardless of if one speaks up about how they feel about a show or if they "post with strangers" on the internets, you should always know your opinion matters. Even if to yourself.

You're falling into the machine's way of thinking. I find that depressing.

Archived