Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of November 2, 2009

• Members

Trcica's on recurring (according to the credits), so I'm sure a paycut may not matter much in her case.

The Chance character is a bland disaster, one a

:rolleyes: won't make anymore interesting. Why has this character been so poorly developed? I have to wonder if they just brought him back simply because Nina and Phillip were on the show and had nothing planned - kind of like how Mac was brought back with no purpose other than to prop Billy.

and God, I still hate the name "Chance." Ugh!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anything actually happen in this cancer story, besides Lily wearing a bald cap and making Shirley Temple faces?

BTW, I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about Cane either. Really, who cares. They hired a washed-up genre actor from cheap syndicated sci-fi/fantasy TV. Wow. Do they want a medal? They always seem to when daytime hires people outside the bubble these days. Doesn't mean he's at all interesting.

• Members

That's a topic for another thread. I apologize for even saying anything, even though it was just said in jest.

I will police myself better as to what I say off the cuff in the future.

I honestly don't know why i come back to SON sometimes.

:rolleyes:

(Although I can't wait to read DeeeDeee's response to the final scene of today's show!!!! Should be priceless!!)

Nope. Nothing.

• Members

You don't have to police yourself in anything. Sylph just mistakes the names of the threads for "Dick-Slapping Hour With Masochists". Apparently SON has a lot of those who like getting slapped around for no apparent reason.

• Members

:rolleyes:

One can't get a straight answer here... Sometimes...

Tricia Cast is the only one who can decide whether she want to take the cut or not. And such "silly" little side comments aren't really in place. Her finances are her thing, there are no jokes there.

• Members

Today had some good moments. JD seems to be feeling more comfortable in the role of Chance. He's starting to show something. I'm even seeing a little more chemistry between him and Chloe, even though I still prefer Chilly for now.

I liked the Kaye/Jill scenes. they have had a classic rivalry for so long, but I like that they are on good footing right now. I was glad to see that Jill still cares about Cane (not that I do). I'm hoping maybe Jill and Neil will bond at the hospital.

Paul and Nina's scenes were good too. I thought it was cute the way Paul was teasing her. Emily is growing on me.

I don't really understand why Lauren and others are angry about what Billy wrote about Victor. It was true, so why shouldn't he print it? I don't really think he or the Abbott's owe Victor anything right now. What he wrote about Victoria was probably a little more questionable, but as far as I can see it was also true. I'd like to see Billy turn Restless Style into a gossip rag/tabloid. That's the perfect job for him and Chloe both.

• Members

Yeah, it was a little puzzling considering that Michael is definitely screwing Victor over for Glo right now. I just don't see that Lauren should be especially loyal to the Newman's.

The biggest WTF for me today was Paul saying that it was a huge mistake to walk away from his daughter and let April raise her with her new husband. Ummm, you are letting someone else raise your son too Paul. How do you know that Isabella's parent's are the Cleaver's? :huh:

• Members

Bite your tongue!

I watch the Lily/Cane storyline and wonder if there is any other story they can possibly tell about ANY other character to fill the timeslot. I'm not even nauseated by CK and DG attempts anymore the whole story is too romanticized for me to draw any appropriate interest and so this time I will blame just the writing and not the "actors"

Tomo's epi looks like it'll be interesting. Have been enjoying a bit more of the character moments between LONG UNSEEN favs (seemingly even moreso now- absence makes the heart grow fonder)

Neil is back and in the upcoming Chancellor story mix (it seems , Maria better make sure 1. The story is good and 2. Neil is deep into it). I'm loving the self destruction, in over his head downfall that is surely to come of Nick Newman and also that of Ashley

• Members

And screwing The Abbotts over for Glo for YEARS.

Lauren is old friends with The Newmans but that relationship is meaningless now cause The Baldwin-Fishers are ever in need of propping.

Much like Katherine, Jill, Olivia, Ashley, Nina, Traci, Sharon & even Giggly Heffa were/are all absent from the cancer story.

Pretty much.

• Members

You mean Sabrina, Tyra, Ana, Ryder, and Daisy weren't thrilling additions? LOL!

God, not only do they suck at writing for established characters, but they can't even develop characters they create themselves. You know a writing regime needs to be fired and sucks when they fail repeatedly at both.

Yep, especially, when they don't need to be adding more to their already overstuffed cast.

• Members

Yup, yup. So, you have hit on a number of story beats missing here: Extended family, change in the person as they go through the stages of acceptance and confronting mortality. It is not all smiles and giggles. There is enormous variability in vitality and energy and even appearance. NOT ONE BEAT OF THIS has played.

We have had recent experience with cancer, but I would have hated this story even before. For me, a hallmark cancer story was "Nancy's Cancer" on Thirtysomething. Not only was every beat played, but through the cancer Nancy and her husband (Elliot) went from estrangement to renewed love and appreciation. (Similar, eh?). And NOT FOR A SECOND did it seem sappy--not even when Elliot proposed during the cancer saying "Will you do me the honor of letting me be your second husband?" (He was also her first, but he wanted to convey that HE had been changed by the cancer too). I followed Patricia Wettig to Brothers and Sisters because of that story.

I was riveted to B&B during Felicia's cancer. It was a huge mistake to let her live, given how the character has been treated. Up to the "death", that story was a beautiful short-arc gem about saying goodbye, and engineering how you wanted the world to be after your passing.

Very interesting analysis. I do agree that I was quite enthusiastic about the early weeks.

The absence of Ashley -- though I understand it -- is tragic. Survivors talking to survivors is an amazing process. But if we remember Ash had chemo and radiation, we'll remember (even BEYOND Robert) that Ashley could not/should not/would not have gotten pregnant again. (Chemo stimulates menopause, especially in breast cancer women of Ashley's age). And we couldn't be reminded of that, could we?

This frustrates me, and not because I'm not business savvy.

Each of us can list (with high consensus) 15 contract players we could drop who would make room for Olivia and/or Nina and/or Traci. We're talking about a 3:15 trade. Now, I realize TPTB don't want to bring back old "fat" women. But it is a huge, huge, huge error. Each of these women brings INSTANT "heart"...and that's what Y&R needs to survive.

Can't wait to see...

Cane was good (IMO) in the start...and I thought he could have made a nice little "action hero" (in the JT/Paul mode). Now...I just want he and Lily to live happily ever after in the Outback. Soon.

I agree with every word here. Driscoll finally felt like he was inhabiting the emotional complexity of his character a bit. Paul and Nina are cute, but I don't want to see a romance there. Emily, though, is rapidly easing my ire about doppelgangers. Why?

Because Emily is SUCH a different (and interesting, strong) character. I forget that she looks like Patty, honestly.

Really? Paul said that. That infuriates me. It infuriates Mr. Davidson, too.

Archived