Possible Y&R Spoiler

• Members

LML was supported by the Bell's, though, no one around here or on the corporate side wants to admit that.

We have nothing to lose at this point by getting a new writing and producing regime, the show will likely be canceled in a few years anyway, and it would be a shame if someone didn't at least try to bring better behind the scenes talent to this show in an attempt to fix its problems and give it a decent sendoff.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so depressed. And today's episode was so GOOD. I loved Victor being kicked in the teeth, I got so much satisfaction from that. I even had a pity party for Patty. I was even hopeful because I read that Thom has been shooting for 5 days in a row now, and is going bakc on front burner for November sweeps. But now I'm SCARED hearing about this PAtty garbage. All we know is that he's been shooting alot, and shooting alot with Hendrickson. If any of their scenes together involve Thom's penis... I Think my head will explode. I'm in a state of panic right now with all this doppleganger crap. I almost expect them to bring back Lilibet Stern to play Nina's stolen son... only he's had a sex change and plastic surgery to look 20 years older.

• Members

I am in total agreement here. Haiduk should probably have left. But if they needed to keep her, there is a much more interesting way to have done this -- to explore her missing years in Eau Claire that drove her crazier--and led her to have a destroyed face (needing reconstruction). It really did not need to go this direction...

LOL and LOL

Now all we need is Cashton to weigh in with something similar, and we'll know the tide has fully turned.

Okay, but here's the thing...old Days was like this: throw in a back-from-the-dead or lookalike or whatever was needed.

But the Days miracle of the last year (ratings stability) has owed itself more to paring down to an essential mini-cast, and leavening the newbies with HEAVY supporting play from some loved (and until recently, criminally underused) veterans. JackPeyton has done a wonderful analysis of this, and why it is working.

For the most part (even though a baby switch is front burner right now--it is more realistically done than Y&R's), Days is again based on planet earth. There is less eyerolling. And that one fact, alone, seems to have bought them a stable audience. Y&R would do well to emulate that aspect.

Why do people always say this? It is NEVER correct! When people leave, THEY LEAVE. They don't come back. (Jack Peyton Axiom). If you wait for the ratings to go down, you've waiting too long.

Right now, with this kind of a massive disappointment, that's your "early warning indicator". The ratings will soon start their slide, just as they did in the late-LML era.

Yes, I thought this too...

If we can be convinced that this nutcase imitated Patty (who, herself, previously had surgery), then we can put this psycho away forever...and have the "new, improved, sane Patty with no heinous crimes on her record").

And we (this show and its viewers) can crawl one step closer to the crypt.

Bingo. Ironically, there was improvement in the post-LML era. But it seems like every lesson learned has been unlearned...in spades.

But 3.5s are sh!tty, sh!tty ratings! And the TREND, the TREND is still downward. Yes, we seem to be in a relatively stable window this last year, but we're starting to hit those 3.2s and 3.3s on some days. THAT is the sign of the trend.

Even for Victor, I take no pleasure in seeing--while the man is still DEATHLY ILL--these people being angry.

Why the f*ck couldn't the show have let him return to some semblance of his "strong man" persona and THEN had all these people say their piece? Watching Victor browbeaten when he is weak is...not satsifying.

• Members

KSJ feels otherwise! (Nice, candid interview).

But, sure, Victor can get left at the Belgian clinic, while Nikki returns to GC to keep a watchful eye on the family for him. I totally buy that. She doesn't need to sit there in the hospital and hold his d*ck (forgive my french, but I'm angry) while he recuperates...even though she plausibly would.

I do wonder if TGVN will return to his magnificent condo if Eric re-signs...and if Nikki will move in with him, kind of like his next-generation Douglas Austin, LOL.

• Members

I understand the trend is downward. All I'm saying that I think it will take Y&R 10 more years to get to where GL was. BUT maybe CBS will just pull the plug way before Y&R ever gets to the 1.6 mark. Maybe Sony or the Bells will just pull the plug themselves in 2 years. I don't deny those things are possible, but my money is Y&R still being here 10 years from now.

• Members

Actually, my linear projection says "it hits cancellation territory--low ones" in 2016. But if CBS is down to a one-soap lineup before then (ATWT gone next year, B&B is the "oldest skewing" soap on the nets--so even with 2nd-highest viewership, it has the WORST demos), CBS may quit.

I don't know. I'll be interested to see what NBC does with DOOL. If NBC dumps DOOL, I think CBS oughta try for DOOL (to replace ATWT and B&B) to bring their age numbers down.

The Leno failure shows what will happen if a network goes down to one soap. Not only are they losing viewers for Leno, but they lose an hour of primetime promotion opportunities (to drama-oriented audiences) for their shows. Thus, THE WHOLE NBC LINEUP IS DOWN. And, of course, local affiliates are urinating blood over what has happened to their post-prime newscasts.

If you orphan your soaps, you don't get any promotion bump from viewers of your other soaps (who are, by definition, of soap viewers). You kill the mags and sites devoted to soaps because there is not enough traffic.

My growing sense is that ATWT goes dark in 2010, and then B&B and Y&R get cancelled together in 2011. KSJ just said (in the interview I linked elsewhere) that Y&R has only a 2-year contract left with CBS. That will be the end.

• Members

I agree about ATWT, but I can't see CBS cancelling Y&R and B&B in 2011. B&B maybe, not Y&R. Y&R's demos have remained strong and that is a lot of replacement programming for CBS to find in a couple years. I see Y&R last another 5 years at least.

Archived