Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of November 2, 2009

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think a soap medical story has to be realistic. I hated to see Luan go but I didn't mind that she had a "mystery illness". I didn't mind at all that Olivia survived cancer through pregnancy and childbirth. I didn't even mind that near-60 year old Rachel Cory on AW had healthy twins in a beach house while battling a tumor.

I just think a soap medical story has to have some type of good purpose. What was the purpose of this story? To cheat viewers out of the fallout of Cane's deception to Lily. That was what a lot of us wanted to see. I think CK is generally OK when she plays angry, confrontational material. I cared about seeing her move apart from Cane and work through their issues.

The other purpose is yet another "she is not worthwhile because she doesn't have her uterus" storyline which we have all seen a million times. And

So basically this is a cancer story which is about everything but cancer, and the stakes really aren't worth it.

• Administrator

Some people here don't even watch Y&R episodes, so obviously they don't discuss the episodes. They are just here to take this thread into an OT discussion. Last time I threatened to give out warnings to those who don't use spoiler tag in this thread - and that has been working very well. So now, I might have to do the same thing for interlopers of this episode discussion thread. I don't understand why every other soap can have a good discussion thread but Y&R can't.

• Members

I wish that this plan against Chancellor Industries was a sign that Ashley is finally over her sanctimonious view of Jack's cutthroat business practices, but I guess instead this shows us how ill she is and that when Victor or whoever saves the day, she will go back to her usual scolding self.

I can't believe that Chance was ever given such a major job on the force if he was blindsided that easily.

• Members

While I am happy seeing Neil back on the show more regularly, I just can't stand that we have Lily on EVERY SINGLE DAY along with that thing she calls her husband. If this is what the show without EB is like, then I'm thankful he's back even more. Plus, Mac has just got to go.

What sick and twisted creep thought that pairing a baby-stealing man with the baby's mother would be good drama for us to watch? Adam needs to die!

• Members

I agree with all of this. Maybe including Mac. Until we get a story that justifies her and explains/uses her dourness, she's just a drag. I'd like to see someone help her come into the sunlight. I thought it could be Billy. Alas.

So, here, I disagree. I'd love to see these two fall passionately, unstoppably, epically in love. The ultimate love story of soapdom. AND THEN Sharon finds out.... She then gets the kitchen scissors and cuts his balls off.

• Members

I hate that it's dragging out. He has too much sick and twisted baggage for me to chew on the story. I don't like it, I don't care for it, and I don't want to see Sharon going through this. He steals her born baby, gives it away and then proceeds to romance her while apparently battling his demons. No, thank you. The story is hard to imagine as it is with Adam getting a makeover, but now this? He was also the reason why Ashley lost her baby after having mentally tortured her, and eventually she'll go crazy again when she learns another thing that Adam did to her. In a useless plot twist, he seduced a naive man, fired his aunt and got absolutely no punishment for it. I wonder if they'll decide to prop him up for another year or so.

And no, this isn't a discussion about Muhney, it's about Adam's current actions, so it belongs here.

• Members

Don't you see this as going to be "who shot Adam" storyline?

The baby switch is revealed. Adam is shot in the head. Sharon reverts to her fugue state (she discovered the body, which triggered it), and can't remember if she shot Adam (she didn't). Ashley also has a fugue state, and is found catatonic (briefly).

At the end of Hamner's whodunit, it is revealed that the shooter was Dr. Taylor, who seethed with anger. (Maybe the revealed baby switch lost him his family and his license to practice molestation--er--gynecology).

Now, note that Adam was shot in the head. Specifically, the bullet sliced through his right frontal lobe and into his right hippocampus.

He emerges from this with no recollection -- whatsoever -- of having done the switch...and with a new, more contrite personality. He is also fully blind and suffers from occasional torturous headaches. The new personality, lack of memory, and constant suffering fully redeems him.

Eventually, Sharon forgives him, they marry, and raise Faith together. Ashley is the godmother.

• Members

Mark, does it kill your enthusiasm for this show, your I can't wait for tomorrow's episode! after you've figured out the formula? Of this regime? The six-month arcs, the predictable goriness, the predictable casting choices...?

• Members

Hehe, I certainly hope this was one big joke because that would be disastrous (not that I wouldn't like having Adam shot, but with a different outcome). I'm daydreaming of the day the new writing regime arrives and starts fixing the mistake of the previous one (that is, if we ever get a new regime, or if that new regime would be good).

On a different note, I'm glad to see more of Jill, but she should have been the main focus of the writers now that EB exited. She should be front and center with her story, either plotting behind Kay's back to somehow get the upper hand or something like that. I don't want to see the talentless youngsters (that being the Lame couple) leading story.

Archived